If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Stanley30

I'd back him, to quick to sack on here and look where it's got us. Fortunately we're Oldham so can't get relegated, However we just haven't progressed yet. Need to give him a summer to get his team together 

8 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Wellens also seems to think Byrne is a wide midfielder. I’m leaning towards JSS on this one BP. I don’t think he’s good enough. Tbf I can’t fault his effort in closing down etc, just think he lacks any real quality. When was the last time he had a decent shot in a match too ? I’d be looking to get rid. 

Gardner scored 17 goals in 51 appearances at Halifax, albeit non league, which suggests to me he played much further up the field than here where he's having to chase back to cover for other players.

He's not going to score many goals from his own penalty area is he?

I'd be using him as a purely attacking midfielder, then you'd see what he's capable of.

IMO he's been the one player giving everything in a relegation dogfight while others have been idling and ball watching.

I would ask JSS if Latics go down and Byrne has a relegation on his CV is he too a non league player.

I might be wrong, but hasnt he been with clubs who have been relegated in the past?

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner scored 17 goals in 51 appearances at Halifax, albeit non league, which suggests to me he played much further up the field than here where he's having to chase back to cover for other players.

He's not going to score many goals from his own penalty area is he?

I'd be using him as a purely attacking midfielder, then you'd see what he's capable of.

IMO he's been the one player giving everything in a relegation dogfight while others have been idling and ball watching.

I would ask JSS if Latics go down and Byrne has a relegation on his CV is he too a non league player.

I might be wrong, but hasnt he been with clubs who have been relegated in the past?

I'm not saying he's a non league player because he's going to be relegated twice. He's a non league player because he's too shit to play league football. 

I don't care how many goals he scored in non league. Most of what he hits ends up off target or pea rolling at the goalkeeper. And that's when he's managed a shot, rather than losing the ball by dicking around with it or, as he is prone to do, just straight up running it out of play.

Edited by jsslatic

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

I'm not saying he's a non league player because he's going to be relegated twice. He's a non league player because he's too shit to play league football. 

I don't care how many goals he scored in non league. Most of what he hits ends up off target or pea rolling at the goalkeeper. And that's when he's managed a shot, rather than losing the ball by dicking around with it or, as he is prone to do, just straight up running it out of play.

Fane isn’t fit to lace Gardner’s boots. What standard do you suggest fane is if Gardner is non-league ? 

Imagine playing centre midfield and knowing your the only the only player who can pass the football. Your partner is a marathon runner and he’s not an option when you have the ball. This making the payer of play very very predictable. I bet Gardner is fumming, not only does he have to do all the running he has to do all the passing. He has to drive the ball forward. (Fane does this with no end product so does not count yet people get all happy about it) Gardner is a good player, he’s inconsistent sometimes like all players in league 1 but he’s the least of our problems. 

Edited by LightDN123

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, Fane has attributes that a lot of clubs like, energy, able to cover a lot of ground, wins the ball, still young.

Gardner is a bog standard bit and pieces midfielder, every L1/2 has one.

He can’t kick the bloody ball, in summer we had agreed he was going to league 2 Barnet on a free when he had a contract with us. The only reason he stayed was he said no to moving. How do you suggest he would go for “more money” if we where going to let him go for free whilst still contracted with us 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

He can’t kick the bloody ball, in summer we had agreed he was going to league 2 Barnet on a free when he had a contract with us. The only reason he stayed was he said no to moving. How do you suggest he would go for “more money” if we where going to let him go for free whilst still contracted with us 

If they were both contracted for the same length of time then Fane would attract the larger transfer fee.

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If they were both contracted for the same length of time then Fane would attract the larger transfer fee.

Fane can’t control the ball, pass the ball or run with ball

in League 2 he won’t be able to control the ball, pass the ball or run with the ball

in the National League he still won’t be able to control the ball, pass the ball or run with the ball

if someone will pay us money for him then we should bite their entire arm off !

44 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fane isn’t fit to lace Gardner’s boots. What standard do you suggest fane is if Gardner is non-league ? 

Imagine playing centre midfield and knowing your the only the only player who can pass the football. Your partner is a marathon runner and he’s not an option when you have the ball. This making the payer of play very very predictable. I bet Gardner is fumming, not only does he have to do all the running he has to do all the passing. He has to drive the ball forward. (Fane does this with no end product so does not count yet people get all happy about it) Gardner is a good player, he’s inconsistent sometimes like all players in league 1 but he’s the least of our problems. 

I haven't mentioned Fane at all. Whether Gardner thinks Fane is shit or not is irrelevant to the fact that he isn't good enough himself.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If they were both on the market now I guarantee Fane would go for more money.

Although I think Fane is a runner disguised as a footballer I think Deyres42 has a point here. Fane has more attributes managers look for than Gardner. We signed Gardner on a free but had to pay £50k for Fane. 

It's a sign of the culture in English football and that culture is why we've not done much internationally in 28 years. 

In terms of having some commitment to working for the team and trying to keep Latics up, there is an easy pecking order....

1. Gardner - Grafts hard with a degree of skill

2. Fane- grafts hard but lacking the required skill

3. Bucket loads of skill but no commitment to the team....spends his energy whingeing at team mates....very sad and frustrating!!

Best outcome....they all pretend their team mates committed to the team for the next two games....please!!?

5 hours ago, jsslatic said:

you are being way too harsh on him. as its been pointed out he's been playing in a midfield 2 with fane who has the least amount of footballing talent ive ever seen from a pro. gardner, although no world beater is a decent mid for league 1, his passing at times is wayward but he works hard, picks up a fair amount of loose balls and does drive forward well with the ball. he's a step up from banks for sure and in last few games been one of the better performers.