Ex players and that

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I see two ex Latics men, Colin McDonald (scout) 89 and Albert Quixall 86 are among the ten oldest surviving England players.

See there's a lot to be said for 20 woodbines after training and a pint of mild at half time, you don't need these modern namby pamby training methods for a long a healthy life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, inspectormorose said:

See there's a lot to be said for 20 woodbines after training and a pint of mild at half time, you don't need these modern namby pamby training methods for a long a healthy life.

And read the great Stanley Matthews used to enjoy a Babycham just before the kick off, which might explain his sparkling performances.

Look how it was in the good old days. players smartly dressed, a fag in hand, and a slice of lemon at half time.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, inspectormorose said:

And when goalkeepers had little to do.

ec1b43cab7abea630f671da1bb2bf724.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Hope it works out for him.

he wasn’t great for us, but I thought he had something that could be built on. 

he was better than some of the signings we made in the summer, including at least Urko  🇪🇸 and Adams, Gonzales and Kokos 

maybe he would have been signed if his name was Zaque or Le Dearnley 

1 hour ago, Dick_Valentine said:

New Mills will be low enough in the league system that Dearnley will be able to sign for someone in the January transfer window. Akin to how we signed Lockwood from Guiseley. 

I think the window for signing free agents is due to shut temporarily until the New Year. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Very - When I saw him at Crawley last season he looked excellent. Quick, direct, scored a great goal and looked like a real star of the future. 

Surely he was worth a punt for not much money??

20 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Lad's from Sheffield. I assume he was earning - for a young boy - eye watering sums of money playing for Yoonited's youth team. Has probably racked up enough cash to already be mortgage free [NB: This is based on the fact a pal of mine, in his mid 40's, wife and teenage son recently sold their 3 bed semi in Tameside to a 23yo boy who's promising football career at Citeh was ended by injury, and he bought their house in cash] & doesn't want to be too far from home.

We didn't offer him a contract, he may not have wanted to come here anyway.... went on trial at Rotherham after Yoonited binned him off, they didn't offer him a contract.... so, his relative life security at his tender age, means the hunger to search for work isn't what it might've been for generations that preceded him. So, to stay match fit and be ready to compete for a contract at another league club close to home, once his agent has sent his Yoonited show reel out to his chosen prospective employers, New Mills will do for now. 

Edited by lookersstandandy

7 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Very - When I saw him at Crawley last season he looked excellent. Quick, direct, scored a great goal and looked like a real star of the future. 

Surely he was worth a punt for not much money??

Agreed - I was at Crawley too and was impressed by him that day.