General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

8 hours ago, blueatheart said:

So. No TV debates eh?

Empty chair?

or another U-turn.

I did wonder if it's against some sort of election commission rules regarding balance...

As Doug Stanhope says, these aren't leaders, these people are not leading you - we're the casting director and it's all a movie at this point.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Labour party are a joke. I used to vote labour but I couldn't bring myself to do it now. I feel sorry for corbyn the way he's been portrayed in the media but then I look at c***s like Dianne Abbott and think jesus, he put her there. That party doesn't know what it stands for.

Lib dems had their chance and jumped into bed with tories and became their bitches so that's killed them off.

UKIP without Nigel Farage arent going to carry on growing like they would possibly have if he was still leader so can't see them having any seats.

SNP, if AIDS was a party leader. Hate them. Hate her

Tories, never ever voted for them BUT I think I may do this time. I actually think Theresa May is doing a decent job. I've warmed to her. She's taking us out of the EU, and whether you agree that's best or not, it's what the country voted for by majority. She's getting on with it. 

27 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Labour party are a joke. I used to vote labour but I couldn't bring myself to do it now. I feel sorry for corbyn the way he's been portrayed in the media but then I look at c***s like Dianne Abbott and think jesus, he put her there. That party doesn't know what it stands for.

Lib dems had their chance and jumped into bed with tories and became their bitches so that's killed them off.

UKIP without Nigel Farage arent going to carry on growing like they would possibly have if he was still leader so can't see them having any seats.

Tories, never ever voted for them BUT I think I may do this time. I actually think Theresa May is doing a decent job. I've warmed to her. She's taking us out of the EU, and whether you agree that's best or not, it's what the country voted for by majority. She's getting on with it. 

But is she taking us out? I still reckon there's an outside chance we won't leave two years from now, or even five or 10 years from now. Stranger things have happened. May and Hammond both know how tricky leaving the EU is. The bottom line for them will be however disorganised any opposition looks now, it doesn't half build up a head of steam when people's homes start getting repossessed and their cars no longer run. 

There are decent reasons for leaving the EU but bringing about a semi-permanent recession and our unmanagegeable decline as a nation aren't among them.

If the bookies are even halfway right, May won't have to worry about the Tory headbangers after this election, and they're about all she's been worried about up till this point, hence some of her mad right-wing rhetoric and endless concessions to the Daily Mail. 

And those headbangers are never truly happy unless they're harbouring a sense of betrayal, which she might be only too happy to oblige after the runaround they've been giving her for the past nine months or so. 

Just a reverie from someone who who knows absolutely fuck all about politics and always gets it wrong. 

You can't say she doesn't have a taste for revenge against people who fuck her about. cf George Osborne. 

1 minute ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

But is she taking us out? I still reckon there's an outside chance we won't leave two years from now, or even five or 10 years from now. Stranger things have happened. May and Hammond both know how tricky leaving the EU is. The bottom line for them will be however disorganised any opposition looks now, it doesn't half build up a head of steam when people's homes start getting repossessed and their cars no longer run. 

There are decent reasons for leaving the EU but bringing about a semi-permanent recession and our unmanagegeable decline as a nation aren't among them.

If the bookies are even halfway right, May won't have to worry about the Tory headbangers after this election, and they're about all she's been worried about up till this point, hence some of her mad right-wing rhetoric and endless concessions to the Daily Mail. 

And those headbangers are never truly happy unless they're harbouring a sense of betrayal, which she might be only too happy to oblige after the runaround they've been giving her for the past nine months or so. 

Just a reverie from someone who who knows absolutely fuck all about politics and always gets it wrong. 

You can't say she doesn't have a taste for revenge against people who fuck her about. cf George Osborne. 

There's always an outside chance but at the minute she's doing what she said. She's saying the right things, which I know in politics means bugger all most of the time, but who I just couldn't see myself voting for anyone else lol

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

There's always an outside chance but at the minute she's doing what she said. She's saying the right things, which I know in politics means bugger all most of the time, but who I just couldn't see myself voting for anyone else lol

Never trust a Vicar's daughter. I used to go out with one

14 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

No need for anyone to write anything more on this thread.

14 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

The people getting paid the money to do the organising are an absolute shower of useless shite.

Why did you write more?

11 hours ago, LaticMark said:

It's going to be a very long 7 weeks!

Indeed.

@ChaddySmoker Has been given 24 Mod-Preview for his immediate move to personal commentary. I seemingly agree with you political leanings (the Daily Mail is indeed a crock of shit) but you can't be in the first 10 replies and immediately make it personal. That's just making this an unpleasant place for people to come!

To everyone: I've edited / removed replies to that comment, where I can; that's possible on 2 pages of posts.  If there's any further personal commentary or attacks your post is removed - I will not waste my time editing it for you, to leave the pertinent elements behind.  We will however be transparent, where we can, and report in-thread what has been edited/removed and for what reason.

It's a sensitive topic at a difficult time for many; think about that. No one's out to get you they just think that the way to get the best for their loved ones is different. Be nice. 

I imagine like a lot of people, I've had enough of Brexit. I would be surprised if we left within the next two years but I do see it happening not too much longer after that. 

