Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Michael Arherton, David Platt, Kevin Sinfield.

2 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Bernard Cribbins 

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Gertie Almond🤣

23 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Dora Bryan. 

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Eric Sykes was on the board in the olden days.

11 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Sarah Lancashire, Christopher Biggins, Nedum Onuoha.

Think we'd better try Sir Jim Ratcliffe at Ineos again 😂.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yes. They asked him for cash. He laughed and resigned. 

Eric Sykes was the spitting image of my Dad. My Dad was brought up one street away from him. My Granddad had six kids with four different wives. 

Hmmmmmm🤔

6 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Sly would no doubt provide some badly needed muscle in midfield, though pace might be a problem now.

We may have to look to musicians. Are the Courteeners multi-millionaires yet?

I would suggest not. Especially as band incomes will be at an all time low in the current climate. 

24 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I think some people may be confusing 'Latics fans' with 'Humans born at Oldham Hospital'.

You're probably right, Monty, but they may still have some affinity towards the town or, dare I say, Latics? Shots in the dark, of course.

I believe the first test tube baby, Louise Brown, now lives in Bristol. I could try to find her if you like.

On second thoughts, I'm not convinced she's got the dosh, so I'll remove my tongue from my cheek.

Siobhan Finneran was in the same year as me at Saddleworth School and her parents owned the newsagents in Grotton.

Bobby Ball’s son and Tommy Cannon’s daughter were at Saddleworth too at the same time.  She was quite fit if I recall but I’m digressing.

I can feel a consortium in the offing.  Premier League in 5 years, nailed on.

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He was supposed to improve our image and let more people know about us, but unlike Eric Morcambe did nowt at all. I don't think he ever mentioned us once in his TV shows.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

He was supposed to improve our image and let more people know about us, but unlike Eric Morcambe did nowt at all. I don't think he ever mentioned us once in his TV shows.

Although he did on Parky.

Eric Morecambe did, of course, mention us on a M & W show.

Eric: “Three things make me laugh”

Ernie “ What are they?”

Eric : “ Balloons, Haydock Park, and Oldham Athletic”

It wasn’t meant in a nasty sense if I remember correctly but Eric was never cruel...

20 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Correct. She was born in Southport, but moved to Oldham as a young girl. I'm pretty certain she once lived in Windsor Road when I lived in Gainsborough Avenue as a kid in the late 40s and 50s.

Yes she married Bill Lawton a Werneth CC  cricketer who went to play first class cricket.

mentioning Werneth CC  ...in the 1990s two former Werneth players who played in the same Werneth team played in the same Test match at Lords for different teams ....anybody able to name them ?

1 minute ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Yes she married Bill Lawton a Werneth CC  cricketer who went to play first class cricket.

mentioning Werneth CC  ...in the 1990s two former Werneth players who played in the same Werneth team played in the same Test match at Lords for different teams ....anybody able to name them ?

Carl Hooper would be one, Jason Gallian? 

4 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Correct......did you know that Jason also captained Australia under 20s and had a young leg spinner in his team ...none other than Shane Warne

Talking of Aussie cricketers, so sad to hear of Dean Jones passing only 59 years old. He was part of the generation that changed the way 1 day cricket was played. His test batting average wasn't too shabby either, just under 50. RIP Dean. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Talking of Aussie cricketers, so sad to hear of Dean Jones passing only 59 years old. He was part of the generation that changed the way 1 day cricket was played. His test batting average wasn't too shabby either, just under 50. RIP Dean. 

Brilliant fielder too I seem to remember.....one of the first to make diving in the field in test matches commonplace 

Archived