Southend 1st April

I am - unusually - able to make this one. Who else is planning to go?

I've not been for a few years and can't remember if it's generally a better plan to go straight to Prittlewell or have a stop by the sea (mudflat) shore first. Or whether you can go to Southend and back from Prittlewell on the same return ticket.  Either way it looks like the trains are pretty frequent, take just under an hour and there isn't any saving from booking (trains) in advance.

Cheers, Sam

Went last season - on a Tues night - and settled in a boozer next to Prittlewell station - that accommodated away fans and had a dart board..... so am planning on something similar. The other 2 times Ives been I've driven - FA Cup game when Wesolowski scored a screamer - and the year after we got relegated from the Premier League, we lost 1-0 to a Ricky Otto goal after Graeme Sharp had missed a sitter..... so I don't know if Southend main station is any better?

7 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Went last season - on a Tues night - and settled in a boozer next to Prittlewell station - that accommodated away fans and had a dart board..... so am planning on something similar. The other 2 times Ives been I've driven - FA Cup game when Wesolowski scored a screamer - and the year after we got relegated from the Premier League, we lost 1-0 to a Ricky Otto goal after Graeme Sharp had missed a sitter..... so I don't know if Southend main station is any better?

Let us know which boozer you decide on, I am driving from lowestoft which is still a trek. Never been to roots hall so it is a new ground to tick off.

7 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Graeme Sharp really was a tosser, wasn't he?

I was also at that game.  Think we also hit the bar, had two perfectly good goals disallowed, had Paul Gerrard sent off and Craig Flemming nearly punched the linesman as Otto's goal was about a mile off-side.  What did I do yesterday?  No idea..

On topic - Prittlewell best for the ground, has a cracking chippy on the way and there are pubs right next to the ground which are away-friendly, last time I went.

5 hours ago, disjointed said:

Let us know which boozer you decide on, I am driving from lowestoft which is still a trek. Never been to roots hall so it is a new ground to tick off.

Will do. Although I suspect we'll start at the Railway Tavern, which as the name suggests is close to the station.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/91/9120/Railway_Tavern/Prittlewell

You can share the burden of listening to 24 hours prattle on about how good he was at predicting.

Trains are all from Liverpool St. I provisionally think I would be in favour of something like the 11:55 in order to be in Prittlewell in decent time for lunch at this chippy, and also because it would allow for commencing the green lager while it's just still morning

53 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Your goose should be nicely cooked by this point. I can throw an arm round your shoulder and tell you in great detail what it's like not being a choker. 

Or an arm round the shoulder and "what are you drinking"

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Booked. Super Off Peak return, with a TFL Gold Card = £10.75. Bargain.

Am currently planning to aim for the following return;

RTN 18:32 ARR 19:28.

A TFL what? What's this extra level of Oyster I haven't heard about?

I'm aiming for the 11.55 but not sure about the early train home. Fancied a trip to the pleasure beach.

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

A TFL what? What's this extra level of Oyster I haven't heard about?

I'm aiming for the 11.55 but not sure about the early train home. Fancied a trip to the pleasure beach.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/annual-gold-cards