League 2 activity

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Agree that the points per game calculation is silly. Macc got 36 points from 37 games, so could reasonably have expected to get another 9 if the season had finished. Any points deduction should then have been applied AFTER that before calculating points per game. Otherwise the points deduction is in effect higher than it should've been. 

As it happens, the extra four points they were deducted today means they would (just) have been relegated anyway, I think. Pretty convenient for the EFL, that... 

Doesn't feel right that a team winning three games all season gets to stay up, to me. 

There's clearly an agenda. Macc have been very harshly dealt with. Sheff Wednesday are allowed to avoid relegation by having the points deduction applied next season. As has been said, we all know it wouldn't have been applied to Bolton. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, latics22 said:

Would they have done that to bolton 🤦‍♂️

Probably not. But they dropped the ball with regards to Bury and lack of oversight. So they were bound to make an example of the next financially unstable club. As a warning to all the other chancer owners in the efl.

6 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

There's clearly an agenda. Macc have been very harshly dealt with. Sheff Wednesday are allowed to avoid relegation by having the points deduction applied next season. As has been said, we all know it wouldn't have been applied to Bolton. 

I do wonder if the Sheffield Wednesday one is more about Derby's deduction. If you do Wednesday this year you have to do the same with Derby and they get away with no penalty in reality. This punishment gives them both a fair chance of being relegated (though has the end result of Wednesday not being immediately relegated as punishment).

No consolation to Charlton like.

• 3 weeks later...

Scunthorpe know a good striker. This guy would have been just what we need.

Ryan Loft: Scunthorpe United sign former Leicester City forward

Also - I think that Carlisle have picked up a good ‘un with this lad:

Gime Toure: Carlisle United sign former Hartlepool midfielder on one-year deal

4 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The Government shouldn't demand Prem. clubs help out, they should pass a law instructing them.

Why? There's no law compelling Tesco to help out the corner shop. PL clubs are competing with European clubs, can't see why they should be disadvantaged in doing so. 

14 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Impossible to do. 

Why? The Government can pass any law it likes. I agree it may be a bit much, but the PL needs bringing down to earth. One way to do it would be a tax on transfer fees, both buying and selling.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Why? There's no law compelling Tesco to help out the corner shop. PL clubs are competing with European clubs, can't see why they should be disadvantaged in doing so. 

I'm now picturing Latics as tatty corner shop in a shitty part of town!

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Tesco compete in a league of 6 clubs though constantly trying to put their competitors out of business/acquire them, in an attempt to amass patrons to ‘support’ them from all 4 corners of the UK. Sport shouldn’t operate to the same free market economics IMO. The League/FA/governing body should regulate income to support greater competition for all, appreciating the social benefit of ‘companies’ / clubs serving their communities. The older/wiser I get, the more I respect the NFL model.

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Tesco compete in a league of 6 clubs though constantly trying to put their competitors out of business/acquire them, in an attempt to amass patrons to ‘support’ them from all 4 corners of the UK. Sport shouldn’t operate to the same free market economics IMO. The League/FA/governing body should regulate income to support greater competition for all, appreciating the social benefit of ‘companies’ / clubs serving their communities. The older/wiser I get, the more I respect the NFL model.

I'm really not sure there is much mileage in comparing the supermarket sector with professional football, but as far as I recall it was Sainsbury that tried to acquire Asda, and apart from buying Booker, a cash and carry operator, I can't think of any other major UK acquisitions by Tesco in recent years. As for trying to put their competitors out of business, I'd say Tesco compete on price with the other supermarket giants, which is as it should be. Maybe AL could learn from that example, at least, when it comes to setting prices at the turnstile and on season tickets.

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

As I know nothing about the NFL, can someone (briefly) explain their model?

Archived