Bury (A)

7 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

No I was at that match and I’m saying without the support we would have threw the towel in long before and not have been in the position fir Clarke’s goal to have been a winner. We created a real backs to the wall atmosphere. I think the players efforts were driven by the fans non stop encouragement!

Professional footballers would have thrown the towel in if the fans weren't singing....?

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Professional footballers would have thrown the towel in if the fans weren't singing....?

Yeah cos professional footballers clearly always give 100%. It’s a game played by people not robots. Ofcourse frame of mind comes into it. And if fans can help get spirits up I think it helps performance. Why do fans all over the world even bother with singing and chanting then ? 

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I get the point you're trying to make but if a player is tiring having a large section of the crowd cheering you on is going to have an effect, pushing them to make that extra effort. I know they're professional footballers etc etc and shouldn't need it but it definately helps.

When we're on the back foot in a game and you can sense the crowd getting nervous and murmurings around the ground you can't say that doesn't transfer on to the players the same as if the crowd are creating a positive atmosphere. As much hate as the drum gets at times I've felt it does a good job at masking those murmurings which might effect the players.

Remember when we didn't constantly want/need smoke blowing up our arses as fans?

I reckon it wasn't even that long ago, 3 or 4 years maybe..

A very recent phenomenon that's getting worse and worse at a rapid pace.

Does my head in when Wellens (and Shez before him) is asked "and what about the fans...?" on Ifollow before & after EVERY FUCKING GAME. 

I love being part of a big, loud away following as much as anybody but this constant, relentless self back patting is starting to do my fucking head in.

'Morning all.... :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nah. Not having it. Take the Chesterfield game. Are we saying Peter Clarke headed the ball into the net because our fans were singing all through the 2nd half...?

The crowd gave him the lift to keep his energy to enable the last push , win corner, charge in, score

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Remember when we didn't constantly want/need smoke blowing up our arses as fans?

Does my head in when Wellens (and Shez before him) is asked "and what about the fans...?" on Ifollow before & after EVERY FUCKING GAME. 

I love being part of a big, loud away following as much as anybody but this constant, relentless self back patting is starting to do my fucking head in.

I suspect its a reaction to the fact we've been 18th in League One for the same length of time. If we were in the top 6, I expect it would stop......

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

You could have a started a new thread with that one. A thread titled "Things we constantly harp on about"...I found it amusing how for the umpteenth season in a row the "End of season run in" thread diverged into the annual "Latics great escape" thread :D

Edited by boundaryblue80

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

It wasn’t a corner ?

Strictly speaking this is true...it was from a cross which was made from a headed clearance from that corner. Anyone who thinks that player's performances don't improve in  a good, vociferous atmosphere hasn't been part of one. Admittedly not the most important factor but still a factor.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Strictly speaking this is true...it was from a cross which was made from a headed clearance from that corner. Anyone who thinks that player's performances don't improve in  a good, vociferous atmosphere hasn't been part of one. Admittedly not the most important factor but still a factor.

I may be wrong and it’s not really important , I was just being a bit facetious to my good friend 22 , but I thought it was from a free kick. 

14 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I may be wrong and it’s not really important , I was just being a bit facetious to my good friend 22 , but I thought it was from a free kick. 

You're right about it not being important.....I'm sad enough to have looked back at last seasons highlights on i-follow.

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

You could have a started a new thread with that one. A thread titled "Things we constantly harp on about"...I found it amusing how for the umpteenth season in a row the "End of season run in" thread diverged into the annual "Latics great escape" thread :D

Yeah, I always though only teams with something they could win had a "run in"....

5 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Agree was explaining this to a few of the young Athleticos who didn't get a ticket and desperate to be in with the rest. 

Told them some of the best Atmopsheres at away games was the originality and unique chants fans get going. 

Just need a few loud voices to get it going.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Did our support make Chesterfield really, really shit against 10 men for the whole of the second half too? 

It didnt turn any of our players into Leo Messi but it will have encouraged a few of them to run abit harder which will have helped.

Saturdays game will be my first away this season and while Im looking forward to it some of the lording it saying "we're taking over your town" seems abit too self congratulatory. 

24 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Bet the payondayers outsing the eagergeezers.

I don't think there will be that many in that stand. 200 maybe 300 at most. 300 would be a 2500 turnout. I can't see there being many more.