Think he would have brought Nazon off earlier if it wasn’t for the fact he’s scored our last 2 goals. The guy only plays for himself.

the pitch last night looked great yet we were so far removed from the team who was pinging it around for fun and stringing 20passes together for goals that there’s definitely something up.

The logic behind Wellens decisions makes sense so I’d still give him the pre-season and see what he brings in and how we start. There’ll be no Nazon, no Bryan, Gerrard won’t be a starter. 

Its just scary to think of the French lads who can’t get a look in on 2year deals and what Abdallah’s take is on them being left out week after week (which I agree with). Will he bring a puppet in who he can control?

Mick McCarthy would do for me 

12 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Think he would have brought Nazon off earlier if it wasn’t for the fact he’s scored our last 2 goals. The guy only plays for himself.

the pitch last night looked great yet we were so far removed from the team who was pinging it around for fun and stringing 20passes together for goals that there’s definitely something up.

The logic behind Wellens decisions makes sense so I’d still give him the pre-season and see what he brings in and how we start. There’ll be no Nazon, no Bryan, Gerrard won’t be a starter. 

Its just scary to think of the French lads who can’t get a look in on 2year deals and what Abdallah’s take is on them being left out week after week (which I agree with). Will he bring a puppet in who he can control?

Mick McCarthy would do for me 

Stay up and I'm happy for Richie to carry on next season - not sure if the unthinkable happens and we drop though.

2 home wins needed next week, don't want to go to Northampton needing a result!

I personally think RW is afraid to go back to the more open style of play we saw earlier in the season through fear that we may get picked off easier. Although entertaining we did ride our luck on a number of occasions.

Although none of us like it (him included I bet) he now wants to keep it tight which is what we've seen the last few weeks. Id bet though he isn't telling player to play it long and sit in constantly but that's what happens when you have average players, players who aren't willing to work hard enough for the team and players with egos they have no right to have at this stage in their career.

Hopefully we survive but which ever division we start in next year id be willing to bet if RW is in charge the free flowing attacking football will return.

He is being overly cautious due to the pressure.

Edited by palmer1

57 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I personally think RW is afraid to go back to the more open style of play we saw earlier in the season through fear that we may get picked off easier. Although entertaining we did ride our luck on a number of occasions.

Although none of us like it (him included I bet) he now wants to keep it tight which is what we've seen the last few weeks. Id bet though he isn't telling player to play it long and sit in constantly but that's what happens when you have average players, players who aren't willing to work hard enough for the team and players with egos they have no right to have at this stage in their career.

Hopefully we survive but which ever division we start in next year id be willing to bet if RW is in charge the free flowing attacking football will return.

Was going to come on and post something very similar to this.  I think it'd be a mistake to get rid of him, even if we are relegated.  The football played when he first took over and the pressure was off was fantastic.  And it says a lot that 3 big players (Byrne, Bryan and Doyle) chose to re-sign for us in January, despite them all having other offers no doubt.  The upheaval with the takeover, then the shoddy facilities, losing his assistant manager etc was always going to affect his ability to do the job and can't be discounted.

The way he talks about performance not being key at this point, it's all about results etc feels like he's trying to do a Shez and battle our way out of it but just hasn't got the experience to do it effectively.

So despite the issues we have currently and the very real possibility of relegation, I'd be happy to see him start the season, whichever division, with the backing of the owner and having the squad in place early so it would be a pressure free situation again.  I'd be pretty confident we'd be watching the same sort of football we were treated to when he took over.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

If attacking football brought success and the job why change it? 

If his team had performed like recently in his caretaker period he wouldn't have got the job. 

Edited by BP1960

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If attacking football brought success and the job why change it? 

If his team had performed like recently in his caretaker period he wouldn't have got the job. 

We had a good run of form, we are now in a not so great run of form. That's football!

10 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

We had a good run of form, we are now in a not so great run of form. That's football!

It's a disturbing run of poor performances and up to the manager to rectify. Unless Doyle starts scoring and the 'creative' midfielders pull their socks up I think we can expect much of the same. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

Just now, BP1960 said:

It's a disturbing run of poor performances and up to the manager to rectify. Unless Doyle starts scoring and the 'creative' midfielders pull their socks up I think we can expect much of the same. 

The players at this club currently and in the past never seem to have to take any responsibility. The manager cant pass and shoot for them, they have to concentrate on performance and step up.

These players have shown they can do the basics very well so why not now? I fail to see how Wellens can be blamed for individuals making the wrong decisions at the wrong time on the pitch. We all know they can do better.

Just now, palmer1 said:

The players at this club currently and in the past never seem to have to take any responsibility. The manager cant pass and shoot for them, they have to concentrate on performance and step up.

These players have shown they can do the basics very well so why not now? I fail to see how Wellens can be blamed for individuals making the wrong decisions at the wrong time on the pitch. We all know they can do better.

This is true, last night the passing was some of the worst I have seen by players wearing an Oldham shirt.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

If that’s true why even have a manger?

21 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If that’s true why even have a manger?

You can't be serious? 

You think a manager should control  a players indvidual mistakes, passing and shooting from the touchline which is what I alluded to in my post? 

56 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Do people seriously think we’d get Mick McCarthy? He’ll get a big Championship job next, probably Leeds.

His stock has fallen and we don't know how much money and or ambition Abdullah has. We also don't know which division we will be in either.

I think Simon Grayson is not out of the question if we stay up. He has pedigree at this level.

I think it's going to be a foreigner next up regardless of money, division or ambition.

Lots of talk about who our next manager will be!

I'm not Wellens' biggest fan as I've made perfectly clear in previous posts, I do but think we all need to unite and get behind him and the team for the next 4 games.

Once league one status secured...Graham Alexander for me next season. Realistic target and proven at this level.

15 minutes ago, pukka said:

His stock has fallen and we don't know how much money and or ambition Abdullah has. We also don't know which division we will be in either.

I think Simon Grayson is not out of the question if we stay up. He has pedigree at this level.

I think it's going to be a foreigner next up regardless of money, division or ambition.

Agree with all of that except the bit about MM’s stock falling, from what I’ve seen over the past week, everyone in the wider footballing community is in agreement that he has been very harshly treated by Ipswich fans. 

If Abdallah has serious ambition Grayson would be my choice, also. I have a feeling Bradford will give him till half-way through next season, though. 

I too suspect we will end up with some no-mark, probably from Nantes coaching staff...

19 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Lots of talk about who our next manager will be!

I'm not Wellens' biggest fan as I've made perfectly clear in previous posts, I do but think we all need to unite and get behind him and the team for the next 4 games.

Once league one status secured...Graham Alexander for me next season. Realistic target and proven at this level.

Tactics would send a glass eye to sleep, he'd have no chance with our supporters.