"A very small budget"?

Totally agree with you re the Corney situation.

However I think that Robinson missed a trick by getting too many strikers in on loan and not enough midfielders.

One decent striker who could regularly hit the target would have left room (and money) for other areas.

We could then actually look at taking the game to the opposition

But when Jake Cassidy gets injured in the 2nd game lol...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with what I'm about to say which I guess is what forums are about but here's my take on all of this:

Robinson was brought in and had 5 players contracted at his disposal, out of those 5 initial players 2 have played a few games, one has gone out on loan (Edmundson) and two released (Brown and Cassidy) and as such had to bring in a lot of players in a short space of time, we've signed 24/25 or so.

Despite all of this I'm sure Robinson would have thought I need bodies rather than a small amount of quality players, almost using the first 6 months as an extended trial for many players, this is proven in my opinion with the amount of 1 year contracts given out. Along with signing so many players in such a short period of time he also needs to plan for the new season and get working with the players regardless of them coming in in dribs and drabs and as such was dealt with a mountain to climb immediately (I'm sure most will agree)

We have been given mixed messages from the board and management staff with regards to season ticket sales, the budget as a whole and other things that all contribute to a struggle we are involved in until this present day. With the few contacts in football at League One level I have (from work and having friends who work/play at other clubs) I have managed to work out (more so through hearsay) of where our budget is likely to be when comparing us to the rest of the division.

The budget we have I think, don't know (educated guess) is well in the bottom 4, if not the bottom in the division. This to me, comes as no surprise at all really, Corney says he wants to sell (I don't blame him) and as such won't put anymore money into the cause (if he did have any to give) and along with the manager being drafted in late I doubt he was given a lot of money in a budget to spend on players that really he wasn't as sure about as a manager should be, like I have said before signings had to be rushed.

I think, Robbo is well within his rights to use the budget card as it probably is true especially when comparing to some of the teams in our league (top end like Bradford, Sheff Utd etc). If he does it as a cry for help so to speak for fans to give him time, again fair enough from me as he does in my opinion need a transfer window.

Where I think Robinson misses a trick and a major sway in supporters is when he comes out with the 'x factor world' and 'instant success'. People in general life probably do want instant success and those at the top do too. However, he hasn't yet worked out that we (or rather I) don't demand instant success, I demand a team to go out on the field and try, work for the shirt and for me to come away not feeling cheated of an afternoon which on an occasion or two this season (Swindon and Rochdale) I have, just like I have under Dunn, Kelly and Holden previously.

I choose to watch Latics at nearly every game, missed Gillingham this season and all checkatrade games and of course that's my choice, believe it or not I do enjoy it but I just want a manager to realise that we as Oldham supporters don't want instant success just slightly better than the dross we have been treated to more so over the last 2 years or so and for us to see some improvement and even some entertainment which I'm hoping will come (probably after January now!)

I would give Robinson time (can see why people wouldn't) as I believe we have to stick at a manager at some point and chopping and changing will only ever get you so far. I believe in this squad we have quite a few talented players, more than last season (people will disagree!) in Ripley, Clarke, Flynn, Fane and McClaughlin and as such i'm hoping if Robbo can attract these players and spot a talent like these then I hope he can reshuffle in Jan and be able to find a couple more which again I'm hoping will provide us with more entertainment than 9 goals in 17 league games haha!

Brilliant post. I agree we have thrown together a decent squad. Robinson needs to work out quickly how to win games and realise that 2 up front doesn't work. Our personnel is suited to Flynn in the hole behind a striker with 2 wingers. Green and Fane holding with Banks in there pulling the strings.

Brilliant post. I agree we have thrown together a decent squad. Robinson needs to work out quickly how to win games and realise that 2 up front doesn't work. Our personnel is suited to Flynn in the hole behind a striker with 2 wingers. Green and Fane holding with Banks in there pulling the strings.

Three at the back then?

