Final League Tables 30.04.2017 (And Award Ceremony)

13 hours ago, disjointed said:

Surely there must be a "Piss poor" punditry of the year award.

Congrats to NZ on winning also to Hometown club for demolishing the opposition in his league, next year it will be interesting to see if he can make the step up.

As for myself next year I may cut out the nice guy image and take it a little more serious.

This looks like you are after this "piss Poor" award. You could get it for overestimating the first games crowd by 2434. But I propose you get it for underestimating the Sheffield United away game crowd by 6630.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have really enjoyed this year, and the cup win was the cherry on top.

NIce one to Stevie and Bristol (And anyone else behind the scenes) for running it. Id prefer if you could get Rod Stewart on the cup draws next year though!

Will definitely be entering again if its run next year.

Stevie J, in terms of whatever I might have won.

Could you please enter me in to next seasons competition, and then split whatever's left between Playershare and the OWTB running costs.

Cheers, and many thanks to yourself and BristolLatic for taking the time and trouble to run it, its been both interesting and enjoyable.

I look forward to competing in the big League next season.

Thanks to Stevie J and Bristol for their work with this. If I hadn't changed my predictions for the cup games to park the bus I might have been there or thereabouts.

Going to look at my squad for the next season, always have to be on the lookout for ways to improve from my position as Marquis of Mediocrity. 

Its the same problem, the attendance points costing me since the rule change. Would highly support a different system, especially one that gives a bonus for correctly predicting we won't score.

:bblue2::first:

Get in! Thanks to Shez and the boys for the form and consistency over the last few months. I'm happy for more of the same next year so I can continue to predict in binary. Not sure how I'll cope if the goals start going in. 

Congrats to to the other winners, euro qualifiers and those promoted too. 

And big thanks to Bristol and Stevie for organising the competition again, top effort. 

As for the prize money, I'll follow hometownclub with this and split between my entry for next year, playershare and owtb. 

Be good to have our resident pundit back in the fold too, battling his way up through the pyramid. 

Off to spend the summer working hard on my attendance predictions.

Edited by nzlatic

10 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

This looks like you are after this "piss Poor" award. You could get it for overestimating the first games crowd by 2434. But I propose you get it for underestimating the Sheffield United away game crowd by 6630.

That is some serious stalking.

On 5/2/2017 at 0:10 PM, lookersstandandy said:

I'm baffled by that.... it is some sort of protest....?

Gave up. Absolutely shocking.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:30 AM, Ex_pat said:

Congratulations to nzlatic and Hometown club.

As last years (and the previous years) Champion I know the pressure that is applied, and determination required to go about achieving this goal.

You have both quietly achieved this with a minimum of fuss, sticking to your task well without getting distracted from noisey neighbours. I take my hat off to you.

Well done to everyone who entered the competition. Without entrants we would not have a competition.

A special mention to Bristol & Stevie for their organisation and time. Thanks a lot

Hopefully next season the Latics will score more goals so we will be able to get a decent number of points for the first time scorer.

Enjoy your rest in the close season, and if I am lucky I will see some of you at the beginning of next season as I will be in the UK in August.

Doesn't even go to the games. Now we know how he got the money to pay the League's administrators to give him a paper title (like the oversized military cap of a third world dictator). Mineral wealth innit.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:52 AM, nzlatic said:

:bblue2::first:

Get in! Thanks to Shez and the boys for the form and consistency over the last few months. I'm happy for more of the same next year so I can continue to predict in binary. Not sure how I'll cope if the goals start going in. 

Congrats to to the other winners, euro qualifiers and those promoted too. 

And big thanks to Bristol and Stevie for organising the competition again, top effort. 

As for the prize money, I'll follow hometownclub with this and split between my entry for next year, playershare and owtb. 

Be good to have our resident pundit back in the fold too, battling his way up through the pyramid. 

Off to spend the summer working hard on my attendance predictions.

This wind of change is troubling to say the least.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, DavidCollinge said:

Well done nzlatic a worthy winner especially considering your attendance point haul was one of the worst in the top half of the league.

Praise also due for Hometownclub who with a total of 155 would have finished 3rd if competing in the Premier League...

Many Thanks once again go to Bristolatic & Stevie J for running the competition which results in a few bob going into the coffers of some 

good causes.

Next season i hope we can all look deep into our souls and accept back into the fold the self proclaimed King of Predicting,

a full quota of past & present winners would be a league worth winning..

As for me, i've had a shocking season (again)...

I agree with Dave...up to a point...but then we would tend to agree as the only people breathing the thin air on the high plateau reserved for amateur and professional era champions.

I'll come back into the premier league if you ask nicely. That's my offer. The game can't afford another season when the "champion" can't even hold his own on attendances. 

As for this season, Dave, I wouldn't worry about it. What you and I have done for the game is legendary already. Whatever happens, whatever terrible performances you produce from hereon in, we'll still be the true brethren of predicting.

39 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I'll come back into the premier league if you ask nicely. That's my offer. The game can't afford another season when the "champion" can't even hold his own on attendances. 

Understandable that someone who built a predicting career on stats and algorithms places so much stock on attendance points. 

The "but we won the passing" argument. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Understandable that someone who built a predicting career on stats and algorithms places so much stock on attendance points. 

The "but we won the passing" argument. 

Stats, algorithms, Bayesian variance, convolutional neural nets, HPC, non-linear geometry, huge datasets...none of it can come close the human art of predicting. Dave Collinge and I can see that very clearly from up here on the high plateau, looking down on the strugglers below.

4 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I'll come back into the premier league if you ask nicely. That's my offer.

Welcome to next season's Championship. That's my offer. Do you think you can get promoted?

Steve, I have just realised that as runner up I have won some money. Do us a favour and stick what ever the amount is in the OWTB fund.

Thanks to you and Bristol for all your efforts again this season, at least the prediction thread doesn't get hijacked by  name calling egotists.

8 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I'll think about it. How much?

I can't be bought. You have to achieve on merit, not bribery. You're a very naughty boy for even asking.

Disrespectful.

OK :lol: Is that better?

1 hour ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

No no no. You misunderstand. I was asking how much you would pay me.

Well, there's quite a few 0s in it. Actually, that's the only number that would feature. Nice try though.

54 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Well, there's quite a few 0s in it. Actually, that's the only number that would feature. Nice try though.

You always struck me back in the day as a reasonable, pragmatic, sensible, even-handed and level-headed man. Now all we see is a power-crazed screaming maniac who's lost the plot. The Sepp Blatter of the OWTB Prediction League. If you want to destroy the competition, go ahead. I'm enjoying my retirement. I love predicting but the baggage that comes with it these days is bollocks. I'd be surprised if you have enough for two divisions next season.

59 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

You always struck me back in the day as a reasonable, pragmatic, sensible, even-handed and level-headed man. Now all we see is a power-crazed screaming maniac who's lost the plot. The Sepp Blatter of the OWTB Prediction League. If you want to destroy the competition, go ahead. I'm enjoying my retirement. I love predicting but the baggage that comes with it these days is bollocks. I'd be surprised if you have enough for two divisions next season.

#againstmodernpredicting