Latics v Foreign teams at BP?

Jesus, I remember that Cesena game.....I wish I couldn't. I was in my early teens and it nearly put me off for life

Didn't pour down all night too just to make it more memorable?

Edited by BP1960

It was 3-0, are pictures on OAFC memories on twitter

Tbilisi didn't know it was a plastics pitch so Latics 'officials' bought 20 pairs of all weather boots for them which they took home with them.

4-0 mate the iron curtain was just about hanging on in Georgia...

I remember a friendly in about 1967 against a swiss team FC Thun I think it was. It was in the Ken Bates era and Latics had recently signed John Collins who was reputed to be paid £50 for every goal he scored. I think Latics won the game 6-0, all goals scored by Collins but the £50 per goal did not apply to friendlies.

Also vaguely remember a friendly agains Sofia Select Bulgaria in the Bobby Johnstone era. I think Latics won 3-2.

NB my recollection of the details may not be 100% accurate

We actually won 9-2, and Collins got six

Not sure which Bucharest maybe Dynamo but we played them at Leigh Sports village

Was it was Dinamo Bucharest we played that night, Steua was behind closed doors at Leigh Sports village. Can we add the Isle of Mann, Lost a friendly to Falkirk when Dickov was in charge played at Northwich Vics, Diego Sideburns was there also. Rhyl a few seasons back first night the Ernie Flag was launched.

In 2002 at Witton Albion ground I saw us play Thailand under 19 national side, it was our youth teams as part of a 3 team tournament along with Manchester City youth side. Andy Ritchie was there.

Following season suppose to have been bigger with both Old firm clubs sending there youth teams down, China under 19 to be plate sat Radcliffe Boro & Stalybridge but was called off due to the SARS outbreak.

Latics youth team played USA under 20s a few years ago. I was there but I can't recollect the venue, think it was Chapel Road.

I remember one of the US players impressing me though called Michael Bradley.

Edited by BP1960

Just to expand the theme, what foreign tours have the Latics undertaken?..I seem to remember one to Malawi in the 1960s.

I know one the US players impressed me called Michael Bradley.

didnt we tour Rhodesia in the late sixties due to ken bates conections

It wasn't at Boundary Park but I recall watching us play Baltimore Blast at the G-Mex in the early 90's (91?). It was an indoor exhibition game before the 'Guinness Soccer 6' tournament.

If memory serves me correct we were handily beaten by a team that knew how to play the indoor game.

It wasn't at Boundary Park but I recall watching us play Baltimore Blast at the G-Mex in the early 90's (91?). It was an indoor exhibition game before the 'Guinness Soccer 6' tournament.

If memory serves me correct we were handily beaten by a team that knew how to play the indoor game.

If I recall it was 7-1 and they were specifically an 'indoor team'