New York

oafcprozac

Un my experience Americans vary their tip widely based on the service (OK, and how fit the waitress is) and good staff can make decent money, Wetherspoons types staring at a tap won't. It's part of the deal, if you don't tip on principle you are being a free riding Scrooge

Un my experience Americans vary their tip widely based on the service (OK, and how fit the waitress is) and good staff can make decent money, Wetherspoons types staring at a tap won't. It's part of the deal, if you don't tip on principle you are being a free riding Scrooge

God Bless America, can I withhold tips on the account that their President is a megolamaniac, narcissistic, loony, candy floss-haired and very suspiciously orange prick?

Yeah bars unlikely to be an issue unless they let 13 year olds in?

That will be an issue for you. My brother was "kicked out" of the hotel bar drinking Coke as a 19 year old. Having a drink with kids in tow is a problem in the US with the exception of Restaurants.

• 4 weeks later...

We Had a fantastic time for my 40th Birthday trip, thanks for the tips people

Managed Brooklyn Nets v Memphis Grizzlies at the Barclays Centre

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Tour

One World Obsevatory at top of WTC 1

9/11 Memorial

The United Narions Tour

Also took in the sights on 5th Avenue

Wall Street

Lobby and outside of the Empire State Building

Rockefeller Centre

Radio City Music Hall

Chrysler Building

Flat Iron Building

Grand Central Station

Madison Square Garden

Stayed in Times Square found it expensive and tacky. Want to go again but will stay over the bridge.

Surprised me how expensive things were luckily our budget covered it. We decided on the 7 day subway pass which

at $31 was great value as we much have hopped on and off 15-20 times. The Air Train from JFK at $5 each way was great value.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just booked at the Novotel for 8 nights from 2nd Jan for me and my partner, I notice a few have stayed here, is it a good choice? I've paid around £1100 for 8 nights, it's free cancellation so will keep an eye on price fluctuations, it is for a superior king room on a high floor with Times Square view, no breakfast, which seemed reasonable for what looks to be a good hotel. I know it will be cold but hopefully not too bad. Flying from Heathrow with British Airways which has cost about £1200 for 2 return tickets, could probably have got slightly cheaper but really wanted to fly with BA or Virgin and BA came in slightly cheaper, all in all at around £2300 for 8 nights in New York i'm relatively happy.

I've just booked at the Novotel for 8 nights from 2nd Jan for me and my partner, I notice a few have stayed here, is it a good choice? I've paid around £1100 for 8 nights, it's free cancellation so will keep an eye on price fluctuations, it is for a superior king room on a high floor with Times Square view, no breakfast, which seemed reasonable for what looks to be a good hotel. I know it will be cold but hopefully not too bad. Flying from Heathrow with British Airways which has cost about £1200 for 2 return tickets, could probably have got slightly cheaper but really wanted to fly with BA or Virgin and BA came in slightly cheaper, all in all at around £2300 for 8 nights in New York i'm relatively happy.

You've also got an $11 a night local tax to pay. & they'll charge your credit card deposit against breakages anything up to $300 I flatly refused and gave them $50 (basically a con to persuade you to open a tab for food and drink in the hotel)

You've also got an $11 a night local tax to pay. & they'll charge your credit card deposit against breakages anything up to $300 I flatly refused and gave them $50 (basically a con to persuade you to open a tab for food and drink in the hotel)

Yeah, I knew about the local tax, no major qualms with that, I guess tax and tips is something I'll have to know about, seems ridiculous that I have to tip but that's just me being tight.

Also read a few things about them charging stuff to credit cards, I'll definately keep an eye on that, and won't be opening any tabs.

Yeah it's a good choice, nice hotel right in the theatre district. Room when I stayed there was really nice, couldn't really fault it.

The hotel bar has a balcony which overlooks Times Sq, which was pretty good when I stayed there because it was 35 degrees outside, but might not be as ideal for you (unless they have heaters out there).

Gallaghers steak house is next door - I'd highly recommend that if you like eating meat. Theres a decent pub a block across too (Rosie O'Grady's).

• 4 weeks later...

Just back, quality place. Thanks for the tips, You will quickly get your bearings, so much to do, we got a 3 day nyc pass which allows you in most attractions. Empire State Building at night was awesome. We went to Woodbury common shopping on one of the days, some great deals, if you're looking for certain things have a look at home first to compare the prices. The bus is $35 so factor that in as well to see if it's worth it. Did the madison square garden tour, they are light years ahead in the entertainment side of things. Got the LIRR in to manhattan which was simple enough and got a car back to the airport, I was expecting a yellow cab and we got an SUV with tinted windows! (Everything always has to be bigger with the yanks)

Food and drink is standard and expensive which was to be expected.

we did "the ride" which proclaims to be a broadway show on wheels but I felt it was more like a pimped up bus tour with a few people singing and dancing every now and then. 

Went to get tickets for the basketball which were showing as $51 each but they quickly jumped up to €109 at the desk, might be good to prebook them. Loads of touts outside if you trust them?!?!

All in all it's a great place and just about trumps Blackpool!!!!