OWTB Prediction League 2017/18

Stevie_J

14 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Hmmm.... originally I was thinking League position only..... but now you come to mention it, how about points for passage through each round of the cup;

Group 5

2nd round 10

Q/F 15

S/F 20

Winner 25

Bugger off. I've got enough to do as it is. :mad::lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Is there gonna be an environmentally questionable leafleting campaign? Yeah...THAT will change people's minds about participating in a dying competition.

Leaflets - printed on sustainable materials and able to be recycled - thus not reaching landfill, are surprisingly one of the most environmentally considerate forms of advertising.

Digital formats, consisting of significant electronic output, are paradoxically heavier in carbon footprint. Ask your colleagues at DEFRA.

19 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Leaflets - printed on sustainable materials and able to be recycled - thus not reaching landfill, are surprisingly one of the most environmentally considerate forms of advertising.

Digital formats, consisting of significant electronic output, are paradoxically heavier in carbon footprint. Ask your colleagues at DEFRA.

I ain't got no colleagues in DEFRA. 

Let me get this straight. You're saying that a printed shiny leaflet (for pizza and curry delivery, or a niche South London Christian sect) has a smaller carbon footprint than an internet or email advert? 

How much would you like to bet on that?

2 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Let me get this straight. You're saying that a printed shiny leaflet (for pizza and curry delivery, or a niche South London Christian sect) has a smaller carbon footprint than an internet or email advert? 

...printed on sustainable material i.e trees have been planted to offset the footprint.... and then recycled. Yes.

22 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

...printed on sustainable material i.e trees have been planted to offset the footprint.... and then recycled. Yes.

I love the "trees have been planted" ruse. And as if they don't end up in landfill.

Still. At least you're taking the train to work...so that's something positive for the environment.

4 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

It's sad to see a former champion resorting to challenging people to a bet over carbon footprint, now that his predicting days are over.

Like watching Gazza rocking up to Rothbury with a cooked chicken, a dressing gown and a fishing rod.

Cheers everyone for the support of playershare again for the 2017/18 season...I'll be paying later on today

Done today...well someone has got to prop you buggers up..bring it on

Edited by underdog

1 hour ago, a259 said:

Where is it that I sign up and pay please?

Entry is £10 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address and please leave your OWTB username in the PayPal message box) or PM me for account details for BACS transfer. 

6 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Entry is £10 for the season, to be paid via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (note the underscore - may be best to copy and paste the address and please leave your OWTB username in the PayPal message box) or PM me for account details for BACS transfer. 

Thanks, I'll get that done.

2 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Just paid and looking forward to my inaugural season.

I suspect it will be like most of my Fantasy Leagues, in that I will forget most of the time and have players that no longer play for us in my predictions.

Welcome aboard. Tie a knot in yer hankie.

I have updated the rules at the head of the Prediction League forum and they are copied below.  I would recommend players glance over these - particularly any new players.  Please shout if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

You will notice more players will be relegated than promoted this season.  The Premier League will be reduced to 18 players next season, as we are nearing a number of players to justify three divisions, if we carry on the way we are going.  That may mean those at the bottom of the Championship applying for re-election at the end of the season.  Unfortunately, I can't confirm without knowing how many players sign up for 2018/19.

Massive thanks to everyone who has signed up this time around.  I hope you enjoy the season.  :chubb:

Prediction League Rules

Welcome to the OWTB.co.uk Prediction League 2017/18!
The Rules:
Players must pay £10 by PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk by 3pm on 5 August 2017, providing me with your OWTB username in the comments box. I'll post a list of participants in a thread in the prediction league forum, so if you have paid and don't appear in that list, please let me know.  If you don't want to use PayPal, please PM me for bank account details for BACS transfer.
The total fees will be distributed as follows:
Half to be used as a prize fund to be divided: 25% to the Premier League winner; 12.5% to the Premier League runner up; 25% to the Championship League winner; 12.5% to the Championship League runner-up; and 25% to the cup winner.
The other half of the pot, minus any fees, will be split equally as donations to PlayerShare and Dr Kershaw's Hospice.

