11 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

The fans at Shrewsbury this time last year where also calling for Hursts head because they where on a similar number of points to us at this time in the season but look 12 months forward and they are third in the league. Building a solid team takes time so I think Wellens deserves to bring in his own players in the Summer and let’s see what he can do in the first 10 games of next season. If we sack him and bring in another rookie we start all over again from scratch and there is no stability in the club again. Since Johnson left we have had nobody for more than 6 months as manager. We have gone from one crisis management to another. I think if Wellens keeps us up then he deserves a chance. I thought tonight we played some good football in bad conditions but we did not have any luck. You cannot blame the manager. We had 19 shots at goal and 59% possession. We played good football and their goalie produced two fantastic  saves . Also one was kicked of the so called line but looked to behind the line when it was kicked out. The Lino didn’t see it or the ref. They should have had a man sent off for a dangerous tackle. Our luck needs to change on Saturday.

The key difference is Hurst wasn't a complete Rookie.  Started at Ilkastone...won promotion. Went to Boston...won promotion. Went to Grimsby....won promotion. Went to Shrewsbury...performed miracles and may get promoted. 

My point is that we need a manager with experience of managing a football team We have demonstrated with Kelly, Dunn, Robinson, Wellens that rookie managers rarely work out at out level (I know there will be the odd exception...)  Not necessarily one with a massive profile (and wage demands) but someone who tactically knows how to get the best out of what you have got. Are Shrewsbury's players that much better than ours? I don't think so. IMO whatever happens over the next 6 games I'd look to change it ASAP with a fresh face for next season as I'm getting bored with finishing 17th!

If we stay up he stays for a full pre season as he has already been planning with al and a good go next season I would think he knows where to strengthen and has players in mind already as he said he wants them in early. I like his passion I just so hope we can stay up get 3 points Saturday all results go for us too and we get lady luck till the end of season and stay in league 1

9 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

The key difference is Hurst wasn't a complete Rookie.  Started at Ilkastone...won promotion. Went to Boston...won promotion. Went to Grimsby....won promotion. Went to Shrewsbury...performed miracles and may get promoted. 

My point is that we need a manager with experience of managing a football team We have demonstrated with Kelly, Dunn, Robinson, Wellens that rookie managers rarely work out at out level (I know there will be the odd exception...)  Not necessarily one with a massive profile (and wage demands) but someone who tactically knows how to get the best out of what you have got. Are Shrewsbury's players that much better than ours? I don't think so. IMO whatever happens over the next 6 games I'd look to change it ASAP with a fresh face for next season as I'm getting bored with finishing 17th!

Hurst or someone of his like would only get 20 games with some of our entitled supporters before the merry go round would start again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

"Personally, I’m very 50/50." ?

Yes, quite. I'm not sure L1F can say that and in the next breath say "If Wellens keeps the job.......I ....wouldn't go into next season with any great hope" and "....finish 17th. Terrific. Can't wait".

Sounds more like 40/60 stay/go to me.

If he keeps us up, he deserves a run of games - at least 10 if not more, unless we get cut adrift - next season to show if he's improving the team. There is a lot to admire in him in my view, and he's taken on a tough job.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hurst or someone of his like would only get 20 games with some of our entitled supporters before the merry go round would start again.

Very true! Every single season we go through the same thing just a different name being scrutinised

At one point manger got 2 years or more now it appears we don't give them 1 full season or the chance to build before change is wanted.

Its really sad but I honestly hope that we have a new owner who is strong enough to ignore a large portion of our fickle fan base who would change mangers every year in the hope it eventually works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Very true! Every single season we go through the same thing just a different name being scrutinised

At one point manger got 2 years or more now it appears we don't give them 1 full season or the chance to build before change is wanted.

Its really sad but I honestly hope that we have a new owner who is strong enough to ignore a large portion of our fickle fan base who would change mangers every year in the hope it eventually works.

The proportion of fans who are fully in support of Wellens leaving is minuscule from what I’ve seen. The vast majority want to see him kept on, as long as we avoid relegation, and learn from his mistakes. 

Ive been reading these message boards of various types for about aslong as we have been in league 1. The same criticisms at Wellens have been labelled at every single 1 of our managers including the likes of Dowie Sheridan Johnson and Ritchie. 

Weve got a lower half league 1 squad overall the vast majority of which were not signed initially by the current manager. A squad that should avoid relegation I would only entertain the idea of changing the manager should we go down.

Its amazing how often we build the manager up to be either the messiah or the problem they are usually neither.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, quite. I'm not sure L1F can say that and in the next breath say "If Wellens keeps the job.......I ....wouldn't go into next season with any great hope" and "....finish 17th. Terrific. Can't wait".

Sounds more like 40/60 stay/go to me.

If he keeps us up, he deserves a run of games - at least 10 if not more, unless we get cut adrift - next season to show if he's improving the team. There is a lot to admire in him in my view, and he's taken on a tough job.

Fair comment. 

I probably am 60/40 to go/stay but only because I don’t think he will really push us on next season. 

He’s done a reasonable job, and will continue to do so. But is that enough? I’m not sure it is. 

If he does stay, then I hope he proves me wrong next season, and we have a belter. 

13 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

If we had given Kelly, Dunn or Robinson two years, we would be in even more shit than we already are...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If we had given Kelly, Dunn or Robinson two years, we would be in even more shit than we already are...

