Ex players and that

9 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

File under "and that".....  have we got any 34 yo's on the books....? I'm assuming (possibly wrongly) it's a NW based club if Mike is reporting on it....?

No Eagles is our oldest player and he turns 34 in a couple of weeks. 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, lookersstandandy said:

File under "and that".....  have we got any 34 yo's on the books....? I'm assuming (possibly wrongly) it's a NW based club if Mike is reporting on it....?

Had a look under trasnfermkart. Looked at who was over 32, and this year. Of course it could be another year, but it to  filter it out. also it says released by his club, whereas if it was in July they' might say out of contract and former manager. Just hunces. Anyway, in the top 5 leagues only 2 pplayers were released after July and over 32. Both in L1.

Glenn Loovens at Sunderland, but their manager changed recently so less likely.

The other is Ross Wallace. At Fleetwood. With Joey Barton. I mean, you'd put money on it wouldn't you?!

1 hour ago, singe said:

Had a look under trasnfermkart. Looked at who was over 32, and this year. Of course it could be another year, but it to  filter it out. also it says released by his club, whereas if it was in July they' might say out of contract and former manager. Just hunces. Anyway, in the top 5 leagues only 2 pplayers were released after July and over 32. Both in L1.

Glenn Loovens at Sunderland, but their manager changed recently so less likely.

The other is Ross Wallace. At Fleetwood. With Joey Barton. I mean, you'd put money on it wouldn't you?!

According to Wikipedia Craig Morgan was another 34yo who left Fleetwood in September. 

35 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Mike Jones scores a ‘screamer’ at Dulwich Hamlet yesterday.

I was surprised to read that he actually played 80 times for us in his spell at the club. 

Great hit but what did draw my attention more, was the virtually identical Oldham owl on the rear screen of the home dugout, had to look twice 😲

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

And Freddie Ladapo.

A classic example of a loanee who was simply not ready to go straight into the first team when he joined us and most would agree that Oldham was a poor choice for him - he needed a club where he would have time to develop and to get used to the rigours of lower league football.

At the age of 26 he has already played for 16 different clubs. He has only recently found some form at league level for Plymouth and now Rotherham. A late developer indeed. 

Edited by TheBigDog

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

A classic example of a loanee who was simply not ready to go straight into the first team when he joined us and most would agree that Oldham was a poor choice for him - he needed a club where he would have time to develop and to get used to the rigours of lower league football.

At the age of 26 he has already played for 16 different clubs. He has only recently found some form at league level for Plymouth and now Rotherham. A late developer indeed. 

Or a classic example of the need to give young players, strikers moreso than other positions, a season or two of regular matches to develop and become effective....

For the record, I'm not suggesting we do this with Azankpo.... :lol:  

Wilson, maybe.....

2 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

They'll regret it if they do.

I’m inclined to agree with you. 

The move home to Dublin has worked out well for Jack. Player of the year as voted by fellow players, and the prospect of a second Ireland cap this week. Plus lots of coverage in the press over here saying he has grown up, and learned from the past, and hopeful of rebuilding his career further. 

But you can turn so many corners that you end up right back in the mess you emerged from. 

The key to how it goes for him will be how he handles the next difficult challenge that presents itself. 

I hope he doesn’t implode and goes on to better things - something that was never really going to happen for him when he was at Latics.