"A very small budget"?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i listened to that interview it came across to me as a sales pitch for keeping his job.

It wasn't just the budget he mentioned. He talked about patience being the key to success, changing the manager ever 3 months not being the right approach and cited Neil Ardley as an example of the success that results from a manager being given time to build something.

He also reckons we'd all have been going home talking about what a fantastic performance it was if we'd scored from the chance at the end.

I have a fair amount of sympathy for the position he finds himself in. It's certainly not all his fault. But I do get the impression he's feeling the pressure now.

Why is the manager claiming we have a very small budget even though we have been told it has been increased from last season?

Can we trust the statements from the club?

I don't think there is any doubt the budget is tiny, look at the quality in the squad, the fact that Sheridan couldn't wait to get away and Evans wasn't interested.

Atleast 1 of the strikers should go back to make way for a new one we can let a couple of other the short term ones should go to who have not made an impression on the first team can go too. This was always going to be the problem with having to cobble together a team on a small budget very quickly their was always a high risk of a few not working out.

I don't think any manager would not be calling for patience in this situation.

I was prepared to give him plenty of leeway at the start and that hasn't changed. However a loss to Lincoln and If we are cut a drift at the bottom at the turn of the year then I'm prepared to cut our losses. Until them the aim should be to get out of the bottom 4 and get into the 3rd Round of the cup and he should get January to freshen up the squad.

Not alot to ask for really to beat a nonleague team and be the 5th :censored:test team in the league.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Why is the manager claiming we have a very small budget even though we have been told it has been increased from last season?

Can we trust the statements from the club?

This is really getting on my tits now....

The manager has been constantly harping on about our 'miniscule' budget since the start of the season. He knew the position when he took the job on and we don't need constantly reminding of the fact every time we fail to secure 3 points.

After John Sheridans departure we were told by Neil Joy that we were looking for a manager who could have us challenging up near the top end of this division.

A move for Steve Evans seemed to confirm those intentions however since his rejection of our offer Mr Joy and at least one other director have jumped ship and its about time Corney & Co came clean and informed fans of the real reason for the cheap season ticket offer he ridiculously claimed at the time was to be a loyalty reward for the hard core fans!!!

Finance was supposedly already in place in the summer to be able to complete the North Stand including a supporters Bar in time for the seasons opener, however, the money seems to have been diverted elsewhere as it still looks like a building site and is nowhere near finished.

I have a feeling Corney has now totally lost interest in our club and has cut the cloth accordingly. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Robinson walk away soon as this job and situation is hardly enhancing his reputation within the game.

I am sick of the whole situation.... the football club is an absolute shambles from top to bottom and I have reached a point where I'd be willing to gamble the future of the club on any new owners, whoever they might be!

When i listened to that interview it came across to me as a sales pitch for keeping his job.

It wasn't just the budget he mentioned. He talked about patience being the key to success, changing the manager ever 3 months not being the right approach and cited Neil Ardley as an example of the success that results from a manager being given time to build something.

He also reckons we'd all have been going home talking about what a fantastic performance it was if we'd scored from the chance at the end.

I have a fair amount of sympathy for the position he finds himself in. It's certainly not all his fault. But I do get the impression he's feeling the pressure now.

He must be a dead man walking (he shouldn't be) if he feels the need to come out in the local paper with stuff he should only be saying privately to Corney.

Everything he says is right but he's not helping himself giving such ready made excuses to players who are already doing :censored:....

Edited by HarryBosch

Makes you wonder why he persists with the same mind numbingly tactics and piss poor players who are likely to lose him his job, they don't give a :censored: as they will swan of back to their parent team or find another mug team stupid enough to employ them whilst he has to beg to keep his job because players can't give him 90 minutes a week, who the :censored: would want the job is beyond me.

He must be a dead man walking (he shouldn't be) if he feels the need to come out in the local paper with stuff he should only be saying privately to Corney.

Everything he says is right but he's not helping himself giving such ready made excuses to players who are already doing :censored:....

He should be a "dead man walking" (in football terms). The football, tactics, entertainment and results under him have been :censored:e...

Calling for patience is fine and he's right but calling for patience against a backdrop of excuses doesn't bode very well at all

Id be more worried if he wasn't coming under any kind of pressure right now If he's having to call for patience he's being pressured from above they actually might care, they are very good at keeping us in league 1 if failing spectacularly at most other things.

