Ex players and that

Just now, Handsy said:

I wonder who wellens  would chose if he had to work under   Al/Mo  or the Neville regime again  

Neither, I actually think that Wellens isn't a bad manager, as someone on here said, he just needs to be left to get on with it. It's a case of him finding the club with the right owners (seems he had that at Swindon). He will get another job as a league manager. 

38 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Chelsea are trigger happy and have had great success. 

There was almost a documentary about them on the beeb website the other day about them having fourteen managers in eighteen years.  Amateurs!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Neither, I actually think that Wellens isn't a bad manager, as someone on here said, he just needs to be left to get on with it. It's a case of him finding the club with the right owners (seems he had that at Swindon). He will get another job as a league manager. 

And according to a season ticket holding Swindon mate they are on the edge of admin and a complete shambles.

44 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Hang on. 

They have had multiple promotions under GN. His appointments have largely done very well for him.

Cash. Nothing more or less. 

They were losing 32k per week in the 6th tier ffs.

A donkey could have got them those two promotions given the spending.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And according to a season ticket holding Swindon mate they are on the edge of admin and a complete shambles.

I wasn't aware of that, it did appear that he was doing a decent job there, maybe this is the reason he left to go to Salford. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They spent money like water whilst Wellens was there. Shit or bust... bust it was. Not very lucky our Richie is he. 

12 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Cash. Nothing more or less. 

They were losing 32k per week in the 6th tier ffs.

A donkey could have got them those two promotions given the spending.  

By the same equation they should be pissing this league, and said donkey should be capable of at least getting them in the play offs. 

5 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Welles sacking has been coming for a few weeks. 

Neville proves himself to be a tool again...

When he first went into punditry I really liked him and found him a breath of fresh air 

Hes become another Alan Shearer believing in the smell of his own excrement 

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

By the same equation they should be pissing this league, and said donkey should be capable of at least getting them in the play offs. 

The further up you go the less the cash alone matters. Obviously. 

Sad to see that Frank Worthington passed away today, a real character from a bygone age and some player too - any kids with the kind of flair and flamboyancy he had would soon find it coached out of them these days. I suppose it's stretching it a bit to call him an ex-player, but I remember him turning out for us in Jimmy Frizzell's testimonial so I think he just about counts 😃. He was a big mate of Joe's and was often spotted outside the ground on matchdays wearing his cowboy hat ☺️. RIP

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Sad to see that Frank Worthington passed away today, a real character from a bygone age and some player too - any kids with the kind of flair and flamboyancy he had would soon find it coached out of them these days. I suppose it's stretching it a bit to call him an ex-player, but I remember him turning out for us in Jimmy Frizzell's testimonial so I think he just about counts 😃. He was a big mate of Joe's and was often spotted outside the ground on matchdays wearing his cowboy hat ☺️. RIP

Frank was different gravy. I remember that testimonial appearance, he was on a different level to the rest of our side that night. 

RIP Elvis. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magic Mikey said:

Frank was different gravy. I remember that testimonial appearance, he was on a different level to the rest of our side that night. 

RIP Elvis. 

Yes, he was class - I seem to remember him shooting from everywhere, he was great entertainment that night and there were a lot of calls for us to sign him. 

1 hour ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Really sad to hear that. What a wonderful player and larger than life character. Didn't he have his own fashion boutique at one stage. King of the mavericks (along with Stan Bowles, and Duncan Mackenzie, and Tony Curry, and Alan Hudson... and Groves and Stainrod and...). Wow, the 1970s! 

I watched him at a few Friday night County games. He was class. Oozed flair. 

I see he is yet another player who has died in his early 70s after suffering from Alzheimers. It is quite disturbing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Really sad to hear that. What a wonderful player and larger than life character. Didn't he have his own fashion boutique at one stage. King of the mavericks (along with Stan Bowles, and Duncan Mackenzie, and Tony Curry, and Alan Hudson... and Groves and Stainrod and...). Wow, the 1970s! 

I watched him at a few Friday night County games. He was class. Oozed flair. 

I see he is yet another player who has died in his early 70s after suffering from Alzheimers. It is quite disturbing. 

Maverick... that's the word. I doubt we'll see the likes again.

11 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Maverick... that's the word. I doubt we'll see the likes again.

Unfortunately the way players are coached now, mavericity is not allowed (mavericity may not be a word but I thought it fitted just right) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Unfortunately the way players are coached now, mavericity is not allowed (mavericity may not be a word but I thought it fitted just right) 

Mavericity is just what the game needs more of right now 😃. You're absolutely right though, any kid showing any kind of individuality would soon have it coached out of them these days, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Mavericity is just what the game needs more of right now 😃. You're absolutely right though, any kid showing any kind of individuality would soon have it coached out of them these days, unfortunately.

Who was the last Maverick player we had, I would say to a lesser extent Gary Harkins. Certainly Stainrod fitted the bill, would you class Tricky Ricky as Maverick? 

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Baxter to a point? 

Possibly, I suppose it depends on what you class as Maverick, if it's leading a unhealthy lifestyle (booze, drugs and driving cars illegally, then still wowing the crowds the Baxter is up there. (for the record I really enjoyed watching Jose play for us) 

35 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Who was the last Maverick player we had, I would say to a lesser extent Gary Harkins. Certainly Stainrod fitted the bill, would you class Tricky Ricky as Maverick? 

Yes, I think I'd definitely include Rick Holden in that, Stainrod certainly. Maybe even David Eyres... if the definition of maverick is being your own man and a desire to entertain I think Eyresey would count.