If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The problem is he wont change his ideas, sticking with a disjointed system that's not working.

Byrne is the kind of player we should be building our team around and creating the space for him to use the ball. But instead, Wellens’ sends out a team that forces him to go deep to recieve the ball or he gets played left or right and gets dragged out. It doesn’t work...

I’d go with:

Placide

Hamer Edmundson Wilson

Hunt       Gardner.        Fane.          Moimbe

Byrne

Davies Doyle

Just now, BP1960 said:

No one mentions Paul Terry's role in all this, the team organisation looks  non existent.

I think no mentions it, because we forget he’s there. 

Which says it all. 

LJ was struggling in his first full season, until tommy wright came in. We then started to improve. Don’t think you can underestimate the importance of wise old head, when your starting out. 

I thought Shez lost the dressing room and I guess he had players sign behind him, but the team that lost at Rotherham was not miles different than the current one.

So maybe we didn't have the personnel that even Shez could work miracles with. If anything we are stronger on paper.

Rotheram (A)

Ruddy Edmundson Clarke Gerrard Nepo  Byrne Gardner Bryan McLaughlin Davies Obadeyi PLacide Dummingan Hunt Banks Fane Omrani Menig

Southend (H)

Placide Edmundson Wilson Hunt Haymer Gardner Byrne Fane Nazon Doyle De La Paz Pringle Nepo Obadeyi Holloway Benteke  injured Gerrard McLuaghlin Still around Omrani Davies

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Who's idea would  it be then?

Really? ... maybe the guy who owns the club for one! .. I'm beginning to think that his influence is more than just writing cheques - only a thought, but very little has changed since our purple patch before Xmas. 

2 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

Really? ... maybe the guy who owns the club for one! .. I'm beginning to think that his influence is more than just writing cheques - only a thought, but very little has changed since our purple patch before Xmas. 

Facepalm.

1 hour ago, philliggi said:

Every team needs a fane. A grafter. A ball winner. Someone a bit different.

But you don't build a team round him

Teams need a grafter and ball winner in midfield. But they done need a Fane. He can’t kick a football. They need someone who grafts, wins the ball, and then can actually pass it or maybe even shoot when the opportunity arises.

Need wide midfield players who can cover back and attack, not forwards only interested when the ball has been won back. The team Wellens keeps picking is too open when they don’t have the ball and his answer seems to be to become more open. At the moment he seems too naive although the recruitment policy seems pretty suspect - a shed load of attacking players and hardly any defensive options (yes I know there are injuries but every team has them).

oh hum - onwards and downwards!

Wellens is tactically shocking. Plays the same under performing lads every week. He slated Sheridan when he got sacked for playing the same players who didn’t put a shift in and now what does he do? Exactly that. Byrne playing right wing last night it clearly isn’t working as it hasn’t for months so what does he do? Move him to the left wing. 

Said it on saturday after Wimbledon should have sacked him then and give someone else the opportunity to get some passion out of the players. 

4 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Wellens is tactically shocking. Plays the same under performing lads every week. He slated Sheridan when he got sacked for playing the same players who didn’t put a shift in and now what does he do? Exactly that. Byrne playing right wing last night it clearly isn’t working as it hasn’t for months so what does he do? Move him to the left wing. 

Said it on saturday after Wimbledon should have sacked him then and give someone else the opportunity to get some passion out of the players. 

Who would you have brought in as manager?

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why appoint him then? 

‘Have a go, you’ll probably be shit’ 

Great stuff. 

Well he got the job off the back of an excellent spell as caretaker, there weren't many dissenting voices at the time.

1 hour ago, steveecky said:

Need wide midfield players who can cover back and attack, not forwards only interested when the ball has been won back. The team Wellens keeps picking is too open when they don’t have the ball and his answer seems to be to become more open. At the moment he seems too naive although the recruitment policy seems pretty suspect - a shed load of attacking players and hardly any defensive options (yes I know there are injuries but every team has them).

oh hum - onwards and downwards!

How many players in the squad never get a look in? 

Why were they signed if not deemed good enough?

Have we a clique dressing room which is affecting morale I wonder?

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well he got the job off the back of an excellent spell as caretaker, there weren't many dissenting voices at the time.

The team seemed to deteriorate the same time as the pitch.

