Latics v Foreign teams at BP?

I came across this 1971 programme on ebay, and I'm trying to rack my brains as to the foreign teams we have played at BP.

As well as Borussia Dortmund (think it was 0-0) I remember teams from Brazil, Italy, Czechoslovakia (not sure who they were) and Switzerland (FC Thun).

Has anyone a comprehensive list?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by BP1960

I came across this 1971 programme on ebay, and I'm trying to rack my brains as to the foreign teams we have played at BP.

As well as Borussia Dortmund (think it was 0-0) I remember teams from Brazil, Italy, Czechoslovakia (not sure who they were) and Switzerland (FC Thun).

Melbourne City a few seasons back, Perugia in the Anglo Italian cup in the 90's

s-l1600.jpg

Was mentioned by me and Savagethebeaat in a earlier discussion on Twitter we once played Internacional from Brazil.

I think we lost that 1-0, goalkeeper John Platt had a blinder on his first team debut, the Brazilians had about 300 shots on target and he saved all but one.

Melbourne City a few seasons back, Perugia in the Anglo Italian cup in the 90's

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, Perugia, I forgot about Melbourne City.

s-l1600.jpg

That bloke in the blue shirt looks like a cyborg.

My favourite match against johnny foreigners was the one against Dynamo Tbilisi (i think). Didn't they knick the boots used for the plastic pitch?

I remember a friendly in about 1967 against a swiss team FC Thun I think it was. It was in the Ken Bates era and Latics had recently signed John Collins who was reputed to be paid £50 for every goal he scored. I think Latics won the game 6-0, all goals scored by Collins but the £50 per goal did not apply to friendlies.

Also vaguely remember a friendly agains Sofia Select Bulgaria in the Bobby Johnstone era. I think Latics won 3-2.

NB my recollection of the details may not be 100% accurate

Edited by eddyblue

That bloke in the blue shirt looks like a cyborg.

My favourite match against johnny foreigners was the one against Dynamo Tbilisi (i think). Didn't they knick the boots used for the plastic pitch?

Yes, Dynamo Tbilisi on the plastic pitch with many of the wonderful players that took us to the Premier League. I enjoyed that one. I remember it as being 3-0, to us, but an online report says 1-0. Mind you, I am very old and tired and I do always remember things as being even better than they actually are / were - it's a gift really.

Yes, Dynamo Tbilisi on the plastic pitch with many of the wonderful players that took us to the Premier League. I enjoyed that one. I remember it as being 3-0, to us, but an online report says 1-0. Mind you, I am very old and tired and I do always remember things as being even better than they actually are / were - it's a gift really.

It was 3-0, are pictures on OAFC memories on twitter

Tbilisi didn't know it was a plastics pitch so Latics 'officials' bought 20 pairs of all weather boots for them which they took home with them.

Edited by palmer1