When life deals you an unexpected blow

opinions4u

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lung biopsy taken last night. Results next week.

They determine the treatment. They also push me a step closer to getting a best guess on how long I've got unless I become a statistical fluke and join the tiny percentage of people who sometimes keep going for years despite the disease.

There's also a marginally better, but unlikely, possibility that rather than it being lung cancer that's spread to the bone it's bone cancer that's spread to the lung. None of the medics are expecting this. It's better reading. But it's still not great.

I'm 48. I'd reached a point in life where I finally felt the happiest that I've ever been as an adult. It's amazing that in the space of a few months the symptom of a non-smoker with a bad back have escalated in to a lethal cancer that makes it unlikely I'll renew another Latics season ticket.

Maybe I'll be that fluke statistic. Perhaps I'll get lucky with a clinical trial that finds some live giving wonder drug. Perhaps my relative youth will give me more fight to beat the :censored: out of what's growing within me.

In the meantime, Scunthorpe on Saturday. While I'm walking with a slight limp following the surgery to strengthen my back I'm still there with a son who, while an adult now, still wants his dad around a bit longer. And the idea of still being around to have a third generation of us watching :censored: football at BP on a Saturday afternoon appeals, however unlikely it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Biopsy confirms that it's lung cancer that spread to the bone.

As a non-smoker they're now testing my sample to establish if there's been a genetic mutation. If there has been, they can treat me with tablets rather than chemo while hopefully finding some sort of miraculous cure.

That result due next week. It keeps dragging on.

Biopsy confirms that it's lung cancer that spread to the bone.

As a non-smoker they're now testing my sample to establish if there's been a genetic mutation. If there has been, they can treat me with tablets rather than chemo while hopefully finding some sort of miraculous cure.

That result due next week. It keeps dragging on.

Gutted for you, like everyone else we hope you can fight it as we need every latics fan we can get...haha

You know were we are if you need us

Finally got the treatment plan.

One pill a day an hour before food.

Oncologist says prognosis is 24 months. Internet suggests trials for my drug add an extra 12 months onto that. Far better than the nine months that was bandied about a few weeks back.

Still rubbish. But time to do a few good things ..

O4U - don't give up without giving it a damn good fight. Been living with the big C myself for 11 years - it keeps taking a little nibble at me every now and then - no bum now, missing half a lung, three courses of Chemo - but its not getting me that easy. Keep fighting mate - we have the conference to look forward to yet!!!

Best Wishes

John

O4U - don't give up without giving it a damn good fight. Been living with the big C myself for 11 years - it keeps taking a little nibble at me every now and then - no bum now, missing half a lung, three courses of Chemo - but its not getting me that easy. Keep fighting mate - we have the conference to look forward to yet!!!

Best Wishes

John

This, this a thousand times this.

Also goes for you Shorelatic.

Best Wishes

John

Keep going. Fantastic effort.

O4U - don't give up without giving it a damn good fight. Been living with the big C myself for 11 years - it keeps taking a little nibble at me every now and then - no bum now, missing half a lung,

Despite all that I'd rather start you at left back on Saturday than Reckord :grin:

Joking aside, best of luck to you both.

Edited by HarryBosch

Finally got the treatment plan.

One pill a day an hour before food.

Oncologist says prognosis is 24 months. Internet suggests trials for my drug add an extra 12 months onto that. Far better than the nine months that was bandied about a few weeks back.

Still rubbish. But time to do a few good things ..

Don't know if you believe in prayers, but they're being said for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice chap has now told me that I have lung cancer and that is what has spread to the spine. A bit of a shock as I'm a clean living type who has never smoked or done drugs...

I've only just seen this. Heartbroken for you mate, one of my favourite OWTB posters too (and I'm most definitely not saying that because of this).

Went through a cancer scare over Christmas and New Year in 2004-5. The moment the doctor sat me down and said they've found a tumour and it might be cancer he might as well have sat there and given me his biggest gut-punch he could muster. A flood of emotions began, from shock, to pitiful sorrow to steeling myself and trying to process what may be a short amount of time left. It felt surreal and very frightening. As it turned out the tumour was a calcified blood clot rather than malignant but the memory of being told by the doctor that day will always remain.

So I feel for you O4U, I truly hope this Christmas isn't your last, and that you get to achieve the things you've always wanted if it is terminal. But above all I wish you all the best in your battle. Kick it in the :censored:ing bollocks at the minimum. 2016 really has been the gift that has been giving repeated punches in the napper.

A week into tablet treatment and a pain that I've had on my pelvis has gone. No idea if this is coincidence or something nasty has shrunk, but I can now walk virtually as well as I could six months ago. Ironic as its been confirmed I'll get a blue badge and personal independence payments.

A week into tablet treatment and a pain that I've had on my pelvis has gone. No idea if this is coincidence or something nasty has shrunk, but I can now walk virtually as well as I could six months ago. Ironic as its been confirmed I'll get a blue badge and personal independence payments.

Keep fighting Dave, your family need you and your OAFC family need you too.

May I wish you all the best for 2017 and hope the boys can give you something to cheer about too

Tracy

I've spent the last year or so starting a new life after divorcing my wife of 20 years.

Lost seven stone. Discovered the opportunities of online dating, rebuilt my confidence and probably reached peak fitness as an adult in May this year.

June brought a bad back. I was referred for physio. After eight sessions they gave up an I was referred to a neurosurgeon. This guy showed me scans of crumbling bones in my spine and has since operated on one (verterbroplasty) to strengthen it. Further scans saw me referred to an oncologist.

Nice chap has now told me that I have lung cancer and that is what has spread to the spine. A bit of a shock as I'm a clean living type who has never smoked or done drugs.

While he wouldn't be drawn on prognosis I know enough about lung cancer that's spread to other parts of the body to understand that my chances of posting on this forum this time next year are pretty slim.

In the meantime, take the treatment, hope for a miracle and try to find the strength to keep watching Latics with my fantastic son.

All the best OP4U