Wellens to Doncaster apparently

Just think about what a liability he was at times...

Was the first to let his head drop or hide in the centre of midfield.

When he was fired up he would usually chip in with a couple of rash challenges and cards rather than defence splitting balls.

So balls to him - Shez will see us right, of that ther'es no doubt.

He's got the pick of Chelseas reserves to choose from yet....

I think we still need another 4 or 5 though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be bothered to read the other posts... I'm tired... but when you compare this to the Porter deal THIS is a crap move and THIS is showing no loyalty!!

Porter has given himself (no matter how small) the chance to make a huge move in his career. Wellens has done it for £££.

I'm not angry as much as I am nothing at all... wasted opportunity for the lad really.

anybody notice that Doncaster think we finished outside the play offs last year ......... maybe they tricked him into signing with that !!!!!

Ah yes - markoasis did - sorry !!

Edited by toasits

I cant help but think we're in for a mediocre season next year.

Hmmm.

Miffed. Money Matters.

mediocre? Try fighting relegation.. I've been saying it all pre-season.

and this isn't unfounded doom and gloom; There's a reason we didn't perform after January last season, weak squad... and now an our starting 11 has taken a few big hits.

Gregan and Liddell? Past it. Last should have been their final season.

Not impressed with Shez and his [lack of] ability to bring in talent.

Anyway, we shall see... I really hope I'm wrong and Shez brings something out of the bag. *thinks positive thoughts*

and this isn't unfounded doom and gloom; There's a reason we didn't perform after January last season, weak squad... and now an our starting 11 has taken a few big hits.

Anyway, we shall see... I really hope I'm wrong and Shez brings something out of the bag. *thinks positive thoughts*

Are you sure it is only owls you fear? That was a pretty fierce post!! :o

Edited by futchers briefs

Wellens, The best Oldham player by far for two seasons.

Nobody of that name plays for the super blues,there is a bloke who has just signed a ONE year deal with donny....Only five weeks to go!!

I can't believe how bitter people are, it's really not a good quality.

This move has been coming for a while and recently came to a head (though Doncaster's interest has been in since the start of June, as some other posters knew), I tried to drop hints elsewhere recently that it was unlikely that Wellens would re-sign.

The fact is that he had a firm offer from the Championship (a Southern based club) and Doncaster. He chose Doncaster and the option of a good contract and location. He is a human being, he's taken an offer that is good for him, as most of us would when presented with an opportunity in our lives.

Face facts, Doncaster are an ambitious club. The acquisition of James Hayter, Martin Woods, Neil Sullivan and now Richie go to show that, as did the signing of Paul Heffernan which a lot will remember I'm sure. To badmouth a player that has been influential in two years contracted at Oldham is a bit petty really. He signed a two year contract, did well and then moved on instead of signing a new deal, end of. He might do the same at Donacster, they might get promoted, he might stay. This is football, players come and go.

I'd much rather be the kind of supporter that acknowledges the contribution of a good player (and Richie is certainly that) and then looks on to the future (and the next one to come in) rather than being bitter about an understandable move.

Can't be bothered to read the other posts... I'm tired... but when you compare this to the Porter deal THIS is a crap move and THIS is showing no loyalty!!

Porter has given himself (no matter how small) the chance to make a huge move in his career. Wellens has done it for £££.

I'm not angry as much as I am nothing at all... wasted opportunity for the lad really.

amen

I was a big Wellens fan but at the end of the day he had a 2 year contract, he has fullfilled it and now moved on.

Can anyone on this board honestly say that if in their work another company came in an offered you a higher salary to do exactly the same job, you wouldn't take it. Of course you would!!

The harsh reality is that the ONLY people in football that have loyalty are the fans, and I mean the fans of lower league clubs actually, not the 20,000 who would stop going to Old Trafford if that lot had a couple of bad seasons. The fans of Clubs such as Rochdale who haven't EVER had anything to celebrate, not even a promotion, but yet every summer renew their season tickets.

What we all need to do now is exactly what our un-official motto says and "Keep The Faith." I have read above and seen talk of mediocre seasons; but that's what we thought this time last year, and even if it is a mediocre season have faith the Shez backed by TTA will get it right for us soon.

