Squad movements, summer 2018

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd be happy enough with both Clarke and Gerrard in the squad for next season, they'd be good players in League Two alongside one of the younger players.  But I wouldn't play the two of them together and I suspect that neither would be happy on the bench regularly, so I expect one to leave.

For the situation we're in I'd keep Clarke over Gerrard, Clarke might only have a year left playing and Gerrard a few more, but he seems to be much more of a professional and a very good captain and influence on the squad.  With Hamer, Edmundson and Stott hopefully getting more game time next season I think Clarke would be the perfect player to guide them through games.  I have no problem with Gerrard though and after watching the standard of League Two centre backs over the last few years I know that we could do a lot worse.

We could always get rid of our "expert" defensive coach and promote Clarke to player/coach.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Or Gerrard. But not both as they cant coach together.

Would take Clarke over Gerrard from a coaching perspective as he displays a calmer, more professional attitude in my opinion. Think he could be useful to step in when injuries dictate. However whoever it is he'll have his hands full and should really earn his money. 

18 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Keep them both. Gerrard as a player, Clarke as a coach/manager for when we sack Wellens in October with 9 points from 15 games. 

Oh, aye.......you can just see pre-season training with Clarke in charge....."Right Gerrard, you fat git, you need to lose 4 stone and be able to run up Tandle Hill and back shouting Hiyo Silver and Curahee. Oh, and the new chairman has ordered a new kit that's one size, fits all APART FROM YOU".  

On 5/8/2018 at 1:25 PM, singe said:

On paper that squad should not struggle in League 2. The reality is probably different, which is frustrating.

Strange isn't it. After the farce of the last couple of close seasons you'd think that line up would have us in a better place. I'm not really there. Lincoln and Carlisle should serve as warning it won't be a cake walk.

I'm good with the youngsters in defense.  If we could bring 2 or 3 young ones on each year , keep some and sell one each season having enjoyed watching them develop  for £1mill we'd be on our way. 

Don't think Placide is good enough - shots saved vs goals conceded isn't great. Sometimes it felt like 'they shoot they score' even if it was on the follow up

Midfield needs work. Defense all too often exposed. The youngsters can work hard  but eventually someone gets a shot off.

Not sure if it was in this thread or elsewhere- but I like the idea of two wide players- protect the back four, and give lots of width on the attack. Milligan and Henry weren't the most talented we've ever had but once they got the ball all they had to do was knock it ten yards sideways and there'd be a winger of a marauding fullback to take it up the field.

Don't see enough goals in the retained strikers even with enough wide players.

On the plus side- goal keeper, 2 wing backs (maybe Nepo and McL?) and a target man and we are almost there?

Even with the seven that have gone, it's still a pretty big squad; 22 if the offers are all accepted. You've got to think that one or two more will leave, either through mutual termination of contract or (stop laughing) we get some offers coming in.

Surely we need to shift another half a dozen to make way for new faces. I'd let Maouche and Gerrard go, plus (provided we get some half decent dosh for them, I told you to stop laughing) Kyeremeh and McLaughlin (fitness issues?) and probably Byrne as I can't see him wanting to pay in League 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Hunt went; other clubs were sniffing around him a while ago. 

As far as the keeper situation goes, we know sod all about De La Paz; he could be ok. And unless we've got a cast iron replacement lined up, I wouldn't let Placide go. Remember how everyone thought he was the dog's bollocks not that long ago? No reason why he can't find better than decent League 2 form.

Then, of course, it all hinges on who we can bring in.

• Like 1

McLaughlin is out of contract so we won't get a penny for him. Kyeremeh barely played so nobody will offer money for an unknown with a season of injuries.

I'd let Maouche and Gerrard go too, but that depends on someone wanting them and their undoubtedly non-trivial wages. I'd also let Davies, Amadi-Holloway and maybe even Clarke and Placide go, but again it's all academic unless somebody wants them. Paying up contracts wouldn't be cheap. 

I'm exciting a few youth players to sign pro deals too. Maybe they'll go out on loan, maybe they'll get more of a chance with us in League Two.

Edited by Crusoe

12 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Surely we need to shift another half a dozen to make way for new faces. I'd let Maouche and Gerrard go, plus (provided we get some half decent dosh for them, I told you to stop laughing) Kyeremeh and McLaughlin (fitness issues?) and probably Byrne as I can't see him wanting to pay in League 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Hunt went; other clubs were sniffing around him a while ago. 

Why is it that folks think we can just let players go when they are on extended contracts? Gerrard Byrne and Maoche all contracted so you can only  go by transferring them or paying up their contract. It doesn't matter if Byrne wants to play in Lge 2 he is contracted to the club. Unless some other club wants them we are stuck with them.