The next 6 weeks are crucial leading upto January a cup win and a 3rd Round tie could sort us out financially for the rest of the season. If we don't improve our league form we could lead ourselves with a mountain to climb in the second half of the season. We climbed that mountain last season due to play off form in the last 20 games of the season we might not be so lucky this time so we have to get things right now.

Id be more worried if he wasn't coming under any kind of pressure right now If he's having to call for patience he's being pressured from above they actually might care, they are very good at keeping us in league 1 if failing spectacularly at most other things.

Keeping us in this division has been more by luck that judgement. Last season we needed 101 things to go for us to pull that off. Thankfully they did.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with what I'm about to say which I guess is what forums are about but here's my take on all of this:

Robinson was brought in and had 5 players contracted at his disposal, out of those 5 initial players 2 have played a few games, one has gone out on loan (Edmundson) and two released (Brown and Cassidy) and as such had to bring in a lot of players in a short space of time, we've signed 24/25 or so.

Despite all of this I'm sure Robinson would have thought I need bodies rather than a small amount of quality players, almost using the first 6 months as an extended trial for many players, this is proven in my opinion with the amount of 1 year contracts given out. Along with signing so many players in such a short period of time he also needs to plan for the new season and get working with the players regardless of them coming in in dribs and drabs and as such was dealt with a mountain to climb immediately (I'm sure most will agree)

We have been given mixed messages from the board and management staff with regards to season ticket sales, the budget as a whole and other things that all contribute to a struggle we are involved in until this present day. With the few contacts in football at League One level I have (from work and having friends who work/play at other clubs) I have managed to work out (more so through hearsay) of where our budget is likely to be when comparing us to the rest of the division.

The budget we have I think, don't know (educated guess) is well in the bottom 4, if not the bottom in the division. This to me, comes as no surprise at all really, Corney says he wants to sell (I don't blame him) and as such won't put anymore money into the cause (if he did have any to give) and along with the manager being drafted in late I doubt he was given a lot of money in a budget to spend on players that really he wasn't as sure about as a manager should be, like I have said before signings had to be rushed.

I think, Robbo is well within his rights to use the budget card as it probably is true especially when comparing to some of the teams in our league (top end like Bradford, Sheff Utd etc). If he does it as a cry for help so to speak for fans to give him time, again fair enough from me as he does in my opinion need a transfer window.

Where I think Robinson misses a trick and a major sway in supporters is when he comes out with the 'x factor world' and 'instant success'. People in general life probably do want instant success and those at the top do too. However, he hasn't yet worked out that we (or rather I) don't demand instant success, I demand a team to go out on the field and try, work for the shirt and for me to come away not feeling cheated of an afternoon which on an occasion or two this season (Swindon and Rochdale) I have, just like I have under Dunn, Kelly and Holden previously.

I choose to watch Latics at nearly every game, missed Gillingham this season and all checkatrade games and of course that's my choice, believe it or not I do enjoy it but I just want a manager to realise that we as Oldham supporters don't want instant success just slightly better than the dross we have been treated to more so over the last 2 years or so and for us to see some improvement and even some entertainment which I'm hoping will come (probably after January now!)

I would give Robinson time (can see why people wouldn't) as I believe we have to stick at a manager at some point and chopping and changing will only ever get you so far. I believe in this squad we have quite a few talented players, more than last season (people will disagree!) in Ripley, Clarke, Flynn, Fane and McClaughlin and as such i'm hoping if Robbo can attract these players and spot a talent like these then I hope he can reshuffle in Jan and be able to find a couple more which again I'm hoping will provide us with more entertainment than 9 goals in 17 league games haha!

One thing Robinson's been given is time, our home record alone would be enough for most clubs fans to baying for blood, he comes across as a hard working decent guy but needs to recognise the players who he has shown a sense of loyalty too who may well lose him is chance in the management game, persisting with the same players who are letting him down is a sure fire way to the poor house for both him and us, budget wise I agree I can't see whose paying less than us and our budget is now behind quite a few non league teams, I remember pre season when questions were asked why options weren't taken on players and Corneys response was that better players were available for less money well it appears not judging on what we are left with, that answer alone though tells you the ambition of the man, his aim more than ever is to finish fifth bottom of League 1 spending the least money possible in the process.

Said it pre season and I'll say it again. I don't really care who is in charge at the minute until Corney is gone. It's a poisoned chalice at the moment and whoever is there is destined to fail. Sort the Corney situation out and then maybe we can start to build.