So Wellens has moved on; the king is dead, long live the King, King Kalala!! (Actually is this the year of the Rat? :grin:)

:comeon:

Gregan and Liddell past it? Are you on drugs, what a load of tosh. May I remind you we are in the third tier of English football. Had we gone up to the Championship, you may have had more of a case. But last season you could see the difference Gregan made soon as he arrived and Lids was the most creative player in our division last season. NOT IMPRESSED BY SHEZZA???

Hughesy, Davies, Crossley are class additions and I am sure he will be bringing more quality and no more panic buys eg Wood, Dabo! Nothing but optimistic for next season. I am sure our multi talented reserve squad from last season can also plug any holes for a time. COME ON...WE'RE GOING UP AS FRIKKIN CHAMPIONS!!

I was a big Wellens fan but at the end of the day he had a 2 year contract, he has fullfilled it and now moved on.

Can anyone on this board honestly say that if in their work another company came in an offered you a higher salary to do exactly the same job, you wouldn't take it. Of course you would!!

The harsh reality is that the ONLY people in football that have loyalty are the fans, and I mean the fans of lower league clubs actually, not the 20,000 who would stop going to Old Trafford if that lot had a couple of bad seasons. The fans of Clubs such as Rochdale who haven't EVER had anything to celebrate, not even a promotion, but yet every summer renew their season tickets.

What we all need to do now is exactly what our un-official motto says and "Keep The Faith." I have read above and seen talk of mediocre seasons; but that's what we thought this time last year, and even if it is a mediocre season have faith the Shez backed by TTA will get it right for us soon.

So Wellens has moved on; the king is dead, long live the King, King Kalala!! (Actually is this the year of the Rat? :grin:)

:comeon:

i think they are entitled to take the money, especially after seeing out the contract. although it does make me wonder about the use of 2 year contracts....

the point that annoyed me is the slating of porters ambition, and i think that whilst he has taken the money and run to motherwell (and i don't blame him), he has also made a more astute career move than going elsewhere in our division. but i'm also sure if he had made a sideways to a club in our division and we got a transfer fee, he would have been less harshly criticised. i think people have confused sour grapes about a fee and ambition in the case of porter

and the loyalty argument in football is proven to be ridiculous, from both sides

Nowt like being positive eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man pull yerself together don't do a Wellens and let yer head drop.

Make's a change for myself, as i'm one who's usually got his heads in the cloud and wearing blue tinted specs. I just dont see how we can possibly improve on last season when you look at the way the squad is shaping up.

People are mentioning that the defence is shaping up. Yes. It certainly is. No left back though and the latest rumours indicate that we are signing ANOTHER centre back which will mean we have (Gregan, Stam, Thompson, Trotman and A.N. Other). Get a decent left back and i'll agree the defence is spot on. Keeper is the only position i'm confident in at the moment.

Wellens has gone and now our centre midfield consists of 3 known quantities at the club. Kalala, McDonald and Neil Wood. Frightening stuff i'm sure you'll all agree? Who is the one player who's names been banded about that is definately signing in the Summer. Mark Allott. Great stuff. Not. Oh and Kilkenny. Who if you ask certain people, will tell you that he caused a bit of a rift in the dressing room with his billy big boots attitude. Not to mention the fact when Crofty went, he wasnt the same player.

Upfront. I didnt mind Warney going. I dont mind us signing Davies as he's got one thing we seriously lacked last season. Pace and I think he'll do well. At the moment, who else do we have upfront bar Craig Davies?? Youth team players with a very limited amount of first team experience. Those who know me will know I want to see the likes of Allesandra and Smalley play bit parts next season - but they cant be asked to do more than that just yet. We are waiting on the news that Lee Hughes is granted Parole and that cant happen till the first week in August. Then what? He's going to have to spend a month or two playing in the reserves and being used as a sub to build up his match fitness for quite some time due to how long it is since he played competitively. Who are the names of the players being banded about??? Leon Clarke. Great. Not. Anyone at Brentford away last season will tell you the same. Please God, dont let it be true.

