The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

While it doesn't greatly interest me like it clearly does you I get all that but we've always been world leaders in Science, long before the EU - yet again, why would that change if we weren't in the EU?

Fully admit that (in the post itself no less). Just your comment that space exploration/industry is not worthwhile was wrong, in my opinion.

The fear of losing trade is massively overstated. Even in the implausible outcome of no trade arrangement being made we'd face average tariffs of 3%. I'd swap that for being able to trade openly with growing economies rather than locking ourselves further into the basket cases over the water.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27882954

I don't see the EU stopping us doing that.

I'm the opposite, don't know anybody personally that's voting IN.

It doesn't surprise me. I think it's very likely that people you choose to hang around with often have similar political and world views. That's one reason this discussion is so interesting, it opens our eyes to other peoples' views we might not necessarily have heard otherwise.

Ah the tories...do you seriously believe they would spend any extra money where it's most needed? They'll update Trident cos that's really really vital to the wellbeing of the British people, :censored: giving doctors a decent wage eh?

eh? you do realise what doctors earn during their career??

Les' face it, Johnny Foreigner is still a suspicious :censored:. Much prefer the little Englander, small business people who are the driving force behind this. Once they get us out of all that continental rubbish we can move forward as a unified nation (apart from Scotland, who'll have another vote and piss off - added bonus). Problem is, we'll need to be more competitive. No more cheap Polish labour. To do this, we'll have to get rid of the minimum wage. Don't worry. We'll have more jobs, eventually. Still, we''ll need to compete with the EU for global investment. Given they're a big market, and we're not, we'll have to offer extra incentives for investors. Tax breaks. It's the only way to compete with growing economies such as those in Africa, India and China, ie the ones who pay piss all in wages and have even fewer safeguards for workers. Still, we must compete.

There you go. Low skilled, low wage economy at one end, tax haven for the rich at the other end. It's the only way to compete, but at least we won't have any more foreigners coming over here boosting our economy as they have done for decades.

God bless white van man and the small business man!

The 'In' camp talks of uncertainty if we leave, but what of the certainty if we stay - more unification, more Brussels control.

To vote 'In' is not a vote for the status quo.

The EU has not been capable of reform eg the Common Agricultural Policy and Fisheries policy.

If Cameron was convinced that his negotiated reforms were a starting point for future reform he would campaign on that basis, but no all we get are scare stories.

Anyway, lest we forget, we've had unprecedented peace, stability and growth since the start of the EEC. No more nasty European wars (for members). That alone is reason to stay.

AND, don't forget, if we go then Tim Dieng goes.....

Agree about Dieng - shame if it happened, but NATO has kept the peace. The EU seems hell-bent on confronting Putin.

We've got alot of experience on this board of debating tough subjects e.g. chef Evans which was debated far better on here from both sides than on social media. Knowone has gone down the racism line yet which could well happen within the next 25 pages.

While some will want to leave the EU because of fears that immigration is causing an increase in the benefits bill for the UK and that they are taking jobs of British people. It's unfair to label people racist for having these concerns. What I would say is that these concerns are unfounded statistically EU immigrants are far more likely to come here for work and contribute to our economy and take less benefits than people born here. The unemployment rates are also lower here than they are in any of the other G8 nations.

It's abit naive to suggest we can just quickly negotiate trade deals on our terms if we were to opt out. The EU won't be that keen to play ball with us for wanting a divorce. The same reason the rest of the UK wouldn't if Scotland went independent it can and will get messy.

People are about us being a sovereign country if we went independent. We have hundreds of international agreements the only country that remains sovereign is North Korea. However the EU did not decide on cuts to disability benefits, cuts in tax, air strikes in Syria, changes to the NHS. These are decisions taken in Westminster. This is how it should stay aswell if anything the EU should hand states back more power we are not the only nation that thinks this. Thats why I say we stay in and drive the change.

I agree that the vast majority of EU immigrants come here to work. But for every job they get a British person loses out and claims benefits. Cameron's so called reforms won't make the slightest difference.

