Northampton

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Making quiet man Doyle captain was a strange one, I'd have given it to a battler like Edmundson or Hamer, no matter how young they are they set an example to others.

Doyle is far from a quiet man on the pitch, probably the only one that shouts instructions and encouragement. We don’t know what he’s like in the dressing room either.

2 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Doyle is far from a quiet man on the pitch, probably the only one that shouts instructions and encouragement. We don’t know what he’s like in the dressing room either.

Didnt seem inspirational to me.

5 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

We lacked players shouting encouragement since Clarke went.Far too quiet a team.Could do with signing someone like Northamptons 5 and 6 who were superb against our timid strikers.

Whole team needs a leader.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don’t really think any of them inspire especially the manager so we were always a bit snookered!

Don’t get me wrong BP, Doyle wouldn’t be my choice of captain either but from what I saw at games he was probably the only one with an ounce of leadership.

As Stevie said, it shows just how devoid of leaders we were.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Inspired me when he was banging the goals in ! You seem to only be judging him once the goals dried up for some reason BP ? Not that I think he will sign but he’s exactly the player I’d be building my team around if he did. He will score goals in any team that is playing well imo. The team should be set up to give him maximum chances. He is , again imo the best striker we’ve had at the club in this league. 

1 minute ago, Flemboy said:

We lacked players shouting encouragement since Clarke went.Far too quiet a team.Could do with signing someone like Northamptons 5 and 6 who were superb against our timid strikers.

Still baffles me why we thought loaning out probably our only real leader whilst still in a relegation battle was a good idea.

Still, at least it allowed us to bring players like Benyu and Pringle in.

8 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Still baffles me why we thought loaning out probably our only real leader whilst still in a relegation battle was a good idea.

Our only leader whose legs had gone and was warming the bench at best, despite being one of our highest earners. 

The loaning of Clarke wasn't the problem, not adequately replacing him was. Gerrard did OK but his legs aren't far off going themselves. Ditto Wilson. 

10 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

As shite as Pringle has been its not fair to bash for that one. We all thought it was a top drawer signing. No way anyone could have known he’d have flopped so badly. Only with hindsight was it a bad signing. There’s plenty of other material to bash RW over tho. Believe me I have already. 

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Our only leader whose legs had gone and was warming the bench at best, despite being one of our highest earners. 

The loaning of Clarke wasn't the problem, not adequately replacing him was. Gerrard did OK but his legs aren't far off going themselves. Ditto Wilson. 

He didn’t need to be on the pitch to be a leader.

8 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Yes, I'd rather have a  natural leader who got vital tackles in .I'd still have him in the squad.

As for Pingu and the ginger winger are concerned I could add several other names as timid, useless,wimps who looked to be dreaming about their summer holidays  rather than contributing  to our pathetic relegation powder puff surrender.

Wellens’problem and it showed on Saturday is that he never had one player on the pitch that was a leader. Someone that he could trust to calm things down when we were under pressure. Someone that would have a word with players on the pitch to get their heads up or to make the right decisions. (Moimbe -Blackburn and Gillingham)

Sadly the one player we had that could do that played the rest of the season at Bury. People say Clarke has passed it. Wellens said himself after Saturday that sometimes the players that you need at this level are players that are maybe not the best but have the heart to put in a shift. 

After we scored the first goal at Northampton it needed someone to calm things down but we just panicked and made a mess of it. Sadly that’s been the case since December.

Think about all the times when defending attacks or corners how poor we’ve been at clearing our lines and then gone on to concede a stupid goal. Clarke wouldn’t have let that happen. 

5 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

He didn’t need to be on the pitch to be a leader.

True but I don't know many sides at our level who would keep a high-earning player who isn't good enough to start. If Clarke was on less wages he might have been kept around the squad. We simply couldn't afford to carry him for his leadership skills alone. 

Clarke is very fit for his age and played all last season and both him and Ripley kept us up.Class leadership comes at a price .

He was also proud to wear the shirt and the fans appreciated his efforts.Well most do.A natural captain and would love to see him back and passing on his experience to our younger talented defenders.

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

True but I don't know many sides at our level who would keep a high-earning player who isn't good enough to start. If Clarke was on less wages he might have been kept around the squad. We simply couldn't afford to carry him for his leadership skills alone. 

When the pitches turned shit he may well of been good enough to start, he arguably showed his best form at the back end of last season when the going got tough and you have to say with hindsight we'd of been better with than without,  strangely we only lost one of our last nine but managed seven draws in that time against some mediocre opponents,  you have to say with Clarkes influence we could of turned one of the draws into a win, he was also good for a goal from time to time and was an asset at set pieces.

I personally would of got rid of Gerrard in January but suspect nobody was prepared to take him and thats why Clarke was sacrificed. 

10 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Sending Clarke back sealed our fate as far as l am concerned  

10 hours ago, lookersman said:

Sending Clarke back sealed our fate as far as l am concerned  

And if the flare throwers had kept them in there pockets,there wouldnt have been 5 minuets injury time for cobblers 2nd.

All if buts n maybes:huh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cmr said:

And if the flare throwers had kept them in there pockets,there wouldnt have been 5 minuets injury time for cobblers 2nd.

All if buts n maybes:huh:

Hundreds of ifs and buts over a season.

• Like 1