Ex players and that

32 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That has to be a contender for one of the funniest remarks ever on owtb.

There was a time when Celtic and Rangers used to bang on about the PL being a more fitting competition for them. Eventually the penny dropped and they gave up on their silly campaign. I could just about see them mid-table in the Championship, but "mid-PL and then some"......hilarious. 

This subject always pulls out some strange comments on all sides. How well would most current Premiership teams do if you took their (and only their) TV money and replaced it with Scottish levels? Celtic would immediately be one of the richest clubs if they were in England (which I don't want or expect)

36 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That has to be a contender for one of the funniest remarks ever on owtb.

There was a time when Celtic and Rangers used to bang on about the PL being a more fitting competition for them. Eventually the penny dropped and they gave up on their silly campaign. I could just about see them mid-table in the Championship, but "mid-PL and then some"......hilarious. 

Well, we all make em 😏

50 odd thousand crowds isn't too shabby and maybe high time they did join this set up and then we'd know, one way or the other.

1 hour ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Different times, with better players

If you took away the loans and played with what we have, It would be a cricket score

Different times as in last season! Are you removing loan players for everyone or just Latics?

You're having a mare, stop digging. 

Edited by Magic Mikey

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

If they were allowed into the PL they wouldn't have the same teams...  It's not that silly - the Welsh have cracked it.

I take your point but I suspect in reality they wouldn't be allowed in - in fairness they would have to start lower, so would not have the cash/pulling power to attract top quality players. Maybe over a few seasons they might make it all the way, but I'm not convinced. Cardiff and Swansea did get there, but I wouldn't say they cracked it. To be fair I'd back either of them though against Rangers or Celtic.

Sad in a way but Celtic and Rangers' glory days are long gone, and I can't see them coming back soon. You only need to look at their records in Europe pre-silly money and post, to see that.

5 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Well, we all make em 😏

50 odd thousand crowds isn't too shabby and maybe high time they did join this set up and then we'd know, one way or the other.

I agree their crowds are impressive. As I said in another post just now it's a shame in a way they aren't the force they were long ago, but that's modern football/economics for you. There is no reason for the PL to admit them and it would be a travesty with regard to the English pyramid if that happened.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree their crowds are impressive. As I said in another post just now it's a shame in a way they aren't the force they were long ago, but that's modern football/economics for you. There is no reason for the PL to admit them and it would be a travesty with regard to the English pyramid if that happened.

If 'Nicola' gets her way, they'll be no scottish players in our set up as they'll all be behind the great wall of England 😂

1 hour ago, OLDHAMADE said:

If 'Nicola' gets her way, they'll be no scottish players in our set up as they'll all be behind the great wall of England 😂

Why've you put Nicola in inverted commas?

The Scottish League could be an even worse standard and if both Glasgow clubs moved to the English league system I'd still bank on them getting promoted at first time of asking until the Championship. You can buy promotion from League 1, but it isn't guaranteed (see Sunderland). Both Glasgow clubs will always have that sort of financial clout. 

However, promotion from the Championship is a different kettle of fish. I think both would make it to the Premier League, but I don't necessarily think they'd always be in it once they got there. 

OK their team has improved since then, but Rangers needed 2 years to get promoted from the Scottish Championship. 

58 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Why've you put Nicola in inverted commas?

The Scottish League could be an even worse standard and if both Glasgow clubs moved to the English league system I'd still bank on them getting promoted at first time of asking until the Championship. You can buy promotion from League 1, but it isn't guaranteed (see Sunderland). Both Glasgow clubs will always have that sort of financial clout. 

However, promotion from the Championship is a different kettle of fish. I think both would make it to the Premier League, but I don't necessarily think they'd always be in it once they got there. 

OK their team has improved since then, but Rangers needed 2 years to get promoted from the Scottish Championship. 

I was going to put 'Krankie' but thought it disrespectful 😏

Rangers went bust and had to climb off their arse through all the division's to get back to where they rightfully belong.

Both 'Old Firm' club's would easily survive the Premier League because both would make damned sure they bought the calibre of player needed to make that happen.

Crowds alone, would dictate their qualification.

5 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I was going to put 'Krankie' but thought it disrespectful 😏

Rangers went bust and had to climb off their arse through all the division's to get back to where they rightfully belong.

Both 'Old Firm' club's would easily survive the Premier League because both would make damned sure they bought the calibre of player needed to make that happen.

Crowds alone, would dictate their qualification.

How are West Ham in the relegation zone with attendances higher than Rangers? That hole is getting deeper. Please stop. 

• Like 3

The Old Firm teams may get 50k, but on those gates Celtic have £35m in the bank, with £5m debt.
It's the Prem money that dwarfs attendance revenue with Newcastle & West Ham getting in £125m & £116m least year alone,

Wolves pent £61m the year they went up. Last year Swansea, Stoke and West Brom got £100m EACH in Prem payments alone.

19 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Umm 60,000 x £35 entry x 19 games = £39.9 million........that is more than pin money

Probably more than that. Premier clubs class that income as matchday which incorporates a whole host of sales other than matchday or season ticket revenue.

United are in the region of $350 million commercial, $300 million broadcasting and $140 million matchday income (per year).

10 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Yes but there were plenty of prem teams last season and there'll be plenty more this season that could make a profit without a single fan showing up to their games

More problematic is that our team would still lose money if double the number of fans turned up

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Umm 60,000 x £35 entry x 19 games = £39.9 million........that is more than pin money

It was more than that when Rovers were in the premiership and how long ago are we talking?

Bet you can't watch a top 4 side for less than 60 quid nowadays 

30 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

It was more than that when Rovers were in the premiership and how long ago are we talking?

There might be a bargain at a non top 4 side?   Somebody like Man U ?😀

On 2/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, OLDHAMADE said:

Course you can. fuckinell, imagine how empty the emptihad would be at £60 each?? They'd have similar crowds to us at that price.

14 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Course you can. fuckinell, imagine how empty the emptihad would be at £60 each?? They'd have similar crowds to us at that price.

I know you can watch championship football for less than you pay into League two

How can that be? no bloody wonder the crowds are going down.