The EU referendum - 23rd June

Matt

The EU referendum  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the UK to leave or remain in the EU?

• Leave the EU
    • Remain in the EU
    • Currently undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Good to see that our sovereign judicial and legal systems are working to protect this Great Britain of ours!

Indeed. It will change nowt like, except perhaps deliver a thumping Tory majority and UKIP taking swathes of Northern Labour seats in a snap election

Indeed. It will change nowt like, except perhaps deliver a thumping Tory majority and UKIP taking swathes of Northern Labour seats in a snap election

Agreed, Labour are :censored:ed. UKIP will clean up all the turkeys voting for Xmas votes in the North.

On the plus side, will be hilarious watching the swathes of UKIP numpties unravel once they are elected as MPs and have to actually do something beyond shouting nonsense every election time.

A general election now wouldn't be pretty for Labour. It turns out that the alternative to centre left politics is far left politics, the alternative to which in turn is far right politics. It's possible that in just six years you can replace a majority centre left opposition with a far right one - in which I include the SNP.

General election is making a lot of sense though. It just means May won't be beholden to any one group of dissenters, one way or the other. I still reckon we're not leaving the EU though. I got pissed the other week and had a rash bet: I win £100 if we're still in the EU at the time of the next election. Bring it on!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the Man U story if only because of the throwback to the Fergie era. They're :censored:ed and they know it...but absolutely have to blame the nearest external factor.

Throwbacks, eh. I'd forgotten about that time you stood for Parliament on this issue.

Throwbacks, eh. I'd forgotten about that time you stood for Parliament on this issue.

I stand by it. Pre-Lisbon pre-euro remain vote would've settled the question for another 40 years. Leaving pre-Lisbon and pre-euro would've been far less damaging. The talk at the time was of a two-speed Europe where you opted in to the things you liked and reserved the right to opt in to things you didn't like, which is sensible enough.

We are where we are...we're leaving (but still haven't left) and we're kicking out foreigners, so you've got what you wanted and voted for.

Having said that...I do actually know :censored: all about politics and always make the wrong choice...but was happy to take Jimmy Goldsmith's cash.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

• 3 weeks later...
On Thursday, November 03, 2016 at 10:14 AM, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Article 50 been triggered yet? No, because there's been no vote in Parliament and there won't be one because May currently can't win. The wait goes on, alas.

Any updates from our man on the inside?

13 hours ago, leeslover said:

Any updates from our man on the inside?

Looks like tomorrow could be the day. Strangely, there's no legal reason why either or any of the 28 parties can't just stop negotiating and call it off as a bad job. 

To be fair, the more I think about May, the more I think she'll actually do it. My first impression was she's a pragmatist...and therefore would rather do anything than orientate a resistant and ill-equipped civil service to undertake national suicide. Now I think she'd rather do anything than shrink away from doing what she's said she'll do, even if that means national suicide. She'll be fine, just like Cameron. I'll be fine, to an extent. It's the people who voted Brexit who have most to worry about - the M62 corridor, the farmers, the fisherfucks, the Welsh and so on.

Flashforward 10 years. A suburban estate on the outskirts of Rotherham. See that clapped out car in the driveway? That car used to run when we were in the EU. 

On the plus side, it looks like the Norn Irish might be off sooner rather than later. Even the prods will vote for it if deserting the sinking RMS United Kingdom means €€€.

I kind of read this the same way that one stares into space for no apparent reason.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/04/04/may-s-entire-brexit-plan-has-fallen-apart-and-the-press-are

'We're trimming this up for the 2020 election, it won't be finished for decades, and then what you will get is nothing like what we're selling to you now'

EU lite. Tell me something new. I dread to think how much this referendum has cost us so far...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Just won £100 on politics. 

Last June, drunk, I bet someone £100 that we wouldn't leave the EU before the next general election.

Get the fuck in there.

And I get six weeks off. 

I'm trying to imagine the look on the Labour MPs faces as the go through the lobby.

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

I'm trying to imagine the look on the Labour MPs faces as the go through the lobby.

Probably don't look any different to how they've looked for the past two years. What are the odds on Labour going down to 80-90 seats? Probably not as long as anyone would like. 

The real group getting a shoeing at the general election is the Tory right. Larger majority means they have less power or no power at all, whereas at the moment they have lots. If May wants soft or no Brexit...this is the play.

I read a view that the timing is perfect for the Blairites, they will avoid anything that looks disloyal to let Jez shoulder the blame and the survivors have 5 years before they can be purged.

I do wonder if it comes slightly too late for UKIP to wipe Labour out SNP stylee in the Northern cities.

32 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I read a view that the timing is perfect for the Blairites, they will avoid anything that looks disloyal to let Jez shoulder the blame and the survivors have 5 years before they can be purged.

I do wonder if it comes slightly too late for UKIP to wipe Labour out SNP stylee in the Northern cities.

Yeah I don't think it'll happen for UKIP. UKIP's just a gateway drug for a full swing to the Tories. And your northern cities were never that keen on UKIP...it's your northern towns in the M62 corridor where they might have had a chance once upon a time.

I honestly don't know how many seats Labour will end up with. 80-90? Fewer? Anything can happen.

I can't see who Labour will lose that many seats to. I do expect some spectacular losses in Leave heartlands where the Labour  candidate won't let it go but there are more than 90 where the Tories simply couldn't win whatever the national swing. If UKIP hadn't been attempting to top themselves it could have been different 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

I can't see who Labour will lose that many seats to. I do expect some spectacular losses in Leave heartlands where the Labour  candidate won't let it go but there are more than 90 where the Tories simply couldn't win whatever the national swing. If UKIP hadn't been attempting to top themselves it could have been different 

Seriously. This is the Bermondsey by-election 1983 for Labour. I honestly believe that Progress and Momentum candidates alike could get beaten by anyone, anywhere. I can't see Momentum voters turning out for Progress candidates and vice versa. It's that bad. For the past two years, the Labour Party has existed in name only. I can vote for Harriett Harman (if she stands), but I probably wouldn't vote for Angela Rayner or Richard Burgon. 

I'll have a look at the odds later but <100 seats should be a decent bet.