What I want out of this election, more than anything, is a weaker SNP. Sturgeon is coralling the Scottish people into another indy ref and now really isn't the time for us or them. The Tories are doing ok in Scotland (very ok given their recent history north of the border) but they won't take too many seats. If Labour could win seats anywhere, it could be in Scotland under Kezia Dugdale but Ruth Davidson seems to have a better understand of the split between Westminster politics and Scottish politics.

Might it be an election where not much changes?

Tories won it in the South West last time so can only really lose ground to the Libs there, London, North East and West won't have them, can't see much changing in Scotland.

Labour a complete mess but if you've always voted for them are you really going to put your cross in the Tory box this time?

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

This election changes things. For all the time she's been prime minister, she's been talking to the Tory right. She won't have to come June. They won't mean a thing to her. And she owes them one for shoving her about like that. 

I always ask three contextual questions about politicians. 

Where do they come from? What do they want? Who are they talking to? 

The answers for May might be:

1. anti-posho Tory vicar's daughter from the shires

2. a prosperous God-fearing, law-abiding country

3. anyone but the people she's about to screw royally for going against her first two answers. 

2 hours ago, blueatheart said:

I imagine like a lot of people, I've had enough of Brexit. I would be surprised if we left within the next two years but I do see it happening not too much longer after that. 

What I want out of this election, more than anything, is a weaker SNP. Sturgeon is coralling the Scottish people into another indy ref and now really isn't the time for us or them. The Tories are doing ok in Scotland (very ok given their recent history north of the border) but they won't take too many seats. If Labour could win seats anywhere, it could be in Scotland under Kezia Dugdale but Ruth Davidson seems to have a better understand of the split between Westminster politics and Scottish politics.

Ruth Davidson gets a fuckload of media airtime for someone whose party has one seat in Scotland (the same number as Labour and Lib Dems).

16 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Ruth Davidson gets a fuckload of media airtime for someone whose party has one seat in Scotland (the same number as Labour and Lib Dems).

It is a bit different though because of the Scottish government. The Tories are the second largest party and labour are getting lost in the unionist fight.

Either way, it would be of benefit to all if labour did well in Scotland.

I think that Labour and Lib Dems and other parties should avoid attacking each other and focus their energies on the Govt.

Here is a very interesting quiz/survey that you enter your views and it shows which party you are most aligned with, quite often with some surprising results:
Well worth a look.

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz

4 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

It is a bit different though because of the Scottish government. The Tories are the second largest party and labour are getting lost in the unionist fight.

Either way, it would be of benefit to all if labour did well in Scotland.

They have 31 MSPs in Holyrood, less than half of that of the SNP and a little more than Labour (23), yet Dugdale doesn't get a look in compared to Davidson in media coverage.

I find it strange that some are falling for the media line about Farron, when they are the same people (not meaning on here) who are saying don't fall for the media lines about Corbyn.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39644939?error_code=4201&error_message=User+canceled+the+Dialog+flow#_=_

Granted he was a tit for not making it clearer at the time, but it is a diversion from more significant issues. Coincidence, I think not.

Compare and contrast Farron's voting record v May's.
Farron: https://t.co/5mn8QMLKyp

May: C9xCojNXgAEeBQP.jpg

Let's hope the debate is far superior than the last two national elections, with facts. We can only hope.

1 hour ago, singe said:

I find it strange that some are falling for the media line about Farron, when they are the same people (not meaning on here) who are saying don't fall for the media lines about Corbyn.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39644939?error_code=4201&error_message=User+canceled+the+Dialog+flow#_=_

Granted he was a tit for not making it clearer at the time, but it is a diversion from more significant issues. Coincidence, I think not.

"Falling for the media line"? He only clarified yesterday. He's had plenty of time. And he's made statements before that at the very least give cause for concern as to his commitment to some socially liberal policies that matter (regardless of which side you prefer).

I think he's caught in a tricky place - I think his principles are quite strong (and there's nothing wrong with not wanting to compromise those) and ultimately he'd be practical enough to recognise his personal principles aren't sufficient basis for governmental policy and would need support from sufficient weight of MPs and public. But if you're going to be treated as a serious contender you need to address these things sooner rather than later.

Edited by Crusoe

1 hour ago, singe said:

Compare and contrast Farron's voting record v May's.
Farron: https://t.co/5mn8QMLKyp

May:

Let's hope the debate is far superior than the last two national elections, with facts. We can only hope.

That appears to neglect the bit where he voted against the Equality Act in 2007.

35 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

That appears to neglect the bit where he voted against the Equality Act in 2007.

Like I said, let's focus on May's record. I'm not holding him up as perfect, it's the lack of fair comparison.

Few will have an umblemished record.
The Tories seek to divide, where there may be little division.
He should have made it crystal clear No Coalition, but leaving it open to individual votes in my opinion too.

Edited by singe

26 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Lib Dems could have said that they couldn't see forming a coalition with the current Labour leadership to leave options open. They really are half arsed.

The problem is that Corbyn seems to be leading Labour to Armageddon, making it as toxic to join them as it was last time with Brown.
It's very sad to see, as a strong Labour or strong Lab/LibDemvoting pact could annihilate the right wing parties.

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I don't get how people are having a pop at Farron for not squaring his personal beliefs with his voting beliefs, yet are happy to vote for Theresa May to take us out of the EU,w hen she supported staying in!
C926d-rXsAA5xMm.jpg

Edited by singe