Pre season protest

Don't worry all the finances are in place to complete the North Stand.

Preceisly, all finances. Just because you have £6.5m in your bank account doesn't mean you don't have to pay it back to someone.

Secured loans are not new and "the finances in place" tends to mean that the bank manager (or investor) agrees that the risk is worth taking for their business.

Edit: you'll find that the "finances" will have come from numerous sources. The gym may have paid £50k upfront, the council give the club a million (I think), the NHS part may have had some money upfront. Corney didn't look in his wallet and see £6.5m smiling back at him.

Stop living in such a simplistic world, this isn't the 1800's.

Edited by blueatheart

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preceisly, all finances. Just because you have £6.5m in your bank account doesn't mean you don't have to pay it back to someone.

Secured loans are not new and "the finances in place" tends to mean that the bank manager (or investor) agrees that the risk is worth taking for their business.

Edit: you'll find that the "finances" will have come from numerous sources. The gym may have paid £50k upfront, the council give the club a million (I think), the NHS part may have had some money upfront. Corney didn't look in his wallet and see £6.5m smiling back at him.

Stop living in such a simplistic world, this isn't the 1800's.

I think he's referring to a quote from Mr. Corney there when doubts were raised when things came to a grinding halt at one point

FFS boys if your going to organise a protest do it when most people are off work. I know tensions are running high but it looks like there's about 40 people there, shows how serious the club has took this protest when there's no coppers or stewards about. I applaud your effort but that today was a waste of your time.

Everything to the with the club screams Conference football, were punching above our weight and have since the late eighties on the famous run up to the glory years , we should count ourselves lucky to be in division three

We've dropped a level every year since Dowie left or imo Chris Moore's money we'd get eaten alive in the Championship, what do people expect honestly?

Sheridan wasn't getting us up this year or next or anytime soon after, there are managers out there who would love to take over one of the top 70 teams in the country,

What we don't have is a money bags chairman, what we do have is a phone salesman and a prison officer or whatever making football decisions,

I like Corney and everything he has done for the club but he's a phone salesman.

There is no one around him football minded maybe only Philiskirk but he's a kids coach

We're not getting a money bags in the near future

We live in between too of the biggest clubs in Europe and rather than that hinder us we should try and find away to make it a positive somehow

If you buy a house, you have to pay a mortgage. If you build a new £7m stand, you have to pay for it.

This stand will not be making a penny of profit yet. Unless of course you think Corney pulled £7m out of his arse of course.

This really is simple finance, anyone with even a basic understanding of investments or building projects should be able to understand that the minute the front doors open does not equal the minute it starts to make a profit.

Ergo, the playing budget cannot and will not increase until the gearing of the business (or businesses) reduces. Long term, the stand will make profit, and plenty of it. Short term, it will be painful.

Plenty of businesses have failed after over stretching themselves and it feels like this stand has been the same for latics.

I am not sure of your conclusion-has the business 'failed' or do you mean struggled?

Most of the critics do not demand an immediate increase to the 'normal' playing budget-just not a big decrease that might lead to relegation

Btw your house and mortgage analagy are overly simplistic

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Thought the athleticos supported the club no matter what? First they helped sing to get kelly out and now leading the protests to bin the owner. Maybe they can now accept they are no better than the rest of us?

Supporting the club and wanting the owner to put some money in or leave are not mutually exclusive.

In fact they go pretty much hand in hand.

Public meeting. Sat 4th June Midday Grey Mare pub. Have asked for trust to attended. Mark from the pub who also has the bluebell is fully behind the group and has asked me if i would like to do this Saturday. Anyone wanting to come please do. Its not just "spotty teenagers" or a group of "bored school kids" with concerns. We really want to avoid a Blackpool or Charlton situation hence the wording of the banner today. I have had loads of the older fans actually tell me they are glad someone has stood up and asked questions. I started the Facebook group but by no means see myself as a leader of any group we are all fans and I am more than happy for someone with better righting and communication skills to lead this. Today was not a massive turnout but I got lots of messages of support from fans who was either working or couldn't make it for one reason or another. I respect we don't all see things the same way though.

From that photo I'd say at least half go home and away, many of them sing for 90 minutes and amongst them are a few spotty teenagers.For those with passion I think it wise not to bash it out of them, many of them whether we like it or not are the future of this club, there's no doubt they need some guidance and direction but for them it's a start, Mark at the Mare is no mug and the protest group is starting to build up momentum I think in the long run this could help our cause rather than hinder it.

What facebook group?

Think it's Oldham Athletic Protest Group.

Good on all those who turned up. Decent tone to the message and they care.

After this rotten year+ there's lots of discontent, and it's a better way of voicing it than not renewing imo.

The problem is it's a protest about an owner not putting enough money in, when we already know he hasn't got the millions required. The next message is to leave if he's not going to do this, well it's no secret that the club has been up for sale for a number of years and there's been no credible takers.

We're all pissed off with Latics fortunes the last 12 months, and it's great those people feel passionate enough to voice their concerns, but no club that has this type of fan protest going on has prospered. As somebody else pointed out, if 3000 or so of us put £1 a week into the club we could increase the playing budget (with assurances that's where it would go) by £150K, wouldn't that be a better more helpful thing to do?

The problem is it's a protest about an owner not putting enough money in, when we already know he hasn't got the millions required. The next message is to leave if he's not going to do this, well it's no secret that the club has been up for sale for a number of years and there's been no credible takers.

We're all pissed off with Latics fortunes the last 12 months, and it's great those people feel passionate enough to voice their concerns, but no club that has this type of fan protest going on has prospered. As somebody else pointed out, if 3000 or so of us put £1 a week into the club we could increase the playing budget (with assurances that's where it would go) by £150K, wouldn't that be a better more helpful thing to do?

There has been credible interest in the club. The problem is that the price keeps increasing as more losses are made.