General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

18 minutes ago, opinions4u said:

This is what Corbyn said, after being explicitly questioned by the interviewer about the 2009 fire, and having opened by praising fire fighters and emergency services.

"Harriet Harman the MP who represented those people that suffered in the fire in 2009 has made the point that if you cut local authority expenditure then the price is paid somewhere.

Today is the day to support the emergency services and residents ... Tomorrow is the time to ask all those questions. But today let’s concentrate on dealing with the consequences of this fire and try and bring comfort and safety and safe life wherever possible it can be saved.

The areas one has to look at, are the preventive measures that were available, or not available, in the tower; the facilities available to get in and out of it in an emergency ... and the numbers of people available to the fire service, paramedics and emergency services to deal with a crisis like this. We have to make sure we are properly resourced to deal with this kind of crisis. Today let’s concentrate on saving lives.

A review took place after the fire in Camberwell, and the government has that review. We need to ask questions about what facilities and resources have been given to every local authority that has tower block in their area and, frankly most do. We need people to be safe living in high rise buildings.

Obviously ministers who received those reports must be questions, but today every focus must be on saving and protecting life."

The opportunist bastard ??

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tories are bang to rights for this and they know it.

Council cuts.

Fire service cuts, including shit pay deals forever.

Legal aid cuts.

Out of control property market.

Shit rights for renters.

Shit penalties for bad landlords.

They've fought and won elections on this platform...and this is what you get.

1 hour ago, opinions4u said:

Theresa's performance in visiting the scene but not the victims might be the end of her leadership.

Whatever your politics, after the past few weeks, I struggle to see how anyone can perceive May as fit to be Prime Minister.

15 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Whatever your politics, after the past few weeks, I struggle to see how anyone can perceive May as fit to be Prime Minister.

Ah, but who to replace her with when your party doesn't want to risk another general election...

Yeah, considering one of the criticisms of the Conservative campaign is that May failed to engage personally with voters and come across as humane and statesmanlike (whether on the road, in the press, interviews or missing the debate) this is very poor.

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

I blame our 'political correspondents' in some respects as they never manage to force any politician (of either party) to answer the bloody question.

The vicars daughter gets away with simply spouting shite day after day. Is she really the best that the Tory party has?

She says nothing/avoids answering all the time. Brexit means Brexit-wtf does that mean? 

Do we actually have a bloody government at the moment as everything seems to be postponed/delayed etc?

5 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

I blame our 'political correspondents' in some respects as they never manage to force any politician (of either party) to answer the bloody question.

The vicars daughter gets away with simply spouting shite day after day. Is she really the best that the Tory party has?

She says nothing/avoids answering all the time. Brexit means Brexit-wtf does that mean? 

Do we actually have a bloody government at the moment as everything seems to be postponed/delayed etc?

Again I'm hardly unbiased but Jezza is looking increasing Prime Ministerial compared to his bumbling oppo. When even the like of Piers sodding Morgan are tweeting pictures of him at Grenfell with the 3 words "empathy, humanity, leadership" underneath you know the sands are shifting.

37 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Again I'm hardly unbiased but Jezza is looking increasing Prime Ministerial compared to his bumbling oppo. When even the like of Piers sodding Morgan are tweeting pictures of him at Grenfell with the 3 words "empathy, humanity, leadership" underneath you know the sands are shifting.

I suppose if Theresa is Ellis Plumber then Jezza is doing a cracking Jamie Reckord.

Neither are a Dennis Irwin and I don't see one in either party.

26 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Votes against making rented homes fit for human habitation 

Labour - 0 

Lib Dem - 0

SNP - 0

Conservatives - 312

Things the Tories say we're not allowed to politicise:

Housing

Poverty

Unnecessary Deaths 

Things the Tories say we are allowed to politicise:

Not singing the national anthem

Wearing ties

Not remembering numbers

Additional cost of using non flammable cladding on Grenfell Over flammable : £5k (source the Times)

You're damn fucking right it's political.

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Votes against making rented homes fit for human habitation 

Labour - 0 

Lib Dem - 0

SNP - 0

Conservatives - 312

Things the Tories say we're not allowed to politicise:

Housing

Poverty

Unnecessary Deaths 

Things the Tories say we are allowed to politicise:

Not singing the national anthem

Wearing ties

Not remembering numbers

Additional cost of using non flammable cladding on Grenfell Over flammable : £5k (source the Times)

You're damn fucking right it's political.

Regardless of our policy views, why don't we wait for the report? I have no idea how the cladding deals with fire and whilst I appreciate the residents thought the management team were cunts, I have no idea if they were working on industry standard information. If someone knowingly let flammable material be stuck on the sides, I'll happily vote for the noose, but until then it's a lot of people shouting shite.

8 hours ago, blueatheart said:

So now that the general election has passed, so it seems has the relevance of this thread. To it's title and purpose, that is.

We are keeping it open seeing as though the vicar's daughter cannot last very long at all obviously.

You might want to take away your ball but democracy doesnt work that way.

54 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

We are keeping it open seeing as though the vicar's daughter cannot last very long at all obviously.

You might want to take away your ball but democracy doesnt work that way.

Like Corbyn, don't pretend to represent the majority. You are not 'we'.

The thread has moved into discussions about a fire in London and people are using it for political point scoring at will. It's badly misguided, ill judged and frankly disgusting.

Edited by blueatheart

People died in that fire, they could have been relatives of any of yours, or friends or even enemies. We don't know how many or of what religion colour or creed and all some of are doing is pointing the finger with glee.

May didn't start the fire, Corbyn didn't piss on it.

I'm done.

11 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

People died in that fire, they could have been relatives of any of yours, or friends or even enemies. We don't know how many or of what religion colour or creed and all some of are doing is pointing the finger with glee.

May didn't start the fire, Corbyn didn't piss on it.

I'm done.

You think people are pointing the finger with glee? Really? Glee? For fucks sake, I think it's more visceral anger, demanding answers. I've never seen less fucking glee.