Sheridan - Every vacant managerial post?

I've been a member of this forum for many years, and I don't post much. I don't ever post rumours...

However I have heard today - from a very good source that I won't be naming - that Sheridan was "definitely interviewed by Andy Townsend for the Bolton job".

There's no way I can say how I know this as it might get people in trouble - but you can take from the fact that I've never posted anything like this before that I'm not just fabricating it.

That's good as we'll be able to sue them for an illegal approach as the club said they had heard nothing from Bolton about speaking to Shez. We can spend the money on keeping Mike Jones!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it more likely he'll end up at Leeds than Bolton.

With each passing day it seems more and more stories come out about just how bad things are at Bolton. Sports Shield don't appear to have any of their own money and they could be in administration before the start of the season if new investors aren't found. More managers turning them down (Chris Powell supposedly the latest) and there are rumours that Holdsworth now wants to appoint himself as no one else they fancy wants to take it.

Leeds have a completely crazy owner, and there's an even money chance he'd get sacked before Christmas, but he'd probably earn triple what he makes here doing so. He'll know he'd be up against it dealing with Cellino, but for managers like Shez, who didn't make the massive money during their playing careers, they have to think of their own financial security as much as the rest of us do. If there's good money on offer at a big club in the Championship it must be very tempting for him, despite the less than ideal circumstances.

Having said all that, the Leeds fans I know don't seem to be taking the Shez rumours very seriously yet, despite the bookies odds. They point out that several other managers have been odds on for the job over the last couple of years and not ended up getting it - last week Walter Zenga was odds on apparently.

In my opinoin, given that I now have no doubt that Sheridan talked to Townsend regarding Bolton, it's only going to be a matter of time before he moves on and it'll be much sooner rather than later.

If I added £20k a year on to your salary, you'd probably move on too. Regardless of the financial state of the club you are moving to.

If I added £20k a year on to your salary, you'd probably move on too. Regardless of the financial state of the club you are moving to.

Job security is important too. Extra salary but sacked by Christmas as expectations were too high? Not as simple as you suggest.

I've been a member of this forum for many years, and I don't post much. I don't ever post rumours...

However I have heard today - from a very good source that I won't be naming - that Sheridan was "definitely interviewed by Andy Townsend for the Bolton job".

There's no way I can say how I know this as it might get people in trouble - but you can take from the fact that I've never posted anything like this before that I'm not just fabricating it.

Not saying your source is wrong but if he's actually had an interview already it makes the statement from the board about not welcoming a Sheridan approach a bit strange.

I never said or indicated that I wouldn't - hence I'm saying he'll be gone sooner rather than later in my opinion.

I won't hold it against him but I'm disapointed as I believe that if he stuck around we'd be able to build a squad capable of actually getting us into the Championship or having a good stab at it anyway.

We really are viewed as a club where if anyone shows the slightest potential here they're gone in a flash.

He may have met with Andy Townsend who wil be in the local area being employed by Bolton after the majority of his career down south.

Townsend and Shez will be mates from their Republic days. A meet up to discuss lower league football and league 1 next season maybe....an interview? maybe not

He may have met with Andy Townsend who wil be in the local area being employed by Bolton after the majority of his career down south.

Townsend and Shez will be mates from their Republic days. A meet up to discuss lower league football and league 1 next season maybe....an interview? maybe not

I'd be hoping you'd be right - but the word used by my source was 'interview'.

Again, I don't particularly want to fuel a fire of rumour but my source would know what he was talking about.

I think both Nohairdontcare and the club are probably telling the truth.

There will not have been an official approach but it's quite likely that he did meet with Townsend. It's easy enough for them to pass off what was to all intents and purposes an interview, as 2 old Ireland team mates catching up for a drink and a chat.

Given the way his odds have drifted out since though, it sounds like they didn't reach an any agreement.

Job security is important too. Extra salary but sacked by Christmas as expectations were too high? Not as simple as you suggest.

But job security doesn't exist in football. If we are in the relegation zone and out of all cups by December th Shezurrection will be a memory and this board will be calling for his head.

If he gets a good long contract at Leeds, then even if sacked he will get the payout

But job security doesn't exist in football. If we are in the relegation zone and out of all cups by December th Shezurrection will be a memory and this board will be calling for his head.

If he gets a good long contract at Leeds, then even if sacked he will get the payout

Was talking about the Bolton job. Financial state of that club may mean no guarantee of a pay out.

Leeds is a different story. Owner is a nutter but it could be a risk free move for him. Failure wouldn't harm his chances getting another job in league 1 or 2. And a payout after 6 months is almost nailed on!

That's good as we'll be able to sue them for an illegal approach as the club said they had heard nothing from Bolton about speaking to Shez. We can spend the money on keeping Mike Jones!

Unless, of course, Latics were talking bollocks. Again.

"Oldham boss and former Leeds midfielder John Sheridan has held a second round of talks about the Elland Road job and is now odds-on favourite with the bookies to make a return to the Yorkshire giants."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-evans-set-leeds-axe-7945915

The club haven't come out and issued a hands off like they did around the Bolton rumour. If it is true and Shez has spoken to Leeds, I find it odd we've let Shez make the decisions on the retained list, another manager might have different ideas.

Maybe Shez has got wind of our paltry budget for next season?

I've always thought this would be the bit that pushed him away .. let's face it, who'd blame him? .. works hard to save the club from the drop, then gets told he's can't have xyz as there's no money in the pot

.. tbh I fear the worst!

The club haven't come out and issued a hands off like they did around the Bolton rumour. If it is true and Shez has spoken to Leeds, I find it odd we've let Shez make the decisions on the retained list, another manager might have different ideas.

If the club aren't careful they'll end up issuing statements about what's for lunch.

Speculation is just that until something happens.