Until there is proper investment on the pitch, and off it in terms of training facilities and a pitch befitting a professional football club, we're always going to be knocking around the bottom end of this division or worse. No wonder we have so many injuries with the state of our pitch and training ground.

Wellens has his shortcomings, but he's lost his first choice back 4.  And the midfield hasn't had a proper leader/organiser in it all season - one of the main reasons for our position in my opinion.  And now the strikers are back to spuffing away chance after chance.

Looking very likely we'll go down, so should he stay?  I don't have a crystal ball so don't know if it'd work with him staying or not.  I'd be inclined to give him a go as I have no idea who would come in and replace him.  Not sure any of Abdallah's foreign contacts would be suited to league 2, the fate of Leyton Orient scares me.  However, if we go down and he gets rid of Wellens but brings in a proven winner in English football then great.

Sometimes sticking with your manager, giving him support and backing on and off the pitch does work.  Take Ferguson at Doncaster. Took over with them just outside the relegation places, by new year had them 11th (new manager bounce), then from then onwards they won 2, drew 6 and lost 13.  12 points from last 21 games and were relegated.  Stuck with him and came straight back up. Would Wellens do the same?  No idea. He has shown promise, but as soon as the weather and pitches went to shit he's not been able to adapt.  But the situation with Doncaster recently shows what can be done with continuity and if you believe in your manager and are willing to back him.

But unless there is investment on and off the pitch then there's no chance of any manager doing it. Doesn't even have to be major investment, just something suitable for the level we're at or want to be. What we have now is a disgrace and a legacy of the TTA/Corney era.

Edited by nzlatic

30 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Until there is proper investment on the pitch, and off it in terms of training facilities and a pitch befitting a professional football club, we're always going to be knocking around the bottom end of this division or worse. No wonder we have so many injuries with the state of our pitch and training ground.

Wellens has his shortcomings, but he's lost his first choice back 4.  And the midfield hasn't had a proper leader/organiser in it all season - one of the main reasons for our position in my opinion.  And now the strikers are back to spuffing away chance after chance.

Looking very likely we'll go down, so should he stay?  I don't have a crystal ball so don't know if it'd work with him staying or not.  I'd be inclined to give him a go as I have no idea who would come in and replace him.  Not sure any of Abdallah's foreign contacts would be suited to league 2, the fate of Leyton Orient scares me.  However, if we go down and he gets rid of Wellens but brings in a proven winner in English football then great.

Sometimes sticking with your manager, giving him support and backing on and off the pitch does work.  Take Ferguson at Doncaster. Took over with them just outside the relegation places, by new year had them 11th (new manager bounce), then from then onwards they won 2, drew 6 and lost 13.  12 points from last 21 games and were relegated.  Stuck with him and came straight back up. Would Wellens do the same?  No idea. He has shown promise, but as soon as the weather and pitches went to shit he's not been able to adapt.  But the situation with Doncaster recently shows what can be done with continuity and if you believe in your manager and are willing to back him.

But unless there is investment on and off the pitch then there's no chance of any manager doing it. Doesn't even have to be major investment, just something suitable for the level we're at or want to be. What we have now is a disgrace and a legacy of the TTA/Corney era.

Great post - still think RW has had the shitty end of the stick his season.

Of course he's made mistakes but protracted takeover, embargo, injuries etc have all contributed to our downfall.

Who would have thought that Doyle would be missing so many chances in matches we've drawn recently?

Still a chance if we can win on Saturday but fear confidence will now be shot to pieces!

Everything crossed for Saturday's last chance saloon!

(Which isn't the name of our fan's bar ?).

Edited by mick26

Thinks it may have been said but id be amazed if Wellen's is in charge next season in lg1 or lg2.  No matter what your thoughts on what he has or hasn't had at his disposal this season I personally feel it will be harsh to get rid but AL will bring in someone new I feel. Mike Phelan was apparently spotted at BP last week, will he be an assistant to a new man in charge or will League 2 not be the 'right time' again?

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Eaxactly. 

So, from our excellent start it was a surprise to see our form drop away so quickly. . 

I trust your not just picking the opposite side of the arguement each time?  ?

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Eaxactly. 

So, from our excellent start it was a surprise to see our form drop away so quickly. . 

I trust your not just picking the opposite side of the arguement each time?  ?

Welcome to OWTB. Eyresy is well known for that tactic. But I like him. He’s cool ?