Ex players and that

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Be able to see if it was just the fact he was dealt a shocking hand when he came to Oldham or if he’s just not a very good manager (in England and League 1)

I always thought him and Barra came across well and there were many times we were a “Billy McKay not hitting the post” away from more wins than he got 

On a side note - that team which is far from our best would piss all over the current (last season) one 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

On a side note - that team which is far from our best would piss all over the current (last season) one 

I really wanted to like Robinson, he sounded like a decent coach and he was dealt a bad hand with us.  But 12 goals from 24 games is hard to look past.  I preferred last years 72 goal team to that year's 31 goal team (as good as Ripley, Clarke and Shez's comeback were).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I really wanted to like Robinson, he sounded like a decent coach and he was dealt a bad hand with us.  But 12 goals from 24 games is hard to look past.  I preferred last years 72 goal team to that year's 31 goal team (as good as Ripley, Clarke and Shez's comeback were).

Yeah can’t argue with that 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Be able to see if it was just the fact he was dealt a shocking hand when he came to Oldham or if he’s just not a very good manager (in England and League 1)

He did alright with Motherwell so my money's on the former

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He was dealt a shocking hand, had 5 players signed up (including Conor Brown) and only 4 weeks to both recruit and knit a team together. I went to Millwall first game of that season where we lost 3-0 and Jamie Reckord got injured after 10 seconds, Cameron Burgess scythed down a Millwall striker for a penalty after 4 minutes and but for Conor Ripley, we would have lost by 15!!! Spoke to a Millwall fan afterwards who asked why we were so bad, my response was "Our longest serving player on the pitch" was Law and he has been with us 28 days!!!".  We actually managed to beat Wigan in League Cup on Tuesday - sadly think that was the day when Abdallah saw us and allegedly fell in love with us! 

He could only get a team to compete (which he did), all the best players were gone by then and I am sure his budget was minimal, he wasn't helped by highly rated Freddie Ladapo & Lee Erwin failing to fire so a lot of 0-0 draws rather than maybe 1-0 wins. 

By January, had to go, bring Shez in, a few resources and a team that should have been dead and buried quality wise stayed up. I would have Robinson back if there was the option (not under Lemmies), did a good job at Northern Ireland and a perfectly decent man. If he had had anything like a chance, I reckon he would have done much better for Latics

Good luck Steve Robinson at Morecambe             

• Like 9

17 hours ago, boyinthesnow said:

Our former pre-season loanee makes his England debut between the sticks

. . . and of course someone thought he was shite!

On 7/26/2011 at 1:12 PM, johnno1 said:

He will be back to united on that basis. Believe me this lad is pants. A big lump who never catches a cross and dives in installments.

Watch any of the united Academy games and you will soon get the drift.

A wonderful example of how playing for united gets you England youth caps. he is so far behind Jack Butland who also keeps for England at that level it is humiliating.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Hamer has done well there but I really can’t see CBJ at League 1 level 

sure he will prove me wrong now 

He's played 31 games in League one, but all of those games were for a team that got relegated at the end of that season (29 for Scunny in 18-19 and 3 for Tranmere in 19-20).

CBJ reminds me a lot of Wabara, a potentially decent player, but one who's heart isn't 100% in it for 100% of the time. However, Dino being at Burton could be a key factor and I think Dino thinks he can get CBJ playing to his potential. 

I actually thought CBJ suited the 3-5-2 Curle likes playing so I was surprised he wasn't retained. But I guess this was in the offing and we'd have to pay him more than Burton, which wasn't going to happen, for him to stay. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

He's played 31 games in League one, but all of those games were for a team that got relegated at the end of that season (29 for Scunny in 18-19 and 3 for Tranmere in 19-20).

CBJ reminds me a lot of Wabara, a potentially decent player, but one who's heart isn't 100% in it for 100% of the time. However, Dino being at Burton could be a key factor and I think Dino thinks he can get CBJ playing to his potential. 

I actually thought CBJ suited the 3-5-2 Curle likes playing so I was surprised he wasn't retained. But I guess this was in the offing and we'd have to pay him more than Burton, which wasn't going to happen, for him to stay. 

I didn’t realise he’d played that many (or any) at that level. Fair play to him, he certainly didn’t offend me to Garrity or Tasdemir levels so I wish him well 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I didn’t realise he’d played that many (or any) at that level. Fair play to him, he certainly didn’t offend me to Garrity or Tasdemir levels so I wish him well 

He has also made 10 Premier League Appearances 

10 hours ago, LaticMark said:

. . . and of course someone thought he was shite!

The point blank save he made in the second half was world class. He practically got off the deck, and got strong enough hands to a pile driver of a shot to turn it out for a corner. 

I was starting to curse us for losing the lead as I thought goal as soon as the guy hit it.

23 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I am also trying not to get held up on the fact other clubs are doing their business early and we are appointing Stewards and getting a new Ticket system 

Just need a pic of a tractor now 

• Thanks 1