New York

oafcprozac

Going to New York for my 40th in February, tips and advice needed.

Thanks in advance

Wrap up warm. Been twice in February. First time there was 25in of snow in one night, and the second time it was miles warmer (but still max temp of 0 degrees!)

Go to Gallaghers for a steak.

Expect to be paying $7-$8 a pint.

If you want to go up some tall buildings to see the views, One World Trade centre is ace for a view of Manhattan from the south of the island, and to see all around NY and NJ. Empire State Building is a great to go up at night, and Rockafeller during the day (you can see Central Park from the Rockafeller centre but not ESB. But if you go up at night you wont be able to see the park).

If you want to go to a show on Broadway, you can get discounted tickets from a booth in Times Sq on the day of the show, but you might be limited as to what is available. Good if you don't have a show in mind you want to see, but if there is something specific then it might be best to book in advance.

But the best advice I could give you would be to just explore for yourself. Its a wonderful city. You can be given loads of recommendations and try to fit things in and then miss out on other things. You'll find loads of things to do, see, places to eat, and drink. And you'll have a top time.

Flights:

Look at British Airways combined flights and hotel combined options. Often work out very cheap. But not always.

Also look at Aer Lingus via Dublin. Doing immigration pre-flight in Dublin is a major benefit.

Target price for economy flying should be c£400 return. Also price up business class from Dublin.

Including a Saturday night within the trip often shaves a few quid off prices.

Paying one way as Premium Economy will increase your luggage allowance for the whole trip.

If you fly economy leave space in your suitcase as you'll be bringing back more than you take.

Hotels:

Expect to pay £200+ a night for a room the size of a piece of A4 paper. That's before breakfast is added.

Aim to be as close to Times Square as possible. Alas the prices tend to rise the nearer you are.

Money:

Make sure you have insurance. Make sure you've notified pre-existing conditions. Make sure you contact your insurer before seeking treatment. A tooth abcess cost me $2,300 when I didn't do the latter and the insurer refused to pay.

Expect to pay a $1 tip for a drink and a 15% tip for a meal.

Get a Halifax Clarity credit card or Revolut prepay Mastercard for all use of money to get best exchange rates. Don't exchange a wad in the UK. Just take $200 for taxi and breakfast then find an ATM. Advise your card issuer that you're going. Take numerous back up cards just in case one fails you.

ATMs charge you to withdraw. TD Bank were an exception when I was there. Work out where your nearest branch is on Google Maps and withdraw there.

Weather:

It'll be bloody freezing. Be prepared to adjust your schedule to allow for snow and ice!

Getting around:

Walking is best. So plan your route carefully. Again, google maps is your friend. You'll see amazing things just by putting on foot in front of the other. I'd suggest upping your walking levels gradually for a month or so before departure to reduce the risk of muscle pain!

Things to see:

Draw up a list of what you want to see in advance and plan times and routes. Don't overfill the day. One key thing for morning and afternoon. A handful that I enjoyed ...

- Rockafeller Center gives a better view than Empire State Building. Perhaps worth doing daytime and dusk time.

- The aircraft carrier (Endurance?) with the space shuttle on it.

- Taking a yellow river taxi for a day might be chilly but wil give you the chance to see lots more and be an effective guided tour!

- Chilling out in Central Park.

There are, of course, a million other choices.

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks booked with British Airways Holidays (though actually flying with American Airlines from Manchester) - Novotel Times Square 2 Adults and a 13 year old £1,449 for three nights.

Thanks for info so far any more appreciated.

That's pretty decent value and a great location in my view. You've also got a TD Bank ATM a minute away, as well as McDonalds which might be your cheapest breakfast option if that's not included.

