Ex players and that

Ex Manager.

Just ordered the book...

"This Is How It Feels: An English Football Miracle"

One of the great untold football miracles of all time. 

Hard Shoulder, M62 Eastbound, June 1982... 

Britain is on the verge of taking the Falkland Islands back from the Argentine invaders, Margaret Thatcher is three years into her tenure at 10 Downing Street and for the first time since the 1930s, three million people are unemployed – with the nation reeling from recession. 

One of those searching for a job is standing at the side of the motorway which links the north of England’s east and west coasts with his thumb out. Newly-retired former Everton, Manchester City and England striker Joe Royle is trying to hitch a lift to Boundary Park for what he thinks is an interview for the post of manager at backwater Oldham Athletic. Behind him, smoke pours from his broken-down car’s engine. After a passing lorry takes him the rest of the way, Royle is told that the job is his – and that he will have to sell a player or the club will go bust. Later that day, bailiffs drop in and eye up his office furniture. That night he is in his own garage, stencilling the initials of players’ names on training kit as the reality of the task in hand hits home. 

What happened next is one of the great, untold football miracles of all time as unfancied Oldham emerged from the shadows of their illustrious Manchester neighbours and embarked on a thrilling, white knuckle ride to the summit of the English game. 

This is a story that has not been told before. It is a time when the impossible was possible, long before the vast millions in broadcast money arrived and the creation of the Premier League changed football in England forever. A time when an astute manager and wily chairman could scour the big clubs for castoffs and achieve the unachievable. It is something that will never be repeated and, in these times of huge salaries and commercial excess, is a tale of harder and yet often-happier times when small clubs could dream big. 

In the 30th anniversary year of Royle’s remarkable revolution, it is the perfect time for This Is How It Feels to hit the book shelves.

This is my Oldham Athletic, not the pale imitation I see before me now.
The Lemsagams can f**k right off!

TIHIF.jpg

23 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Ex Manager.

Just ordered the book...

TIHIF.jpg

Reading it, loving it 

but Christ - players drink driving, smashing wing mirrors off on every car on Sheepfoot lane?

Throwing bar stools through windows the manager has to call in favours for? 

getting locked up abroad

nearly killing a coach with deep heat 

great football fairytale but lots that would rightly be condemned today 

29 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Reading it, loving it 

but Christ - players drink driving, smashing wing mirrors off on every car on Sheepfoot lane?

Throwing bar stools through windows the manager has to call in favours for? 

getting locked up abroad

nearly killing a coach with deep heat 

great football fairytale but lots that would rightly be condemned today 

Simpler times. 

4 minutes ago, disjointed said:

With all respect I don't think things haven't changed much, certain groups of people just drive stoned now. Wankers. 

Or both! I’m just not comfortable worshiping stories of players doing it just because they were ok on a Saturday in the late 80’s - Rick Holden is a raving alcoholic to this day going off his Facebook rants 

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Coleman got a shout out as well on Quest, As did Missile.

Not only that (I never knew Missile could do something like he did), but there was praise for Ben Garrity as well. What's even more surprising is it looked as though he deserved it.

12 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Not only that (I never knew Missile could do something like he did), but there was praise for Ben Garrity as well. What's even more surprising is it looked as though he deserved it.

Said Garrity was a box to box midfielder but we played him as a ball playing tippy-tappy one so not to his strengths.

No world beater by any means but a bit better than he showed for us.

55 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Yes, forgot about that. How could i? he was described as 'excellent.' Fair play to him.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, Wardie said:

Ex Manager.

Just ordered the book...

TIHIF.jpg

I'm sorry, i'm posting it again. This time, i've got the date correct...

• Like 1