Anthony Gerrard

22 minutes ago, HallamBlue said:

Few interesting tweets from Byrne very much aligning with Davies , Gerrard and praising Placide and Ben Wilson who has joined Bradford. His most interesting one "Yes you will Jose is top class" implying he wont be here and also had lots of good offers in January but stayed to help the club. This is the shit of a modern footballer happily signs a long contract but then talks about life elsewhere and negative about the town.  Give me an Eyres, Duxbury  every day. Solid pros 

Byrne rejected Peterborough due to location nothing more - DM the Peterborough chairman/ owner confirmed it on his twitter account. Nothing to do with staying to ‘help the club’. 

11 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Byrne rejected Peterborough due to location nothing more - DM the Peterborough chairman/ owner confirmed it on his twitter account. Nothing to do with staying to ‘help the club’. 

He tweeted a couple of weeks ago we'd tried to flog them a player to no avail. Guessing that was Byrne but the ship had sailed for them.

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

Re: the second part, you seem to defend him at all costs. Why do you think there's a conspiracy against him rather than people not liking the things he did?

Where does this come from?

I don't get why folks turn against players so quickly when he was a decent enough player for us. His off field activities regarding twitter are of no interest to me at all but seem to be to other posters. The links from the Huddersfield board are just the same as on here-some see him as the footballer, some see him as the villain for his off field activity.

That's not defending him at all costs its a bit of objectivity.

25 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Where does this come from?

I don't get why folks turn against players so quickly when he was a decent enough player for us. His off field activities regarding twitter are of no interest to me at all but seem to be to other posters. The links from the Huddersfield board are just the same as on here-some see him as the footballer, some see him as the villain for his off field activity.

That's not defending him at all costs its a bit of objectivity.

Gerrard was inconsistent last season. He was also selfish, but putting that aside... are you saying we have to like players who are good footballers no matter what their antics are and vice versa? 

If I dont like a player I will say so regardless of their performances.   As it happens I think Gerrard is a bit of a pillock who is also unprofessional in his approach and erratic in his performances. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Gerrard was inconsistent last season. He was also selfish, but putting that aside... are you saying we have to like players who are good footballers no matter what their antics are and vice versa? 

If I dont like a player I will say so regardless of their performances.   As it happens I think Gerrard is a bit of a pillock who is also unprofessional in his approach and erratic in his performances. 

And you are entitled to your opinion, you certainly seem to have plenty, but also need to respect that not everyone agrees with you all the time. Like I said a bit of objectivity.

12 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Do you really still think he’s a good player? I would place him in the catategory of he was a good player when he could be arsed to keep himself fit and his body in good shape. Pity is he’s not been in any good shape now for a couple of seasons. You cannot rely on your past performance when you are a footballer. You have to be judged on your current form and I am sorry to say he’s not been in good form for a long time now. Clarke is older but more fit than Gerrard will ever be.

5 minutes ago, bozman said:

Do you really still think he’s a good player? I would place him in the catategory of he was a good player when he could be arsed to keep himself fit and his body in good shape. Pity is he’s not been in any good shape now for a couple of seasons. You cannot rely on your past performance when you are a footballer. You have to be judged on your current form and I am sorry to say he’s not been in good form for a long time now. Clarke is older but more fit than Gerrard will ever be.

This is my view too.  Credit where fredit is due, he did a good job when he first came and shored up a leaky defence under Sheriden which helped us stay up. Looking at the players we now have, I think we have strength in this area with a good blend of youth and experience.  With all his off field antics and average on field ability recently, the time is right for him to move him on.  He is on a decent wage here which, in my opinion, should be freed up to strengthen the forward line.  Personally, a couple of good additions up front and we have the makings of a decent squad for this level.  It's a glass half full for me.

I'm glad that we have/ are getting rid of players who are not committed either to the club.No one player is above anyone else and lessons must be learnt.Just glad that the rest of the team can now bond with each other and not be upset by any billy big timers.

Seems  we are getting a couple of new signings which look good .

55 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

was this aimed at me... I think that I clearly state I don't think he is a good player.  My point was that even if he was he would still deserve criticism for being a pillock.

3 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He said the same as bryne, but he used emoji so I’d imagine wouldn’t stand up in court so he won’t be getting the sack.

I'd imagine that there isn't the precedent of case law (or indeed tribunal verdicts) to assess on the propriety or otherwise of specific emojis.  But what would I know?

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd imagine that there isn't the precedent of case law (or indeed tribunal verdicts) to assess on the propriety or otherwise of specific emojis.  But what would I know?

Of course, precedent doesn't apply in employment tribunals (despite what Rudemedic will tell you). Not at all sure how the minimum two years employment works out for someone on a 3 year contract though