Imo robinson has built us into this boring defensive team purposely because he knows that's where our strengths lie. He knows the players at his disposal ain't good enough and is clinging onto the hope.we can still be in touch come January and get some bodies in. He will have had time to find the striker he needs by then. This and the fact he thought erwin and mckay would have scored more by now

I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with what I'm about to say which I guess is what forums are about but here's my take on all of this:

Robinson was brought in and had 5 players contracted at his disposal, out of those 5 initial players 2 have played a few games, one has gone out on loan (Edmundson) and two released (Brown and Cassidy) and as such had to bring in a lot of players in a short space of time, we've signed 24/25 or so.

Despite all of this I'm sure Robinson would have thought I need bodies rather than a small amount of quality players, almost using the first 6 months as an extended trial for many players, this is proven in my opinion with the amount of 1 year contracts given out. Along with signing so many players in such a short period of time he also needs to plan for the new season and get working with the players regardless of them coming in in dribs and drabs and as such was dealt with a mountain to climb immediately (I'm sure most will agree)

We have been given mixed messages from the board and management staff with regards to season ticket sales, the budget as a whole and other things that all contribute to a struggle we are involved in until this present day. With the few contacts in football at League One level I have (from work and having friends who work/play at other clubs) I have managed to work out (more so through hearsay) of where our budget is likely to be when comparing us to the rest of the division.

The budget we have I think, don't know (educated guess) is well in the bottom 4, if not the bottom in the division. This to me, comes as no surprise at all really, Corney says he wants to sell (I don't blame him) and as such won't put anymore money into the cause (if he did have any to give) and along with the manager being drafted in late I doubt he was given a lot of money in a budget to spend on players that really he wasn't as sure about as a manager should be, like I have said before signings had to be rushed.

I think, Robbo is well within his rights to use the budget card as it probably is true especially when comparing to some of the teams in our league (top end like Bradford, Sheff Utd etc). If he does it as a cry for help so to speak for fans to give him time, again fair enough from me as he does in my opinion need a transfer window.

Where I think Robinson misses a trick and a major sway in supporters is when he comes out with the 'x factor world' and 'instant success'. People in general life probably do want instant success and those at the top do too. However, he hasn't yet worked out that we (or rather I) don't demand instant success, I demand a team to go out on the field and try, work for the shirt and for me to come away not feeling cheated of an afternoon which on an occasion or two this season (Swindon and Rochdale) I have, just like I have under Dunn, Kelly and Holden previously.

I choose to watch Latics at nearly every game, missed Gillingham this season and all checkatrade games and of course that's my choice, believe it or not I do enjoy it but I just want a manager to realise that we as Oldham supporters don't want instant success just slightly better than the dross we have been treated to more so over the last 2 years or so and for us to see some improvement and even some entertainment which I'm hoping will come (probably after January now!)

I would give Robinson time (can see why people wouldn't) as I believe we have to stick at a manager at some point and chopping and changing will only ever get you so far. I believe in this squad we have quite a few talented players, more than last season (people will disagree!) in Ripley, Clarke, Flynn, Fane and McClaughlin and as such i'm hoping if Robbo can attract these players and spot a talent like these then I hope he can reshuffle in Jan and be able to find a couple more which again I'm hoping will provide us with more entertainment than 9 goals in 17 league games haha!

He's doing about as well as many expected given the hand he was dealt. Par for the course if you like.

A good manager capable of having us punching above our weight (which is pretty much any managers job in my eyes) would have pulled out a few more birdie's and eagles by now. I've not given up on SR still doing so yet but he needs to do soon.

Lots of analogies there. No YOU :censored: off.

Said it pre season and I'll say it again. I don't really care who is in charge at the minute until Corney is gone. It's a poisoned chalice at the moment and whoever is there is destined to fail. Sort the Corney situation out and then maybe we can start to build.

Imo robinson has built us into this boring defensive team purposely because he knows that's where our strengths lie. He knows the players at his disposal ain't good enough and is clinging onto the hope.we can still be in touch come January and get some bodies in. He will have had time to find the striker he needs by then. This and the fact he thought erwin and mckay would have scored more by now

Totally agree with you re the Corney situation.

However I think that Robinson missed a trick by getting too many strikers in on loan and not enough midfielders.

One decent striker who could regularly hit the target would have left room (and money) for other areas.

We could then actually look at taking the game to the opposition