General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, markgaston said:

The only party which does not attend, debate and vote in Westminster are the Shinners because they refuse to swear an oath of allegiance.  

Fair enough, I thought I had heard Channel Four say none of the Northern Ireland parties were represented in Westminster. Which they argued effectively pushed May over the line, still this agreement with the DUP is frustrating. May's legacy could well be a botched election, and disregarding the Good Friday Agreement for personal gain.

Still people support her, the mind boggles.  

21 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Fair enough, I thought I had heard Channel Four say none of the Northern Ireland parties were represented in Westminster. Which they argued effectively pushed May over the line, still this agreement with the DUP is frustrating. May's legacy could well be a botched election, and disregarding the Good Friday Agreement for personal gain.

Still people support her, the mind boggles.  

Who should people support?  Who has the most legitimate mandate?

I think I have been proved right that ALL the politicians we have now are a set of  self serving, disingenuous, power hungry idiots.  For some reason some very gullible people think Corbyn is "different".  he really isn't.

4 hours ago, leeslover said:

Guido Fawkes said that mini-Paisley said it happened, and that's good enough for me 

FFS I hope your source for Jeffrey Donaldson being in a big gay closet is more reliable. I'd hate to think I'd unfairly slandered him.

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Who should people support?  Who has the most legitimate mandate?

I think I have been proved right that ALL the politicians we have now are a set of  self serving, disingenuous, power hungry idiots.  For some reason some very gullible people think Corbyn is "different".  he really isn't.

thVDR5JCE4.jpg

aaaaaaand Corbyn has already blamed the fire on local authority cuts.   "This is what happens when local authority spending is cut".  Literally everything is down to not enough spending with this guy. 

Or... the local authority concerned hasn't spent money wisely, or the safety inspector employed by the local authority is incompetent, or the company employed to do the recent multi million pound improvements to the block have fucked up.  

Amazing response by the the fire service and I hope they have kept the casualties down.  

36 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

aaaaaaand Corbyn has already blamed the fire on local authority cuts.   "This is what happens when local authority spending is cut".  Literally everything is down to not enough spending with this guy. 

Or... the local authority concerned hasn't spent money wisely, or the safety inspector employed by the local authority is incompetent, or the company employed to do the recent multi million pound improvements to the block have fucked up.  

Amazing response by the the fire service and I hope they have kept the casualties down.  

It's hardly just him.

12 Fire Engines out of service today.

3 nearby Fire stations, they had to bring in pumps from Surrey. A further 10 stations to close and 550 jobs lost.

The Fire Brigades reduced role in Inspection and Safety transferring it to self regulation of private sector.

20% rise in fire deaths

17% cut since 2010.

I didn't vote Labour.

Fire Brigades UnionVerified account @fbunational

These are the bruising cuts to fire and rescue authorities in England that the current government have planned

C-gnI6BXcAAwCP3.jpg
7 replies 148 retweets 45 likes

Opportunism from deaths. Sickens me. 

They were there in 8minutes. The nature of the fire was the problem. Not the resource.  Somebody has fucked up with this building.  It should not escape and hop floors so easily. 

30 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Opportunism from deaths. Sickens me. 

They were there in 8minutes. The nature of the fire was the problem. Not the resource.  Somebody has fucked up with this building.  It should not escape and hop floors so easily. 

If all this is investigated properly, then that will be way down the list if things that is sickening. 

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Pot, kettle?

if Corbyn's approach is to blame everything on cuts, yours is to claim they are irrelevant. Pointless argument because there's no chance of reaching a common position. I note the independent is claiming the money at least in part was spent so they looked nicer for millionaires in surrounding areas when it appears a sprinkler system would have cost a fraction of that so you probably have a point in relation to the priorities of the local Tory council.

17 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Me thinks that perhaps you are a little biased here. If there is one person who should not rush to comment it is your good self

14 hours ago, leeslover said:

I do feel we should wait and see here.

I quite agree

11 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Having just read Corbyn's statement word for word there's only one sentence that strikes me as opportunist, and for that he was quoting Harriet Harman.

The rest of it came across as pretty sensible.

Don't let the facts get in the way of Mr Kowenicki's political agenda.

This is what Corbyn said, after being explicitly questioned by the interviewer about the 2009 fire, and having opened by praising fire fighters and emergency services.

"Harriet Harman the MP who represented those people that suffered in the fire in 2009 has made the point that if you cut local authority expenditure then the price is paid somewhere.

Today is the day to support the emergency services and residents ... Tomorrow is the time to ask all those questions. But today let’s concentrate on dealing with the consequences of this fire and try and bring comfort and safety and safe life wherever possible it can be saved.

The areas one has to look at, are the preventive measures that were available, or not available, in the tower; the facilities available to get in and out of it in an emergency ... and the numbers of people available to the fire service, paramedics and emergency services to deal with a crisis like this. We have to make sure we are properly resourced to deal with this kind of crisis. Today let’s concentrate on saving lives.

A review took place after the fire in Camberwell, and the government has that review. We need to ask questions about what facilities and resources have been given to every local authority that has tower block in their area and, frankly most do. We need people to be safe living in high rise buildings.

Obviously ministers who received those reports must be questions, but today every focus must be on saving and protecting life."