Wigan (A)

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

He doesn't go deep to help the defence though, he does it to collect the ball. Perhaps because he's getting no service but we can't fix that while he plays sweeper.

Can't he just stand in the centre circle ala Shez in his spell playing for us, pulling the strings.

I feel it is not going to be a walkover for Wigan and if  the players can put the same shift they put in at Blackburn then we can get at least a draw.Byrne has a lot to prove and Pringle and Fane have to improve.Wigan on paper should win and we need to contain especially the likes of Power.I want to see us play two strikers and get at them from the off like we did at Blackburn and for our fans to get behind them with the same volume.As Royle used to say...attack is the best form of defence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hands on said:

Byrne going deep to help out?

3 5 2 allows 2 up front with Byrne as a 10.

Id go with that 3-5-2 aslong as Gerrard is fit to play in the centre of the back 3.

I also think Byrne needs to show more positional discipline and not come deep stay forward its upto the other players to get the ball to him in the oppositions half he needs to be abit more selfish in this respect. When he does get the ball its upto him to make things happen.

Wellens on the squad: 

Despite having a large squad, the manager has decisions to make with a number of injuries.

We’ve got three or four players who are struggling at the moment and they are trying to get fit so two games in such a short space of time isn’t ideal,” he said.

So who are the three or four? Drummington for one and possibly Gerrard... but the other two? 

14 hours ago, leeslover said:

He doesn't go deep to help the defence though, he does it to collect the ball. Perhaps because he's getting no service but we can't fix that while he plays sweeper.

This is spot on. He's going Deep as he wants the ball constantly, needs to let others have a touch and remain higher up the pitch

Edited by aaronoafc

37 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

This is spot on. He's going Deep as he wants the ball constantly, needs to let others have a touch and remain higher up the pitch

True but playing Fane as the ball winner requires Byrne to look for him (Fane has an inability to kick a ball straight further than 5 yards) which invariably means he's dropping deeper than needs be, it worked initially but teams have sussed that now and it means its more difficult for us to play it out from the back because they crowd us out in the centre of the park and effectively we lose the battle, it pains me to say it but with the players at Wellens disposal a 4-5-1 or even a 4-3-3  with the two wide front men tucking in would make us a lot more solid, Bryne has to play centrally for me he makes us tick in that role and finds it more difficult and probably frustrating to get involved in games when he is moved out wide, for me the big game this weekend is on Monday and I wouldn't be risking one player in tomorrows game if there is a chance of them breaking down.

Edited by yarddog73

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

True but playing Fane as the ball winner requires Byrne to look for him (Fane has an inability to kick a ball straight further than 5 yards) which invariably means he's dropping deeper than needs be, it worked initially but teams have sussed that now and it means its more difficult for us to play it out from the back because they crowd us out in the centre of the park and effectively we lose the battle, it pains me to say it but with the players at Wellens disposal a 4-5-1 or even a 4-3-3  with the two wide front men tucking in would make us a lot more solid, Bryne has to play centrally for me he makes us tick in that role and finds it more difficult and probably frustrating to get involved in games when he is moved out wide, for me the big game this weekend is on Monday and I wouldn't be risking one player in tomorrows game if there is a chance of them breaking down.

Agree about the part of Byrne needing to play middle, he's wasted out wide. 

Pay on the day tomorrow is it turnstile or ticket office job? 

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

Blaming Byrne is absurd. The blame lies with the rest of the players in failiing to get the ball to him in advanced positions.

13 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Blaming Byrne is absurd. The blame lies with the rest of the players in failiing to get the ball to him in advanced positions.

He does tend to drop well back of his own accord though, knowing his best mate Kean Bryan will always pass him the ball.

Just needs Wellens to tell him and get the other centre mids pulling their weight and it’ll be reet.

3 hours ago, Andy-latic said:

Always baffles me why so many buy upfront when there is no reason for doing so

To save fuck around situations like at Blackpool. Walking halfway around the ground to a shitty, short-staffed ticket office when the time is spent better in the pub then roll into the ground with ease.

3 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

To save fuck around situations like at Blackpool. Walking halfway around the ground to a shitty, short-staffed ticket office when the time is spent better in the pub then roll into the ground with ease.

Shrewsbury & Blackburn also.

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

Agree about the part of Byrne needing to play middle, he's wasted out wide. 

Pay on the day tomorrow is it turnstile or ticket office job? 

Cash on turnstiles according to the bloke at the ticket office

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Wellens on the squad: 

Despite having a large squad, the manager has decisions to make with a number of injuries.

We’ve got three or four players who are struggling at the moment and they are trying to get fit so two games in such a short space of time isn’t ideal,” he said.

So who are the three or four? Drummington for one and possibly Gerrard... but the other two? 

In Wellens Ifollow interview he said Davies hasn't trained since the Portsmouth game. I assume he might mean someone like McEleney too.

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

It's really not, The players aren't given the option of attempting this. He just wants the ball 24/7. Byrne is our best player no doubt on his day, but he's the one who who's dropping as deep as possible to collect the ball. Needs to be told to stay further up the pitch

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can play where he wants for me, a joy to watch.

Not been a ‘joy to watch’ for a good few months in my opinion.

I want that swagger back that he showed so often early on in his loan. Always willing to have a dig from long range and played some glorious balls.

Hopefully we’ll see the best of him again on a newly laid carpet next season.

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can play where he wants for me, a joy to watch.

Not disputing that he is, just if we want to get the best out of him, i think he needs to be central and further up the pitch, not stood on Kean Bryan's Toes for half the match

Edited by aaronoafc

5 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Not been a ‘joy to watch’ for a good few months in my opinion.

I want that swagger back that he showed so often early on in his loan. Always willing to have a dig from long range and played some glorious balls.

Hopefully we’ll see the best of him again on a newly laid carpet next season.

Have to remember this is basically his first season in England playing all the matches, hard to maintain levels.

7 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Not disputing that he is, just if we want to get the best out of him, i think he needs to be central and further up the pitch, not stood on Kean Bryan's Toes for half the match

Onus is on Fane and Gardner to make sure he doesn't have to do.

To be totally honest - and I’ve been the lads’ biggest fan this season - Fane needs bringing out of the side for tomorrow. If not definitely on Monday.

Byrne is a genius at times with the ball and seems to have great vision. We have a striker in Doyle who has probably the best movement and finishing in the division.

It’s criminal that this is being wasted by Byrne being played wide and/or dropping so deep to get the ball because Fane’s footballing ability only allows him to play a 2 or 3 yard pass. 

I’d say get Pringle in midfield with Gardner but I think he’s been quite poor since signing. Possibly worth a punt with Mouche who seems a defensive minded midfielder who can also pass the football properly which naturally allows Byrne to stay further up the field.

Thankfully I’m not the manager and it’s not on my shoulders but it is getting a bit tedious seeing the same players every game when we have more than capable players in the squad.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if we are looking at tomorrow as a free hit game. Resting players and they are all back on monday.

If we lose tomorrow, it is expected. We need to win on monday.