League 2 activity

45 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

As I know nothing about the NFL, can someone (briefly) explain their model?

We’ll briefly, there’s a salary cap, same for all 32 teams and the teams get to pick the best college talent based on the previous years performance. Worst team gets 1st pick and Super Bowl winners get 32nd pick for 7 rounds of picks. Obviously the pick system doesn’t work here given we don’t follow the US model of college sport leading to professional sport but it’s undeniable that it levels the playing field to make all teams competitive in time.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UsedtobeWozzer said:

We’ll briefly, there’s a salary cap, same for all 32 teams and the teams get to pick the best college talent based on the previous years performance. Worst team gets 1st pick and Super Bowl winners get 32nd pick for 7 rounds of picks. Obviously the pick system doesn’t work here given we don’t follow the US model of college sport leading to professional sport but it’s undeniable that it levels the playing field to make all teams competitive in time.

Sorry, as an addendum, this should read all teams apart from the Cleveland Browns who are almost as dysfunctional as us. 

8 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'm really not sure there is much mileage in comparing the supermarket sector with professional football, but as far as I recall it was Sainsbury that tried to acquire Asda, and apart from buying Booker, a cash and carry operator, I can't think of any other major UK acquisitions by Tesco in recent years. As for trying to put their competitors out of business, I'd say Tesco compete on price with the other supermarket giants, which is as it should be. Maybe AL could learn from that example, at least, when it comes to setting prices at the turnstile and on season tickets.

Booker own; Budgens, Premier, Londis & Family Shopper.... Tesco also own One-Stop. So, apart from buying/owing 5 smaller clubs in the lower leagues, they don’t buy anyone....

Morrison’s bought Safeway.

Somerfiled bought Kwik Save.

Co-Op bought Somerfield.

Sainsbury’s bought Argos.

....I won’t go on....

7 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

The corollary of that is no relegation and zero international competition 

49 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Booker own; Budgens, Premier, Londis & Family Shopper.... Tesco also own One-Stop. So, apart from buying/owing 5 smaller clubs in the lower leagues, they don’t buy anyone....

Morrison’s bought Safeway.

Somerfiled bought Kwik Save.

Co-Op bought Somerfield.

Sainsbury’s bought Argos.

....I won’t go on....

Not sure why you'd single out Tesco as a particularly predatory outfit then. 5 or 6 large supermarkets competing on price to the benefit of the end consumer (if not always the supplier, but that's life). Zero relevance to professional football. We don't need heavy-handed regulation by the likes of the EFL and FA, though the fit and proper ownership test is a joke. We need well-run clubs operating within their means, of which there are numerous examples in the EFL and even Premiership. AL and ML are currently a long way from such model ownership and regrettably I don't see why Premiership teams should be told to help subsidise the Chuckle Brothers' ineptitude.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Not sure why you'd single out Tesco as a particularly predatory outfit then. 5 or 6 large supermarkets competing on price to the benefit of the end consumer (if not always the supplier, but that's life). Zero relevance to professional football. We don't need heavy-handed regulation by the likes of the EFL and FA, though the fit and proper ownership test is a joke. We need well-run clubs operating within their means, of which there are numerous examples in the EFL and even Premiership. AL and ML are currently a long way from such model ownership and regrettably I don't see why Premiership teams should be told to help subsidise the Chuckle Brothers' ineptitude.

I didn’t.... Dave did.... and so I responded in kind...

....but.... it’s a fact that they own 5 smaller ‘corner shop’ brands that operate in their market, which means they are better able to control the market for their own benefit / acquire more customers to the detriment of their wider competitive set & the suppliers that are reliant on them. I don’t think sport should operate to the same free market economic model, which it clearly does.

12 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'm really not sure there is much mileage in comparing the supermarket sector with professional football, but as far as I recall it was Sainsbury that tried to acquire Asda, and apart from buying Booker, a cash and carry operator, I can't think of any other major UK acquisitions by Tesco in recent years. As for trying to put their competitors out of business, I'd say Tesco compete on price with the other supermarket giants, which is as it should be. Maybe AL could learn from that example, at least, when it comes to setting prices at the turnstile and on season tickets.

Sainsbury and Asda was a merger that was blocked due to anti competition.

As you say Tesco bought Booker but that’s it.

Asda bought Netto

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Wait till the Americans latch on to t2o cricket, far more exciting then baseball.

Nearly all American sport is boring. I just don't get why they flock to it in huge numbers. American football, Baseball and Basketball. I'd rather watch paint dry.

30 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Nearly all American sport is boring. I just don't get why they flock to it in huge numbers. American football, Baseball and Basketball. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Eating and drinking all day whilst watching sport, what's not to like. 

20 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Eating and drinking all day whilst watching sport, what's not to like. 

I recall going to my one and only baseball game watching the Mets. Oddly they were Simon Corney's season tickets. 

The place was packed and I remember thinking none of the Americans were actually watching the game, rather eating and drinking all night. The amount of food packaging on the ground by the end of the night had to be seen to believed. 

Why does every single thread veer off and morph into something totally unrelated that has been covered in thirty five other threads already; so much so that you have no idea what the original question was?

Back on topic, it was tie a yellow ribbon followed by chicken tikka massala

• 2 weeks later...

Archived