6 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Interesting to hear Shez's thoughts.  He wasn't blameless but unfortunately he's probably better off out of it at the moment.  If for any reason we need him in the future I'd happily have him back.

Don't like the sound of owners entering the dressing room.  Completely undermines whoever is manager and smacks of Orient.

We don't know the full story, it could have been just a case of wishing the team good luck?

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Scholes situation just been discussed on the BBC TV nationwide news.

...this is kinda the point isn't it.... Sky, BBC, talkSport, they're all over it cos of who it is..... he can help to raise the profile of the club and as a result could be good for investment / attracting a better quality of player / larger attendances.... he could be absolute dross as well, it's a total gamble...

...what astounds me somewhat, is the absolute clamour for Wellens. Before the Peterborough game, people were scoffing at him being given the job, the cheap option, like Dean Holden they shouted. He wins 3 [three] games and all of a sudden he's the fkin messiah. Think about that, 3 [three], not 300, or even 30. One, Two, Three. End.

People need to calm down. He's still just as much a risk as Scholes. They probably have the same qualification/credentials to be a manager..... neither is better, not worse than the other.... however one win hands down in terms of profile, which takes me back to my first sentence.... this is kinda the point isn't it.....

Personally, I'd happy with either..... and delighted with Scholes as manager and Wellens as assistant.

Edited by lookersstandandy

5 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

...this is kinda the point isn't it.... Sky, BBC, talkSport, they're all over it cos of who it is..... he can help to raise the profile of the club and as a result could be good for investment / attracting a better quality of player / larger attendances.... he could be absolute dross as well, it's a total gamble...

...what astounds me somewhat, is the absolute clamour for Wellens. Before the Peterborough game, people were scoffing at him being given the job, the cheap option, like Dean Holden they shouted. He wins 3 [three] games and all of a sudden he's the fkin messiah. Think about that, 3 [three], not 300, or even 30. One, Two, Three. End.

People need to calm down. He's still just as much a risk as Scholes. They probably have the same qualification/credentials to be a manager..... neither is better, not worse than the other.... however one win hands down in terms of profile, which takes me back to my first sentence.... this is kinda the point isn't it.....

Personally, I'd happy with either..... and delighted with Scholes as manager and Wellens as assistant.

You can't understand people wanting to stick with a manager thats got us playing the best football we've seen in a long time?

7 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

...this is kinda the point isn't it.... Sky, BBC, talkSport, they're all over it cos of who it is..... he can help to raise the profile of the club and as a result could be good for investment / attracting a better quality of player.... he could be absolute dross as well, it's a total gamble...

...what astounds me somewhat, is the absolute clamour for Wellens. Before the Peterborough game, people were scoffing at him being given the job, the cheap option, like Dean Holden, they shouted. He wins 3 [three] games and all of a sudden he's the fkin messiah. Think about that, 3 [three], not 300, or even 30. One, Two, Three. End.

He's won three games in a row with a team that had previously won one all season (all whilst playing some brilliant football), has obviously got a reaction from the players and he already knows the club/players. I think the argument is that it's pretty redundant to give it to another inexperienced manager in Scholes just because he's a name 

Edited by Dayvan Cowboy

Well let's be positive. Number 4 coming on Saturday followed by 5,6,7,8 9 and 10. Then what would you say??? The Shrews have done it so why not us. A good man manager who can get his team playing the way he wants usually gets results. 

1 minute ago, Dayvan Cowboy said:

He's won three games in a row with a team that had previously won one all season (all whilst playing some brilliant football), has obviously got a reaction from the players and he already knows the club/players. I think the argument is that it's pretty redundant to give it to another inexperienced manager in Scholes just because he's a name 

Its. Only. 3. Games.

Keep Wellens as assistant. Continuity assured. Scholes profile thrown into the mix too.

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

Exactly.

Saturday will be the biggest test for Wellens. If he gets the 3 points vs Blackburn who are favorites for the league then we would be mad not to give him a go.

I have a lot of respect for Scholes with his experience in the game but he's a complete unknown as a manager. It's a gamble, our current gamble (albeit forced) on an unknown manager is paying off so why take another

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

...but two games later and others would have you believe we've got the 2nd coming on our hands.... it's madness.

After zero games your clamouring for Scholes based on what, his contacts, playing career? He's not exactly Mr Charisma and that won't bode well for being a manager

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

...I think your post here sums the situation up perfectly well....

...but two games later and others would have you believe we've got the 2nd coming on our hands.... it's madness.

That's nonsense though, the only one using hyperbole here is you.

People are simply pointing out that it makes no sense to appoint one inexperienced manager with no track record to speak of over another who has come in, got a reaction from the players and a couple of results and already knows the club and players, just because the former has a 'higher profile', which as far as I'm aware counts for absolutely cock all when it comes to management 

Bringing in Scholes as manager above Wellens could ruin all the hard work Wellens has put into getting the players playing good attacking football. If it's working then don't rock the boat to much or it might sink. Wellens has the dressing room on his side. Scholes has not there be the difference and Scholes is not a man manager or good interviewer. 

I see that in true OWTB fashion Richie's 3 games have to mean absolutely everything or absolutely nothing, NO INBETWEENS!! :lol:

He's been great, a breath of fresh air and the wins have also been achieved in some style.

He might have fluked them, but let's find out. 

Not one of us has been unimpressed by how he's handled himself and how he's spoken in interviews (for what that's worth).

The broad plan that he's laid out for what he'd want to do - picking up higher level cast offs and creating an identity as a good footballing club that will make such players want to come here and enjoy their work - sounds great to me and something I'd love to see develop. And as good a recipe for success as has been attempted for some time (if any such recipe has been attempted at all).

Even if the takeoever eventually gets (officially) confirmed and they want to do a Watford and go through 3 or 4 managers every seasn (which I can see happening) Wellens seems the perfect candidate to be the first of those 3 or 4 until he loses a couple. 

Also, from their point of view, or Corney's if the deal goes pear shaped, Richie won't have the same problem with AL's trialists turning up as that's probably not sacrilege to him (being younger) in the way it would be to someone like Shez...

And he won't just have contacts & knowledge of this level and the one above but that'll be very recent knowledge and very current contacts having just stopped playing.

He was a very good player for us and has stayed reasonably close to the club over the years - an example being his genuine, heartfelt words when Gordon died. 

It might well go tits up but it's a no brainer right now. For loads of reasons.