Ex players and that

I reckon Keith Curle would’ve been a good manager for Tom Hamer. Would’ve got him playing to his strengths and improved him defensively. Agreed he had a big dip in form coping with Kewell’s all out attack style, but a young home grown leader shouldn’t be sold off for peanuts like he was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I reckon Keith Curle would’ve been a good manager for Tom Hamer. Would’ve got him playing to his strengths and improved him defensively. Agreed he had a big dip in form coping with Kewell’s all out attack style, but a young home grown leader shouldn’t be sold off for peanuts like he was. 

In an ideal world, we'd have far more local lads in the team, atleast you'd be assured of them playing for the shirt.

7 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

The lack of reserve grade football means the gap between youth team and first team is too big. It’s a lot harder for the kids to break through without getting blooded against experienced pros in reserve games.

It doesn't help that a lot of the non-league clubs we'd usually loan them to aren't playing at the moment, either

8 hours ago, latics22 said:

I struggle with the obsession with youth, it would be nice to role one off a season and make millions. But we're lucky to have one average one every ten years. 

l call ignorant, half baked, attention seeking bullshit.

Hamer, Tarky, Emmerson, Edmndson all far better than average and didn't take 40 years to come through.

lf l could be arsed l'd remember loads more, but you don't actually mean it and proving you wrong has become repetetively tedious. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Hamer, Tarky, Emmerson, Edmndson all far better than average and didn't take 40 years to come through.

lf l could be arsed l'd remember loads more, but you don't actually mean it and proving you wrong has become repetetively tedious. 

our return on them is a bit naff though- Peterborough make millions off their academy 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Anyone remember this lad?

Allegedly we got a wedge for him, though I'm doubtful it was as much as it says here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paweł_Żuk_(footballer,_born_2001)

There's been a few other youth products who went on to Premier League clubs for fees but then didn't make it.

18 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Hamer, couldnt even make it in to our bobbins team. Emmerson ridiculous, to even mention him, he's done absolutely nothing. Edmondson can't cut it in the pub league. And tarky is my 1 Every ten years. Stop fishing please

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Hamer, couldnt even make it in to our bobbins team. Emmerson ridiculous, to even mention him, he's done absolutely nothing. Edmondson can't cut it in the pub league. And tarky is my 1 Every ten years. Stop fishing please

Emerson has bagged a more than 1 goal a game ratio for a Premier league academy against some of the best young players in the country and hes only 16 

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Emerson has bagged a more than 1 goal a game ratio for a Premier league academy against some of the best young players in the country and hes only 16 

I presume we received a multi-pack of Wotsits for him.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, SweeperKeeper said:

Anyone remember this lad?

Allegedly we got a wedge for him, though I'm doubtful it was as much as it says here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paweł_Żuk_(footballer,_born_2001)

There's been a few other youth products who went on to Premier League clubs for fees but then didn't make it.

Doing well though, Poland under 18s and playing in their Premier league.

9 hours ago, latics22 said:

It means nothing, plus we prob got peanuts.

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

Over the years there’s been several players the club has cashed in on whom have never even got to first team level but have made the club money.A 12 yr old was sold to Liverpool just a couple of months ago which has paid for running the new development group.Emmerson has just been selected for England u17,hardly doing nothing considering he’s 16 and tipped for a bright future.A decent sell on could potentially be a God send for a club in our position.

• Like 1