Imo robinson has built us into this boring defensive team purposely because he knows that's where our strengths lie. He knows the players at his disposal ain't good enough and is clinging onto the hope.we can still be in touch come January and get some bodies in. He will have had time to find the striker he needs by then. This and the fact he thought erwin and mckay would have scored more by now

I do agree with you that is probably what Robinson has been thinking. But I think his logic has proven to be flawed.

It's difficult to believe we'd be in a worse position than we are now had he employed a more attacking philosophy. And he'd certainly have retained more goodwill amongst the fanbase. The decline in attendances would probably have been much smaller too.

I suspect Corney is well aware that Robinson took on an exceptionally tough job and probably intended to be very patient with him. But seeing crowds fall off a cliff in addition to poor form will be testing his patience.

Playing more exciting football might actually buy Robinson more time in the job.

Average in the 05/06 season was 5,796, down from 6462 the previous season.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/olda.htm

Only been over 4000 once at BP so far this season and that's because Brizzle Rovers brought just less than 1000.

So lost 2,000 in 10 years despite playing in the same division?

4-2-3-1.

Our personnel is suited to Flynn in the hole behind a striker with 2 wingers. Green and Fane holding with Banks in there pulling the strings.

Striker: Erwin

Wingers and hole: McLaughlin, Flynn, Geraldo-Martin

Midfield: Green, Fane, Banks

Keeper: Ripley

Only room for three defenders.

So lost 2,000 in 10 years despite playing in the same division?

At least. Based on how we are playing and if that continues then I'd say it'll be closer to 3,000 come end of the season. Although we have the likes of Bradford, Bolton, Sheff Utd etc who will bring 2,000+ still to come at home which will bump up the average (unless we continue playing as we are, in which case home fans will be less than 3,000).

Edited by RobOAFC

At least. Based on how we are playing and if that continues then I'd say it'll be closer to 3,000 come end of the season. Although we have the likes of Bradford, Bolton, Sheff Utd etc who will bring 2,000+ still to come at home which will bump up the average (unless we continue playing as we are, in which case home fans will be less than 3,000).

Shocking stats for SC to ponder.

Average in the 05/06 season was 5,796, down from 6462 the previous season.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/olda.htm

Only been over 4000 once at BP so far this season and that's because Brizzle Rovers brought just less than 1000.

It was poor ST sales that did for Ronald wasn't it? Albeit that it seems some didn't come back even though he was sacked.

He was :censored:e anyway.

Shocking stats for SC to ponder.

Makes you wonder what the attendances would be if we managed to keep Shez. Probably have an extra 200 on the gate even if we was in the same league position. He was likely to have us mid-table/lower top half so probably an extra 500 or so on the gate.

It was poor ST sales that did for Ronald wasn't it? Albeit that it seems some didn't come back even though he was sacked.

He was :censored:e anyway.

Yup and the same for Penney aswell. Less than 100 sold wasn't it when Penney was sacked?

Striker: Erwin

Wingers and hole: McLaughlin, Flynn, Geraldo-Martin

Midfield: Green, Fane, Banks

Keeper: Ripley

Only room for three defenders.

See what you mean. My thinking is that green and fane have poor distribution, banks can pass. Our most dangerous player is mcclaughlin. I'd have him on one wing and flynn on the other but under strict instruction to get close to the front man. A free role almost for flynn. 2 holding midfielders give extra protection to full backs which we would need, especially with Mcclaughlin on the wing. Edited by welshgaz

I regret that it's so :censored: to watch us play but I understand why Robinson is trying to do it. I just wish he'd stop attempting to delude us into thinking that we're in any way entertaining to watch. If we start winning one nil and it goes in off the keeper's arse every game I'd be more than delighted.

I still think we'll come good and the next best alternative is most likely wank, in any case. I'm blindly supportive of him.

If we were playing more attacking football yet bottom with no clean sheets and no wins would people be happier?

Why is it assumed playing attacking football we would lose?

Many fans would prefer that to the clean sheets at all costs approach.

If we were playing more attacking football yet bottom with no clean sheets and no wins would people be happier?

No Robinson is coming under fire for the results mainly, people will buy into any style if it comes with results. If we were bottom playing attractive football shipping 3-4 in a week people would still be pissed.