We buy more from the EU than they buy from us, and the companies selling to us will tell their governments to get their fingers out and force the EU negotiators to do a deal. We would also be free to do our own trade deals with any country in the world, which at the moment we are not allowed to do.

Scotland will not go independent on this issue. The SNP is spouting a lot of hot air, but won't chance another referendum (which the UK government has to sanction) until they are certain they can win it.

The EU wants all countries to have the same VAT rates, and we cannot remove it from anything once its applied. We are only allowed to lower it to 5% which happened when we attempted to remove VAT from energy bills.

Everything the EU does s decided by 28 unelected, unaccountable commissioners. The European government rubber stamps their decisions, which are then either put directly onto our statute books without parliament discussing them, or they are discussed and rubber stamped.

The money wasted by the EU is ludicrous. As an example when the (what is now the EU was started). 5 of the 6 countries wanted the official buildings and government to be in Brussels. The French sad NO it has to be in France, so they came up with the usual EU compromise 3 weeks in Brussels and a week in Strasbourg every month. This still happens. They charter 4 trains, umpteen lorries and cars to take all documents and staff backwards and forwards every month.

The accounts of the EU have never been signed off by auditors as being true and fair. How many companies would get away with that?

The only reason the EU wants the UK as a member is because we contribute £19bn a year into their coffers for them to waste. Yes we get a rebate of around £5bn, which they will try in future to erode, and we get around £4bn back in grants, but they decide where the money has to go. Just think what we could do with the remaining £10bn a year if we didn't hand it over to them. Plus the £4bn would also be spent where we wanted to spend it.

Look what the EU has done to Greece. Allowed it to join the Euro when they new Greece did not meet requirements. Then when everything goes tits up tells them how to govern their own country in order to be bailed out, or go bust and any Greek with savings would lose the lot. Except the wealthy ones who can move their money out of the country. The Greeks are also left in the lurch without any help with the migrants swarming over from Turkey.

There's lots more I could say but I think that's enough for now.

Anyway, lest we forget, we've had unprecedented peace, stability and growth since the start of the EEC. No more nasty European wars (for members). That alone is reason to stay.

AND, don't forget, if we go then Tim Dieng goes.....

That has nothing at all to do with the EU. Nato has kept the peace. The EU is more likely to cause a war in the future.

I don't get why leaving would affect Latics current squad?

I also don't get why it would mean we would have to stop making space exploration contributions?

Both of these are big interests of mine, but it sounds like scaremongering to me.

Tim Dieng wouldn't get a work permit.

Tim Dieng wouldn't get a work permit.

Tim Dieng will be long gone.

The two years to exit doesn't start on June 24th, it starts when the government want it to start. We may not even be out of the EU by the next general election.

Edit: should the vote be to leave of course.

Edited by blueatheart

What happens to the Bosman ruling (and all other EU law) if we leave?

Farage argues that the EU has been making 75% of law since 1975 (or whatever). That's a lot of laws. No one knows what they all are but I bet we're all quite attached to one or two of them. Are they all simply repealed if we leave? Which ones are we keeping and which ones are we ditching? What happens to the acquis communautaire of we leave?

I'm not waiting for Farage to answer that important question because he's too busy driving round in a van with White Christmas blaring out.

What happens to the Bosman ruling (and all other EU law) if we leave?

Farage argues that the EU has been making 75% of law since 1975 (or whatever). That's a lot of laws. No one knows what they all are but I bet we're all quite attached to one or two of them. Are they all simply repealed if we leave? Which ones are we keeping and which ones are we ditching? What happens to the acquis communautaire of we leave?

I'm not waiting for Farage to answer that important question because he's too busy driving round in a van with White Christmas blaring out.

Interesting question that. My thinking is that the likes of Bosman might be tested and a new precedent set without the European Court to appeal to, but it's not like an English court today would allow the previous system either. It should do away with situations like the Commission meeting to decide how to break their own laws to restrict freedom of employment for players as they have done.

Presumably the vast bulk of directives have been adopted via Parliament and would have to be repealed as desired? Might be some overtime going for that.