If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, steveecky said:

Need wide midfield players who can cover back and attack, not forwards only interested when the ball has been won back. The team Wellens keeps picking is too open when they don’t have the ball and his answer seems to be to become more open. At the moment he seems too naive although the recruitment policy seems pretty suspect - a shed load of attacking players and hardly any defensive options (yes I know there are injuries but every team has them).

oh hum - onwards and downwards!

Spot on.

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Eaxactly. 

So, from our excellent start it was a surprise to see our form drop away so quickly. . 

I trust your not just picking the opposite side of the arguement each time?  ?

There always a strong likelihood of that form not being replicated through the whole season and a strong likelihood that an inexperienced manager may struggle to arrest such a slide.

Another set stats

We have the second worst record at the next goal allowing us to go further behind.

31 goals conceded saw us go further behind. Not sure if that points to resilience, heads dropping or lack of concentration. Probably a mixture of all 3.

We also have been leading for the 2nd lowest to Bury, only 14 mins per game on average

Joint 2nd worst almost 30 mins per match trailing, on average.

The stat which we are worst by a long way though, is difference between goals scored and goals conceded in first 20 mins. scored 6 conceded 22.

We just are not set up right at the start of the match.

Edited by singe

10 hours ago, dave_ragg1984 said:

Teams need a grafter and ball winner in midfield. But they done need a Fane. He can’t kick a football. They need someone who grafts, wins the ball, and then can actually pass it or maybe even shoot when the opportunity arises.

Gardner did just that after Fane was subbed.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner did just that after Fane was subbed.

Gardner became ball winner? You having a laugh. Up their as one of the biggest shithouses in this awful team. 

Gardner got relegated with chesterfield and that is the standard we are at.

Dont think I have ever felt so confident on relegation when our players aren’t even willing to change for a 50/50. Byrne jumped out of the way every time one came to him last night. No wonder the crowd were on their backs. 

Edited by adamoafc

1 minute ago, adamoafc said:

Gardner became ball winner? You having a laugh. Up their as one of the biggest shithouses in this awful team. 

Gardner got relegated with chesterfield and that is the standard we are at. 

One player doesn't get a team relegated and it's common consensus he's been the best midfielder during the slump and put a full shift in - unlike some others.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

One player doesn't get a team relegated and it's common consensus he's been the best midfielder during the slump and put a full shift in - unlike some others.

Running around a lot doesn’t mean you put a shift in. Delivery and final ball from him is so poor. 

Just now, adamoafc said:

Running around a lot doesn’t mean you put a shift in. Delivery and final ball from him is so poor. 

It does.... but can still be shit and put a shift in. I can put a shift in!

41 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

There's been a culture of losing and expecting defeat for many years now similar to the one that has taken hold at Sunderland. In that respect, the last thing I'm in favour of is continuity.

This. Some people on here find it an outrage for our fans to have expectations of anything other than the relegation zone. Gets really tiresome when folks are trying to defend shire performances with weird excuses.

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

I think we need to see past the idea that Wellens worked some magic during his good spell. We had already started scoring goals, he tried Johnny because the other two were shockingly bad, and Gerrard who was also clearly shit. We then conceded a few less than we scored. Byrne and Doyle were on fire, which you couldn't expect to carry on forever.

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I want to hear from the 29 people that voted yes. 

What are your reasons and why? 

Must not base argument on 5 games in October. 

I voted yes. 

In our good patches this season he's shown more than many managers we've had and the football was good.

I like him.

I think the continuity keeping him would offer isn't to be sniffed at - he knows the pro's and con's of whichever players are still here in August.

I'd like to think he could sign some decent players while his contacts are still what they are not long after him finishing playing. (This might be more the case in League One than League Two though)

I've got a gut feeling he'll come good as a manager and I'd like it to be with us rather than someone else. 

4 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I think we need to see past the idea that Wellens worked some magic during his good spell. We had already started scoring goals, he tried Johnny because the other two were shockingly bad, and Gerrard who was also clearly shit. We then conceded a few less than we scored. Byrne and Doyle were on fire, which you couldn't expect to carry on forever.

This. We scored 10 in JS’s last 5 games. 3 of those games were against sides currently in the top 5.