Latics v Foreign teams at BP?

I remember Latics playing an all Ireland team in a testimonial game.

Ronnie Blair?

Yep it was the Ronnie Blair testimonial - I have the programme at home somewhere

That was when testimonials were the proper thing to do for long standing players or for players who had to retire through injury - but that's getting off topic

Who was the Ian Wood testimonial against?

We went to Hungary and Austria in 1910/11 and played six matches - the Austro-Hungarian Empire hosting the Latics!

That was a heck of an effort pre-airline days

When you say 'we' Pete, do you mean you were there?

I thought the game at Leigh against one of the Bucharest sides allowed fans in.

The one against the other Bucharest side at st George's park was behind closed doors.

Which one was televised live for Romanian audiences and streamed over the Internet ?

Edited by BP1960

I remember we played real Madrid at their ground during the royle era.

It was a warm up for them after the winter break. Got beat 3-0, and they paid for travelling expenses.

I know it wasn't at bp, but I thought it was worth a mention.

When we played Tbilisi the teams came on the pitch at kick off time , but had to stand around waiting.

There was some local cup final being played before , it went to penalties and finished about 10-9 to one of the teams.

This team had flown thousands of miles and what they must have thought of this is anybody's guess !

didnt we play some forign outfit pre season as part of the Goram sale deal ? think they were called Hibs or summat know they played in some obscure league

I took one on the chin that day, a load of Hibs Casuals walked down Sheepfoot Lane after the final whistle and started laying into everyone. Me and my mate where unfortunate enough to be one of the first out of the ground to catch the bus and got caught up in it!

St Kitts Festival:

23 May 1998 Trinidad & Tobago 1-1 Latics

26 May 1998 St Kitts & Nevis 1-7 Latics

Latics won the Sugar Bowl trophy and invited for trial three St Kitts & Nevis players, Serelse Cannonier, George Isaac and Keith Gumbs, before signing Gumbs. However, he had to leave two months later when the Club couldn’t get a work permit for him, as his country was not among the top 75 in the FIFA rankings.

Andy Ritchie was appointed manager on 7 May and by the start of the next season he had won his second trophy in the Isle of Man.

St Kitts Festival:

23 May 1998 Trinidad & Tobago 1-1 Latics

26 May 1998 St Kitts & Nevis 1-7 Latics

Latics won the Sugar Bowl trophy and invited for trial three St Kitts & Nevis players, Serelse Cannonier, George Isaac and Keith Gumbs, before signing Gumbs. However, he had to leave two months later when the Club couldn’t get a work permit for him, as his country was not among the top 75 in the FIFA rankings.

Andy Ritchie was appointed manager on 7 May and by the start of the next season he had won his second trophy in the Isle of Man.

Didn't Gumbs play for someone in the Football league, or am I getting confused?