People are mentioning how it's only July? It may only be July, but it's also only a very short space of time before the players are back in and the friendlies start. The season is round the corner and ultimately we should be aiming to go into pre season with the starting 11 firmly in place.

Like it or not. We have missed the boat on so many players this summer capable of getting absolutely everyone at the club looking forward to the new campaign. What is happening is exactly what happened under Ronnie Moore which he was made into a scapegoat for. He looked at players he was familar with and brought them in. Shez hasnt done the latter and I pray he doesnt go through with the rumours and bring them in. There is a better quality of player's out there than those being banded about. Half of whom we've seen go to fellow league 1 and league 2 clubs for peanuts - or free's if you go off the team i'll post in a moment.

Pardon me for not getting excited about the upcoming season. When something actually happens of note and we actually look like bringing a bit more quality too replace two of the biggest assets to our 2006/07 playoff team. Then maybe i'll change my mind.

Gk - Dimitrios Konstantopoulos

RB - Andrew Whing

LB - Alan Goddall

D - Anthony Kay

D - Steve Foster

M - JJ Melligan

M - Darren Currie

M- Sean Thornton

M - Danny Spiller

S - Adebayo Akinfenwa

S - Karl Hawley

Izzy Iriekpen, Jason Scotland. I cant be bothered naming anymore, but you get the idea. There just the names of players who been transferred for NOTHING to or from teams in our division - apart from Foster who was at Scunny last season and has gone to Darlington. There's even better players in the championship available and the likes of Stephen Jordan at Man City

http://www.footballtransfers.co.uk/squads/club1-1100.html

Roll on Allott and Leon Clarke. The types you'll see in a team winning promotion??

Edited by Rocky_Latic

My word that was a very downbeat post Rocky.

I understand what you are saying, but Shez's hands were tied to a large extent until Wellens, Porter and Stam made their minds up about going or staying.

Now that is all settled he knows where he stands and new players will be brought in.

Your right he has missed the boat with some of the names you mentioned but I dont think he could have brought some of those players in without knowing that Porter and Wellens were definately leaving.

I think we may have a similar season to last (which aint that bad!!) We have a cracking starting xi (or will have very soon) but may struggle a little bit once injuries and suspensions kick in. Again I refer back to our super reserves who are another year older, wiser and stronger to bail us out of any mess. Let's face it, Hughes and Davies compared to Molongo and Warney do make me very excited. GK and DF are virtually sorted (we currently have Lomax at LB who aint bad at all), our wing wizards who are refreshed (Taylor again another season wiser) and JPK and Macca in MF (with another probably to follow!) It all makes for an exciting 2007/2008 and I am counting the hours to the big KO - also excited by new transfers which so far, I think are frikkin marvelous....COME ON SHEZZA BOY!!

Rocky, which from your list are better than what we have now? I personally think none. From what I remember of Darren Currie is good feet, lazy barsteward.

Konstan....what's his face was the best keeper I saw live last season. Goodall obviously given we dont have a left back and he's far better than a makeshift Lomax.

Steve Foster at Scunthorpe away. Absolutely immense. Shaun Thornton is rated, as was JJ Melligan at Cheltenham.

Karl Hawley knows where the net is. Jason Scotland's record last season speaks for itself. Akinfenwa ripped us to peices when he was at Torquay. Izzy Iriekpen is a superb player too. They'd of all improved our team/squad.

They were just the names I listed after a 5 minute look around of those released or having signed from league 1 clubs of last season.

Konstan....what's his face was the best keeper I saw live last season. Goodall obviously given we dont have a left back and he's far better than a makeshift Lomax.

Steve Foster at Scunthorpe away. Absolutely immense. Shaun Thornton is rated, as was JJ Melligan at Cheltenham.

Karl Hawley knows where the net is. Jason Scotland's record last season speaks for itself. Akinfenwa ripped us to peices when he was at Torquay. Izzy Iriekpen is a superb player too. They'd of all improved our team/squad.

They were just the names I listed after a 5 minute look around of those released or having signed from league 1 clubs of last season.

Half of the players you named played against us last season without making me think they were anything above average. Shez and the board still haven't finished with the transfers yet, keep yer head up. We're gonna win the league.