Cannot understand why McLaughlin was offered contract-is he this seasons Paul Green?

I have no problem with youth players coming through if there good enough, but I remember the mcnivens and tipson plus many many more that weren’t good enough. It’s too early to say the current crop will make it.

Edited by latics22

Reckon he's been offered reduced terms or a rolling deal, just in case he can stay fit and recover some of that early promise. I doubt he'll sign though.

Edit: on the subject of McLaughlin.

Edited by Crusoe

Just now, latics22 said:

I have no problem with youth players coming through if there good enough, but I remember the mcnivens and tipson plus many many more that weren’t god enough. It’s too early to say the current crop will make it.

Agreed. The youth players actually have to be good enough. Although I always thought Scott McNiven got a bit of a raw deal, he was solid and unspectacular but better than other full backs with bigger reputations (hello, Michael Clegg!). Played a hell of a lot of games but suffered from lack of competition.

25 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Even with the seven that have gone, it's still a pretty big squad; 22 if the offers are all accepted. You've got to think that one or two more will leave, either through mutual termination of contract or (stop laughing) we get some offers coming in.

As far as the keeper situation goes, we know sod all about De La Paz; he could be ok. And unless we've got a cast iron replacement lined up, I wouldn't let Placide go. Remember how everyone thought he was the dog's bollocks not that long ago? No reason why he can't find better than decent League 2 form.

Then, of course, it all hinges on who we can bring in.

Bobby Johnstone played in Division 4 and Byrne is light years from his class.

He needs to knuckle down and show far more than he has done so far. 

8 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I have no problem with youth players coming through if there good enough, but I remember the mcnivens and tipson plus many many more that weren’t good enough. It’s too early to say the current crop will make it.

The McNivens and Tiptons showed more in Division One than some of this lot.

7 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Reckon he's been offered reduced terms or a rolling deal, just in case he can stay fit and recover some of that early promise. I doubt he'll sign though.

Hasn’t it been said somewhere that he’s under 24 so as long as we offer at least the same deal we would be entitled to a fee  if a club wants him ? This is the only reason to offer him a contract that makes sense to me anyway 

9 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

He’ll probably have been offered the same deal. He’s under 24 so we get compo if he signs for anyone else for free. 

10 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Think you mean Tipton and we got very good money for him.

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Hasn’t it been said somewhere that he’s under 24 so as long as we offer at least the same deal we would be entitled to a fee  if a club wants him ? This is the only reason to offer him a contract that makes sense to me anyway 

Yeah, reckon so. But I think he might be on a decent wedge so would we want to offer those wages hoping he stays fit enough to attract another club? And if it went to tribunal we'd get peanuts.

Edit: also a reply to Jorvik!

Edited by Crusoe

10 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Why is it that folks think we can just let players go when they are on extended contracts? Gerrard Byrne and Maoche all contracted so you can only  go by transferring them or paying up their contract. It doesn't matter if Byrne wants to play in Lge 2 he is contracted to the club. Unless some other club wants them we are stuck with them.

Cannot understand why McLaughlin was offered contract-is he this seasons Paul Green?

Depends on their contract though. Does Byrne have a relegation clause? Someone would take him on better than fourth division money. You'd hope Gerrard's deal is appearance based, might not be hard to move. I'm struggling with Maouche to be fair.

1 minute ago, Crusoe said:

Yeah, reckon so. But I think he might be on a decent wedge so would we want to offer those wages hoping he stays fit enough to attract another club? And if it went to tribunal we'd get peanuts.

I don’t think he’s necessarily on big bucks. Was he not just a Liverpool youngster with not much experience and coming off a long injury lay off when we signed him ?   I don’t want him here anyway I think he’s average at best. 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Hang on I know the McNivens were brothers but I only remember one Tipton ? 

Lol..a term used to include the Wolfendens, Barlow's, Allesandra's, Hotte's, and Sugden's, who played in a side who weren't relegated from Division One. 

Just now, BP1960 said:

Lol..a term used to include the Wolfendens, Barlow's, Allesandra's, Hotte's, and Sugden's, who played in a side who weren't relegated from Division One. 

THIS!

None of them were world-beaters, but they were good enough back then.

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Bobby Johnstone played in Division 4 and Byrne is light years from his class.

He needs to knuckle down and show far more than he has done so far. 

It was a different time BP

4 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I don’t think he’s necessarily on big bucks. Was he not just a Liverpool youngster with not much experience and coming off a long injury lay off when we signed him ?   I don’t want him here anyway I think he’s average at best. 

A Liverpool fan told me McLaughlin was highly rated there, I think we hoped he'd make a full recovery this season, but he's had several setbacks.

Maybe 3 months rest will do him good.

On song he does add the pace and crossing ability we need.