I'd suggest you consider extra leg room seats. More expense but actually quite cheap on AA compared to BA Premium Economy.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/main-cabin-extra.jsp

Register each of you individually with the British airways executive club if you're not already members and create a family account. You should be able to earn enough air miles (Avios) to pay for a day's car hire somewhere in future. Or a return flight for one from Manchester to London, Gothenburg or Billund. Or numerous London to Europe routes. It might even stretch to a cheap hotel for an away day. Remember to credit the flight to BAEC online before you travel.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/register-now/public/en_gb

You should be able to manage your flights on both the BA website and the AA website. From a bad experience of an AA booking on BA believe what the AA web site tells you! And if it can't find you or let you allocate a seat then ring them as there may be a fault linked to the BA booking system.

Edited by opinions4u

Went straight through to the AA site and allocated our seats looked to be very few left! As my Aunty used to be a top excecutive with Delta and I've heard the horror stories of over allocation so hopefully we're sorted now. No extra leg room left but as my daughter is only 13 that wasn't really an option anyway

Edited by oafcprozac

Thanks booked with British Airways Holidays (though actually flying with American Airlines from Manchester) - Novotel Times Square 2 Adults and a 13 year old £1,449 for three nights.

Thanks for info so far any more appreciated.

I've stayed there, it was quality. The hotel bar has a rooftop terrace that overlooks Times Sq (though might be a bit cold to sit out in Feb! Was Sept when I went and it was roasting.)

It's right in the Theatre district. The theatre opposite had Jersey Boys on when I stayed there. And its right next door to Gallaghers, which as I've said earlier on the thread, is well worth a visit if you like eating meat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Prozac, visited NYC with my other half back in June... Wrote a blog piece on it which might be useful for you

https://maweroafc.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/new-york-five-top-things-to-do-and-see/

As you can see if you read it, we found the New York Pass to be very good value for attractions - cost us £175 (I think...) but would be cheaper for a three-day pass.

• 4 months later...

Anyone give me tips on travel cards. I know we can get the 7 day metro pass but does that cover to and from JFK?

Expect to pay c$70 each way for an airport taxi. Plus tip.

I'm no expert on public transport but I dint think the JFK legs are included in weekly passes. It might be worth asking your question on the Martin Lewis forum:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2230655&page=397

For what it's worth, me, ex-Mrs o4u and o4u Jr walked everywhere and paid $30 for a river taxi day trip that took us to locations further south in Manhatten. That worked well for us. It was tiring at times but places you recognise just materialise in front of you unexpectedly. As did Rod Stewart!

So well planned daily routes thanks to Google maps worked a treat and we never ventured onto public transport.

Agree with O4U, when Raggy and I went on our mandate last year we walked everywhere too - it was February, so brisk but not bitter - once you get moving you are fine. Despite the block-system (which genuinely is super-easy to navigate) we did get lost once. But it was 1am and we were smashed, so that's on us.

I think from memory, because we didn't want a travel card, we paid about $15-20 for a single in to town from JFK - Raggy may remember better than I do, he usually does.

Oh, and get the app citymapper for whilst you are there (requires data/wifi) if you are using the subway/busses, it's brilliant.

I think from memory, because we didn't want a travel card, we paid about $15-20 for a single in to town from JFK - Raggy may remember better than I do, he usually does.

The Skytrain (I think its called) from the terminal at JFK to the metro stop at Howard Beach cost $5, and then its $2.75 for the subway journey to wherever you are staying. So its basically $5 to leave JFK by train. You can also get the airtrain to Jamaica station, so just depends where you are heading as to which subway station you want to get the airtrain to.

You can buy a prepaid metro card, which you can add credit to when you need to top up. The card is $1 + whatever you put on it. Me and Ackey loaded $20 initially, and I think we only needed to load an extra $10 when we were heading back to JFK.

Subway is $2.75 a journey, no matter how far you travel, which is pretty damn cheap. And it runs 24 hours. Be warned though, its not the nicest subway system you'll ever go on.

From the airport though, if its your first time in NY, then it might be worth getting a taxi if only for the wow factor of the first time you see the Manhattan skyline, which me and Ack didn't get when getting the subway in last year.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

It arguably is - but you should do it all the same; it's not the fault of the person on below minimum wage that the system is rigged against them. Most bills will come with a guide, but generally it's anything from 10-20% - situation depending - for a sit in meal or directed service.