Predictions:
Players must predict the half-time score; the full-time score; first Latics goalscorer and the match attendance.
e.g. Rochdale 0-1 Latics (HT 0-0) - Davies - 3,331
Please keep the predictions in this format - it makes Bristolatic's life a lot easier when working on the league tables.

All league games (but not cup games) will count in the Prediction League competition.

Any predictions submitted or edited less than 10 minutes before the stated kick-off time will not count.

Players must post their predictions in the correct thread for those predictions to count.  Predictions posted in an incorrect thread will not count.
In the event that a player posts more than one prediction for the same fixture, the first submitted prediction will be taken as that player's entry.

For the avoidance of doubt, players cannot predict Latics to score in their result prediction and 'no scorer' in their scorer prediction for the same fixture. Likewise, players cannot predict that Latics will not score and name a first scorer. Nor can players predict a half-time score which does not align with the full time score (e.g. Latics to be 1-0 up at half-time and Latics to lose 1-0). Each full prediction should be fully-formed and be a possible outcome of the match. Any predictions submitted which are contrary to this rule will be discounted.

Partial predictions will be counted, insofar as they are complete, so long as they are a possible outcome of the game (no hedgebetting, as above).  So if you forget to include a half-time score prediction, you can obviously not score any points for the HT score but you can still score points for the remainder of your prediction.

Scoring:

Scoring works as follows (please note there are some slight amendments to last season's scoring):
Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;

No 'first goalscorer' points will be awarded if there is no goalscorer (even if you predict no goalscorer).  In the event that the first Latics goal in a game is awarded as an own goal, the first Latics goalscorer prediction will rollover to the next Latics goal in the game (if Latics score another goal)
If you believe that there has been an error in scoring up predictions, please PM Bristolatic and/or me and we will look into it.

Promotion/Relegation:
At the end of the season, the bottom five players in the Premier League will be relegated to the Championship. The top two players in the Championship will be promoted to the Premier League. The players finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in the Championship will playoff for the final promotion spot.

The Playoffs:
The playoffs will work as follows:

Players will be matched with the teams finishing in the same league position as them in League One. For example, if Bury finish third in League One and Scunthorpe finish sixth, then the players finishing third and sixth in the Prediction League Championship will playoff against each other over two legs by predicting the outcome of the Bury v Scunthorpe playoff semi-final fixtures. The same will apply to fourth and fifth positions for the corresponding League One teams/ Prediction League players. The winner will be dictated by the aggregate score over the two legs. The winning players will then playoff in a final, by predicting the outcome of the League One playoff final, the winner of which will be promoted to the Premier League.

The first leg predictions will be posted in a dedicated thread as usual.  Second leg predictions should be sent to me by PM and I will post them as hidden and display them after kick-off (otherwise the leader from the first leg could mimic their opponent's second leg predictions to guarantee a win).  There will be a reminder of this closer to the time.

However, in the (very unlikely?) event that Latics make the playoffs, ALL players in the playoff positions will predict Latics's playoff semi-final games and not the other semi final. The final will be based on predictions for the playoff final, regardless of whether Latics make the final.

For all playoff games involving Latics, first scorer prediction will be Latics first scorer (same as regular predictions). Where predicting on games not involving Latics, first scorer predictions can be for either team.

In the event of a draw in the final, the winner will be determined by the closest attendance prediction, then by total points scored in the playoffs, then by previous attendance predictions if still level.

The Cup:
The prediction league will include a cup competition, starting on 1 January 2018. The exact format of the cup will be confirmed, once we have established the number of players, but the competition will start with a group stage, followed by knockout rounds, through to a final. Players will be drawn against each other and their scores for a particular fixture will dictate which player wins. In the event of a draw in the knockout games, there will be a replay. In the event of another draw, the predictor with the closest attendance prediction in the replay will progress. In the very unlikely event that they remain tied, we will draw lots.