Transfer Rumours

11 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I based calling him proven on last season's promotion and the general response on twitter of bury fans who all seem to rate him.  So I might be being generous to the lad.

But there is also a broader point to make that it'd be pretty poor if we couldn't tempt any of Bury's promotion squad to stay local.

....have we really tried though? Like putting serious contracts in front of them..... or are serious contracts only reserved for players whose agents our owner(s) prefer....?

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....have we really tried though? Like putting serious contracts in front of them..... or are serious contracts only reserved for players whose agents our owner(s) prefer....?

As much as I'm sure they love Ryan Lowe I reckon a serious offer could have tempted at least one of them to not move hundreds of miles away.  So my guess would be no, we absolutely didn't give any of them a serious offer.

32 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

As much as I'm sure they love Ryan Lowe I reckon a serious offer could have tempted at least one of them to not move hundreds of miles away.  So my guess would be no, we absolutely didn't give any of them a serious offer.

Not always "black and white" and not always just about money.

Plymouth seems an ambitious and well run club in a nice part of the Country which has an impressive ground / facilities and a familiar manager who has achieved success.  On that basis, some people will be quite happy to relocate to the South coast even if we were to offer a lot more money.  Throw in the uncertainties about the owner and how the club is being run (true or not) and the decision is probably not a difficult one. 

11 minutes ago, Whitts said:

Not always "black and white" and not always just about money.

Plymouth seems an ambitious and well run club in a nice part of the Country which has an impressive ground / facilities and a familiar manager who has achieved success.  On that basis, some people will be quite happy to relocate to the South coast even if we were to offer a lot more money.  Throw in the uncertainties about the owner and how the club is being run (true or not) and the decision is probably not a difficult one. 

Completely agree.  If we were ambitious, well run, had impressive facilities, had a familiar/successful manager, and there weren't uncertainties about the owner or how club is being run then we would probably stand a better chance of signing players of that standard.

For me a serious offer isn't just cash, it's being able to offer all those things too.

49 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Completely agree.  If we were ambitious, well run, had impressive facilities, had a familiar/successful manager, and there weren't uncertainties about the owner or how club is being run then we would probably stand a better chance of signing players of that standard.

For me a serious offer isn't just cash, it's being able to offer all those things too.

Or just one would be a start.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, Handsy said:

Just shows what a shambolic reign  Corney had   But very shrewd by Brentford to do the deal with us if we had of had a 20% clause in the deal  it would of got us 3.2 million  in further payments on top of the initial fee 

On 7/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, Monty Burns said:

Corney is an absolute cunt. The sly, snake like, damage that him and his pals did to our club may never be recovered from.

The absolute nonsense that got spouted over these pages in defence of these actions by Simon Cancer. Many proven correct that we would miss out on a massive windfall ultimately.

It's kinda why, for now, (and even though I don't like some of his methods) I have time for AL to see if he can lead us to a better place. After the 10yrs before him of shit like the Tarky sale, I'm prepared to wait and see. And to get back on topic, to sign McFadzean would be another tidy signing of intent.

48 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

to sign McFadzean would be another tidy signing of intent.

I'd rather we signed someone who'd played higher up and more than just one other team in our league (managed by his most recent manager) was the only competition. 

Last season was his first and only good one so far and he looks to be staying in the same division. 

Further depressing evidence of how far we've fallen that people are giddy at the prospect of such a signing.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

So something we haven't been/had since about 2006 then 👍

8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd rather we signed someone who'd played higher up and more than just one other team in our league (managed by his most recent manager) was the only competition. 

Last season was his first and only good one so far and he looks to be staying in the same division. 

Further depressing evidence of how far we've fallen that people are giddy at the prospect of such a signing.

I'd rather sign someone in form and with a recent promotion to his name than a (for example) Chris O Grady from the higher leagues etc. Wouldn't say people were getting giddy...just happy to be linked with someone that has something about them that they can hopefully bring to the table. Although if reports are true, we will be missing out on McFadzean.

21 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

.....just happy to be linked with someone that has something about them that they can hopefully bring to the table......

.....I don't disagree with much of what you've posted above.... but this isn't right if we're not offering such players competitive contracts - that we do appear to offering players that don't have 'something about them'....? it smacks of giving off the impression we're in for said players, when we're not really.....

3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

.....I don't disagree with much of what you've posted above.... but this isn't right if we're not offering such players competitive contracts - that we do appear to offering players that don't have 'something about them'....? it smacks of giving off the impression we're in for said players, when we're not really.....

True. For example, I didn't buy the Zak Clough rumours. It isn't specific to Oldham Athletic tho. All clubs do it. Christ, the red scum down the road have a full XI they're signing in the summer only to get none and a few lesser alternatives instead.

Another reason why waiting and seeing what we do sign is a better way to be.

Just now, boundaryblue80 said:

True. For example, I didn't buy the Zak Clough rumours. It isn't specific to Oldham Athletic tho. All clubs do it. Christ, the red scum down the road have a full XI they're signing in the summer only to get none and a few lesser alternatives instead.

Another reason why waiting and seeing what we do sign is a better way to be.

Neither did I. Nor Maynard, nor Mayor.

Fair.....but we have seen Urko Vera & Mohamed Maouche before..... and they hardly set League Two alight in our lowest finish since 1970!

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Neither did I. Nor Maynard, nor Mayor.

Fair.....but we have seen Urko Vera & Mohamed Maouche before..... and they hardly set League Two alight in our lowest finish since 1970!

Don't think we can compare Maoche with Vera, Maoche can be excellent on his day.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

He's scored every single one of our pre-season goals so far yet The Emir of Agadir is getting all this disrespect......

Agree harry, and we have also kept 6 clean sheets.

17 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Don't think we can compare Maoche with Vera, Maoche can be excellent on his day.

And would be very hard for any player to set league two alight on the amount of game time Vera has had, even if he was an amazing player

19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

2 hours ago, boyinthesnow said:

And would be very hard for any player to set league two alight on the amount of game time Vera has had, even if he was an amazing player

Maouche on the other hand, has had plenty..... and "his day" is far-far too infrequent to be considered any great asset..... if he's our midfield general and captain/leader for the forthcoming season, we'll lose more than we win IMO.

Last year we won/lost the same number of games with the leadership of Clarke.

18 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Maouche on the other hand, has had plenty..... and "his day" is far-far too frequent to be considered any great asset..... if he's our midfield general and captain/leader for the forthcoming season, we'll lose more than we win IMO.

Yeah but barry owens official club stats say Clarke made 176 errors last season so we are going to have to let him go 🙄

1 hour ago, boyinthesnow said:

True, likewise if I'd started up front against Macc away I wouldn't have had enough time to set the league alight, because I'd never have been picked again 

The downside to these players we are making "offers" to being Leaked is that it sets a bar for the standard of player to expect and there is not much evidence the calibre of the players we sign will get anywhere near it.

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Maouche on the other hand, has had plenty..... and "his day" is far-far too infrequent to be considered any great asset..... if he's our midfield general and captain/leader for the forthcoming season, we'll lose more than we win IMO.

The added responsibility of being captain, may make Maouche a player who puts the effort in much more often. Let's hope it does.

Archived