Southend (H)

6 minutes ago, losesome said:

Sure we could hire some heat lamps from city??

Plenty of places we could hire something (not necessarily lamps) from to get the pitch playable. Which would surely make more sense than buying, given we'd probably only use them 10 days or so a year on average.

I'm inclined to think that, despite the PR video, the club were not keen enough to get the game on to justify spending money on it. The manager is probably happy to play the game on a Tuesday night with Doyle available.

Just now, losesome said:

City have lamps on their pitch most of the winter months which replicates the suns heat. 

Apparently City along with most premiership clubs have several sets of these lamps which aid growth and, as a by-product, help negate ground frost. We have one set I believe, which looks home made or at least inferior to the ones used in the premiership. It's been a problem for along time and is exacerbated by the high water table and overnight minus temperatures.  

"Oldham Weather‏ @ChadWeather

Replying to @OfficialOAFC @SUFCRootsHall 1.25pm

Just shows the difference between the shade and sun. Currently it's still 0°C in the shade at grass level whereas it's +13°C in direct sunlight at grass level. #BlameTheShade #oafc"

Bury's game is still on. Don't they have a stand that casts shade on their pitch?

2 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

"Oldham Weather‏ @ChadWeather

Replying to @OfficialOAFC @SUFCRootsHall 1.25pm

Just shows the difference between the shade and sun. Currently it's still 0°C in the shade at grass level whereas it's +13°C in direct sunlight at grass level. #BlameTheShade #oafc"

Bury's game is still on. Don't they have a stand that casts shade on their pitch?

Yep a strip opposite their main stand. Still on.

Whats frustrating its the same problem every time.

We know latics can't control the weather,  we know it's probably colder than other grounds, we know there is a strip that will freeze and not thaw in time.

Yet we continue to lose games because of it.

Poor poor management of the club that this problem continues and the scenes of pouring hot water onto the pitch make us look completely amateurish. 

40 minutes ago, bozman said:

Plenty of places we could hire something (not necessarily lamps) from to get the pitch playable. Which would surely make more sense than buying, given we'd probably only use them 10 days or so a year on average.

I'm inclined to think that, despite the PR video, the club were not keen enough to get the game on to justify spending money on it. The manager is probably happy to play the game on a Tuesday night with Doyle available.

We will have already done things such as print programs and made food orders. Added to the fact that its a saturday abd we will have to replay on a tuesday and weve taken 7 from 9 without Doyle from the last 3 and we have a squad that will be fresh from 10 days rest. Factoring all those against the fact that 1 player will be available who currently isnt? Nah sorry not believing that one. It would have been more beneficial for us to get the game on today. We just dont have the resources for a decent pitch or the resources to maintain it well enough.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Boiling water!  As said this is not a new problem but probably despite all the effort I suspect as we wait for the second coming we might benefit in terms of result if not financially.

Off to Mossley v Clithroe and the Fleece pub where there happens to be a beer festival.

44 minutes ago, bozman said:

But there's no guarantee Doyle will be available, and what if we pick up injuries and suspensions to key players?

The club is being run by a bunch of amateurs.

But it's been that way for years so not surprised. 

Edited by BP1960

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

But there's no guarantee Doyle will be available, and what if we pick up injuries and suspensions to key players?

The club is being run by a bunch of amateurs.

But it's been that way for years so not surprised. 

“....being run by a bunch of amateurs”

yes, it really does feel that way.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

I’m not stupid enough to think that we ourselves called the game off, I know it is the referee’s decision. If the pitch is frozen, it’s frozen, however it should have been called off earlier. Infact, I think it’s one of the 1st times we haven’t announced things like a pitch inspection, and in previous years we have called games off much earlier. 

It’s hardly a new thing - we called off many a game in the Premier League too - it’s the reason we played Liverpool on a Tuesday night when we stayed up. Was originally meant to be New Year’s Day I think.

its also no new thing to call them off late - Tottenham fans fuming outside BP one Tuesday night still makes me smile.

at the end of the day Southend fans make the decision to go to a game or not - they have access to the same forecasts we do, the covers were on it was colder than they could cope with - the ref was called after they’d been taken off and he made the call. These things happen it won’t kill anyone 

3 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

It’s hardly a new thing - we called off many a game in the Premier League too - it’s the reason we played Liverpool on a Tuesday night when we stayed up. Was originally meant to be New Year’s Day I think.

its also no new thing to call them off late - Tottenham fans fuming outside BP one Tuesday night still makes me smile.

at the end of the day Southend fans make the decision to go to a game or not - they have access to the same forecasts we do, the covers were on it was colder than they could cope with - the ref was called after they’d been taken off and he made the call. These things happen it won’t kill anyone 

Fans come last you are saying?

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fans come last you are saying?

The covers were on since Thursday.. the temperatures were lower than they could cope with - what more do you think the club could have done?

the fact Southend have a long journey is down to Geography - not the club, as someone has said some had arrived, so would have been on the road whatever time it was called off - unless you expect a middle of the night pitch inspection 

Just now, Buckshawlatic said:

The covers were on since Thursday.. the temperatures were lower than they could cope with - what more do you think the club could have done?

the fact Southend have a long journey is down to Geography - not the club, as someone has said some had arrived, so would have been on the road whatever time it was called off - unless you expect a middle of the night pitch inspection 

A lot more like hiring lighting and heating equipment.

Are the club still penny pinching after ALs takeover?