Port Vale (H)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Port Vale made 7 changes from Saturday's game, we made 2. They had their 3rd choice GK in net, we have one GK.

OK it's the Checkatrade and doesn't really matter but it is slightly worrying that we couldn't score against a side with only 3 points in the league below.

Then again we picked up one more point that we did last year in the first game, and we went on to qualify.

FWIW Newcastle u23 beat Crewe 2-1 in the group 

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Port Vale made 7 changes from Saturday's game, we made 2. They had their 3rd choice GK in net, we have one GK.

OK it's the Checkatrade and doesn't really matter but it is slightly worrying that we couldn't score against a side with only 3 points in the league below.

Then again we picked up one more point that we did last year in the first game, and we went on to qualify.

FWIW Newcastle u23 beat Crewe 2-1 in the group 

That's 3 more points than we have got

Byrne had a fine first game and got stuck in  and was our best player Imo and edged it over Hunt who had a good game.

Defence looked more solid and Gerrard and  Clarke played well .Midfield OK especially with Byrne but again little up front.Fawns should have done better with a good chance.Him and Banks fluffed the penalties under this strange new system.What was wrong with the old alternative one?

27 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Byrne had a fine first game and got stuck in  and was our best player Imo and edged it over Hunt who had a good game.

Defence looked more solid and Gerrard and  Clarke played well .Midfield OK especially with Byrne but again little up front.Fawns should have done better with a good chance.Him and Banks fluffed the penalties under this strange new system.What was wrong with the old alternative one?

Apparently this system takes the pressure of the second taker as they know their team as chance of a straight reply... they liken it to the tennis tie break format. Complete bollocks as per most changes in football... still waiting for that 6 second rule for keepers to be imposed 

49 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Very poor. Failure to score against a League two side sums that up.

Only positive is that we took a point from the game and remain just the point behind Vale rather than 3. Also with Newcastle winning at Crewe, it keeps us one point above them. Much rather Newcastle have won that game, having there other two games away as well.

Very much in it. Crewe away will prove critcial I think. Would fancy us to beat Newcastle at home however.

I also think if we did lose at Crewe, we wouldn't mathmatically be out of it. Not a great point last night but in the scheme of the group, it'll do.

Roll on October 2nd.

You're taking this CT competition far too seriously.

21 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I've not missed a Latics game in it for 9 years. I love it. Cheap football and a realistic chance to get to Wembley.

Take MK Dons for example in a couple of weeks, that game last night could have easily been a league match, yet it's £10 instead of £24.

I love the group stages as well, makes it a little similar to the Champions League for us lower league teams.

I'll be at Crewe, having a couple of pints and hopefully getting the result that put us on track for qualifcation.

Oh you were being serious ? Fair play to you I suppose. I wanted a win last night just to try to get some confidence into the team. That was about it really. 

2 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

I don't get it. It's cheap football, that let's be honest isn't a massive difference to a league game. Us playing Port Vale is no different to playing Wimbledon etc

Plus I don't get people's downbeats on it, it's a serious chance for us to get to Wembley, we've been 90 minutes away twice.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking you. I've used it as a good opportunity before to take my little lad, as like you say it's a lot cheaper and he loved it. I just didn't think many fans were that arsed about going out of it.