Things have changed at the top since and the manager may be given what he needs to do his job.

Just now, palmer1 said:

Things have changed at the top since and the manager may be given what he needs to do his job.

But he hasn't. He wanted Mills - chairman wouldn't give him an extra year, Nazon turned up for training and Wellens was told there and then by Lemsagam that he was signing on loan, similar story with Zeus and Moimbe...

Some of you absolutely amaze me. 

The desperate need for stability. . We are stabley shite. Are you not bored of 17th. Or a gradual build to 13th. Because it seems 3000 lost fans are. 

Its a results driven buisnees. You all know that. But seem surprised, baffled, or saddened, when people look at results and want better. Really strange. 

I want any manager to do well for us, but it’s only natural to look at him and the job he’s doing when we are struggling. An IMO should doing a bit better than we are. 

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The desperate need for stability. . We are stabley shite. Are you not bored of 17th. Or a gradual build to 13th. Because it seems 3000 lost fans are. 

Its a results driven buisnees. You all know that. But seem surprised, baffled, or saddened, when people look at results and want better. Really strange. 

I want any manager to do well for us, but it’s only natural to look at him and the job he’s doing when we are struggling. An IMO should doing a bit better than we are. 

And yet sacking the manager consistantly has lead to us going where exactly?

That arguement only holds up if changing the manager is something we havent tried before.

Also if you read what people are saying we all want better knowone has sat their saying we dont want better than 17th in league 1

Edited by GlossopLatic

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Think there is a difference between want and expect.

All the shot data really only puts us a few places higher.

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

But he hasn't. He wanted Mills - chairman wouldn't give him an extra year, Nazon turned up for training and Wellens was told there and then by Lemsagam that he was signing on loan, similar story with Zeus and Moimbe...

If that's the case and I have no need to doubt it - it won't really matter who we put in. It will never be the manager's team.

1. Style: He's brought in, or trying to, a way of playing the game in a fast, high-tempo fashion with the emphasis of possession, but using that possession in a positive way.
    2. Media : He speaks openly in the press, which I find personally refreshing. I have never subscribed to players not being openly criticised. Some players react to criticism well, I give you the reaction of Jack Byrne. He was dropped after the Wigan game, then came on as sub against Blackpool, scored, then went over to Wellens with a look of 'take that and shove it where the sun don't shine". Wellens said that's the sort of reaction he loves.
    3. Recruitment and Contacts: He was a top quality player and was well-respected for it at the clubs he played for, so I believe other clubs will look favourably on him, because of the way he played and the way he wants his team to play. In my opinion Doyle, Byrne and Bryan all returned, because of these factors. We have also got Big Al's contacts from his days as an agent to add as well.

We need to give a manager a decent run, we can't be going through managers at the rate we are and still expect success.  The points League One forever makes concerning facilities, takeover, etc. are all valid points, which means that if Big Al can improve these elements then surely Wellens can only get better. I say say stick with Wellens and let's do something we've not done for years, which is to have some real consistency and stability at the club

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

And yet sacking the manager consistantly has lead to us going where exactly?

That arguement only holds up if changing the manager is something we havent tried before.

Also if you read what people are saying we all want better knowone has sat their saying we dont want better than 17th in league 1

We’ve made some really, really awful appointments. That’s not the managers fault. It’s poor decision making by club. Hence why we go through managers left, right, and centre. Because we quickly find out they are not upto it, and shouldn’t of been appointed in the first place. 

You only get stability, when results are generally good. Shez first time got two years, LJ got 2 years.

It’s asking a lot for stability when results are very average. 

31 minutes ago, Damian_Thorn said:

1. Style: He's brought in, or trying to, a way of playing the game in a fast, high-tempo fashion with the emphasis of possession, but using that possession in a positive way.
    2. Media : He speaks openly in the press, which I find personally refreshing. I have never subscribed to players not being openly criticised. Some players react to criticism well, I give you the reaction of Jack Byrne. He was dropped after the Wigan game, then came on as sub against Blackpool, scored, then went over to Wellens with a look of 'take that and shove it where the sun don't shine". Wellens said that's the sort of reaction he loves.
    3. Recruitment and Contacts: He was a top quality player and was well-respected for it at the clubs he played for, so I believe other clubs will look favourably on him, because of the way he played and the way he wants his team to play. In my opinion Doyle, Byrne and Bryan all returned, because of these factors. We have also got Big Al's contacts from his days as an agent to add as well.

We need to give a manager a decent run, we can't be going through managers at the rate we are and still expect success.  The points League One forever makes concerning facilities, takeover, etc. are all valid points, which means that if Big Al can improve these elements then surely Wellens can only get better. I say say stick with Wellens and let's do something we've not done for years, which is to have some real consistency and stability at the club

Point one hasn't happened since November.

We move the ball around predictably and slowly.  When we don't just slice it out for a throw.

Edited by opinions4u

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

So despite having no say, he's regularly playing 2 out of the 3. One of whom most agree is far better than what we had. 

Seems like RW is managing ok to me. 

Edited by BP1960

His first 10 games were brilliant, good results and great football, the club had a feel good factor about it. I thought it would return when certain players came back into the fold but it hasn't and we are staring down a barrel. If he can't get us playing well again this season then can we really afford to gamble on next season?

He was never really in the running for the job in the first place but those first 10 games got him the job, they seem like such a long time ago now