LOTW - 28/6/07 - Andy Barlow

Stevie_J

lotwbarlowdg0.jpg

Welcome to the fourteenth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's pudding-on-a-muffin Oldham lad, Andy Barlow.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

N.B. Sorry it's a day late again - life's hectic!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

I remember the Championship season, even though I was only a little nipper and boy what a player. Seem to recall him winning player of the year that very season and being held in similar acclaim to that which Chris Taylor is at now.

Quality full back. Probably one of the best the club will see for many a year. Made even more brilliant the fact he was a local lad.

No stories at all about him. Seem to recall him happily abliging my brother with a signature once, but that's about it.

Just one of those players I think everybody loved.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Only player I really have a story about. We were in the Wren's nest near the Nat west on Yaaarkshire st. It was a Friday before a game and we were shocked to see Andy with a drink in his hand. My brother asked if he was playing or not. Andy said he wasn't, as we had just paid money for Earl the Pearl and the board said he must play. It wasn't a ploy that went on for too long though, and the rest is as they say history.

Rocky is right. A team packed full of legends like Ritchie, Marshall, Barrett, Palmer; Holden; Halle; Redfearn; Hallworth etc and the Player of the Season in the Year we won the League was local lad Andy Barlow.

Never a spectacular footballer in my eyes but solid, loyal and a real team player.

Unfortunately, my over-riding memory of him is seeing the lad trudge of the pitch draped in an Oldham flag at the end of the Littlewoods Cup Final.

On a brighter note, Andy invented a new dietary trend in Oldham when he told the Programme Editor of his favourite meal - Pudding on a Muffin! :lol:

absolout ledge for me simply for going down like a sack of spuds for that penalty agianst the wendies who chopped him down as well ? lol thank you again mr sheridan !.

always seemed quite and unasuming to me just a local lad playing for his home town no big deal was how he came accross

wasent he very good at rugby didnt he have the choice of us or the eggchasers at 16?

I remember the Championship season well and him winning player of the year that season, I thought the Wednesday game was one of his worst games that season and then Shezza dumped him on his arse and rest as they say is history!!!!! :D

Good hard working full back who battled for the cause as he was a local lad, I think he went to Hulme Grammar his younger brother Chris used to go to Hathershaw with a few of my mates!!!

I met him at the then annual "Charity Oldham Cricket Match" when Latics stars played against the Rugby lads. Quality day out and a real chance for the fans to have achat with their heroes. Anyway it was Andy who I got chatting to in the bar and with me being a young lad who was besotted with Latics

ooops pressed send by accident.....anywayy was chatting with Andy in the bar and he was telling me about Boundary Park juniors and how he started his career playing for them. I mentioned I was a budding young footy player and he replied he would pop round to my house on Ripponden Road with some details during the week. And so he did I couldnt believe it when he turned up at my door...one of Latics first team in MY HOUSE!! True Legend and after all this rubbish being talked about Porter and a lack of loyalty Andy Barlow was a one off and a true blue...we could do with a few more like him

Didnt he live near Counthill School in Moorside??

Puddin on a Muffin....Class!! :chubb:

He was the local lad playing for Latics who we all aspired to be, like Chris Taylor is now. He was a strong tackler and could get the ball to the winger quickly enough to set up those free-flowing attacks for which Latics were famous and admired by fans of other clubs.

I played in my family's Dads v Lads game on the artificial pitch at BP and after the game Andy presented the trophy - he would go out of his way to oblige when asked to do anything like that.

If he'd had an agent like Chris Porter, he'd have benefitted from a lucrative deal with a company making puddin' on a muffin.

I remember the Championship season well and him winning player of the year that season, I thought the Wednesday game was one of his worst games that season and then Shezza dumped him on his arse and rest as they say is history!!!!! :D

Good hard working full back who battled for the cause as he was a local lad, I think he went to Hulme Grammar his younger brother Chris used to go to Hathershaw with a few of my mates!!!

I used to play football with Chris at Bergmans and Chadderton. He was also a good footballer.

Andy though was one of the last in 'proper' footballers, he came across as a chap who lived and breathed football, yet did it in his own way.

Leg end Andy!!

andy true legend - my dad used too work with his dad so we got to know quite a bit that was going on - his brother chris is the same age as me and we played against each other loads of times, if you ever spoke to their dad he reckons that chris would of been a better player than andy had he put his mind to it.

any way my connection with andy is i have the no 15 shirt he wore when we beat sheff wed

andy true legend - my dad used too work with his dad so we got to know quite a bit that was going on - his brother chris is the same age as me and we played against each other loads of times, if you ever spoke to their dad he reckons that chris would of been a better player than andy had he put his mind to it.

any way my connection with andy is i have the no 15 shirt he wore when we beat sheff wed

That must be one prized possession!

Beat me to it! Swine. :wink:

Puddin' on a Muffin...on Friday night. I remember him saying in an interview in the match programme once that it was traditional to get chippy tea on a Friday, so it was Puddin' on a Muffin. He said after that, he didn't need much by way of a pre-match meal. Pure class.

Has anyone heard a song by the Oldham Tinkers called John Willie's Horse? I can't hear that song without thinking of Barlow. True Oldham hero.

wasent he very good at rugby didnt he have the choice of us or the eggchasers at 16?

You are right peanuts Andy was good at rugby as well. He played at Wembley with my schoolmate Mick Ford (who went on to play for Wigan and manage Oldham RLFC) as a junior schoolkid before the Challenge Cup Final in (i think '77).

I played with Andy at football for the Oldham town team, he went to Hulme Grammer and was the only kid on the team that wore a gum shield and even at 15 he had thighs like tree trunks. In them days (1982) there was no such things as Academys for youngsters and there would be one match a year when all the clubs scouts would attend and the guys that shone would be picked up by a club. In 1982 the trial match was against Bradford (not that you are interested but i played up front and had a stinker).

Andy, as ever, was brilliant at left back against Bradford and after the match our coach (Graham Hollinshead from Grange School) came into the changing rooms and asked Mick Ford to talk to one scout (he signed for Tics for a season before being released then he persued his rugby career), Ian Smith went to Bolton (he is now a Super League Rugby Referee) and Andy went to Notts Forest, i'm not sure if he went for one or two seasons.

Andy was a great guy and even at schoolboy level we all knew he would make it professionally. I'm chuffed i could share this memory of him with you guys.

Great young player at Division Two level. Great to have a local lad in the team giving it his all. Unfortunately my lasting memory is of him vs Kanchelsis. I am sure Andrei skinned many a full-back but it really was man against boy when we played scum. Top bloke though!

I’m going for the obscurity award here. A few years back I called into an agency I was working for in Croydon to give a Christmas present over. The blokes were all getting beered up in the office before going out for their Christmas do whilst the girls got tarted up, and they offered me a beer whilst I was waiting for the bird I dealt with to come out. One of them spotted my scarf and mentioned that his uncle had played for us, it was indeed Sir Andy. This lad’s dad had moved to Reading when he was quite young and supported them. I said that they must have loved it when Reading played us. He said that it was, they used to go down to the touchline and abuse him for 90 minutes. Nice eh?