Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that a lot of my fellow supporters like to make early judgement on our existing squad members, generally starting with the adjective " Shite ".  But for us somewhat older and more experienced supporters, unless you were around the club in the pre Bobby Johnstone, Bert Lister, and Jimmy Frizzell era, you really, really, don't know what a shite player looks like. Our highlight to the season was being re-elected to the league, having finished in the bottom four of the lowest division. ( mind you in those days, everyone tended to be re-elected ).

I'm not knocking you  -  just suggesting that you give the squad, and the on field staff ( the only ones we've got ) a chance  -  let's say ten games, and then make a slightly more informed judgement. You may very well be right, but there again they may, just may, surprise you.

I remember when we signed Garnett. Paid £150,000 for him. He wasn’t awful. Solid, unspectacular. Found his level. Or a later example who got slated by some at the time: David Beharall. Absolutely not the best defender we’ve had by a mile, but I thought he did the job. 

What concerns me now is the lack of similarly bang average, experienced, right-for-this-division players in this squad. I genuinely hope the owner’s plan of finding gems abroad works, because I want us to do well, but we need more than promise and hope. 

45 minutes ago, parigby said:

I know that a lot of my fellow supporters like to make early judgement on our existing squad members, generally starting with the adjective " Shite ".  But for us somewhat older and more experienced supporters, unless you were around the club in the pre Bobby Johnstone, Bert Lister, and Jimmy Frizzell era, you really, really, don't know what a shite player looks like. Our highlight to the season was being re-elected to the league, having finished in the bottom four of the lowest division. ( mind you in those days, everyone tended to be re-elected ).

I'm not knocking you  -  just suggesting that you give the squad, and the on field staff ( the only ones we've got ) a chance  -  let's say ten games, and then make a slightly more informed judgement. You may very well be right, but there again they may, just may, surprise you.

It's not just that they're probably going to be shite. "Shite" I can forgive to an extent if they're a honest, hardworking bunch that have got contracts through sheer bloody- mindedness..

There seems to be something a bit off about how these players have ended up here, and for that reason it's harder to give them the benefit of the doubt..

1 hour ago, parigby said:

I agree 100% and nobody could ever accuse me of being a pessimist where new players are concerned... but that no.9 last night looked shite... (cue 20 goal season 🤞) 😁

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It's not just that they're probably going to be shite. "Shite" I can forgive to an extent if they're a honest, hardworking bunch that have got contracts through sheer bloody- mindedness..

There seems to be something a bit off about how these players have ended up here, and for that reason it's harder to give them the benefit of the doubt..

Seems we've become the football equivalent of the French foreign legion but without the tough guys

This close season I’ve never read so many sightings in or around our ground, pre-season matches or training ground yet they disappear elsewhere.  

Our supposed super agent should be closing deals using his skill and experience.

Wheres this 100% increase on budget?  We’ve cut last season massively so our coffers must be swelling.  

Demonstrate signal of intent - Lang, Wheater, Lyden and a creative midfielder at very least.  Bring Baxter back on a performance related pay linked to fitness and win bonus.

30 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

This close season I’ve never read so many sightings in or around our ground, pre-season matches or training ground yet they disappear elsewhere.  

Our supposed super agent should be closing deals using his skill and experience.

Wheres this 100% increase on budget?  We’ve cut last season massively so our coffers must be swelling.  

Demonstrate signal of intent - Lang, Wheater, Lyden and a creative midfielder at very least.  Bring Baxter back on a performance related pay linked to fitness and win bonus.

The budget will be better, 100%.

Not an 100% increase.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Think he's got the transfer budget and the one for the Malmaison mixed up.

Yeah in fairness it would be a bit daft to bring in a foreign coach and then give him a load of British players to work with.

59 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yeah in fairness it would be a bit daft to bring in a foreign coach and then give him a load of British players to work with.

Really? Who coaches the British players he does have? 

Is this from the "Gerry Taggart was a defender so must only coach, and is solely responsible for, the defence" envelope? 

44 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Really? Who coaches the British players he does have? 

Is this from the "Gerry Taggart was a defender so must only coach, and is solely responsible for, the defence" envelope? 

No, it's just common sense that a non elite foreign coach will be more comfortable working with his compatriots.

I suspect without the homegrown quotas we'd be watching a team of 11 foreigners.

14 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Seems we've become the football equivalent of the French foreign legion but without the tough guys

Because I'm feeling quite random today, I used to work with a guy (traffic warden supervisor) who had been in the Foreign Legion and had had all his teeth pulled out with pliers whilst he was hanging upside down from a rope. He later became a mercenary in Africa and was on death row after getting captured but survived when the tide turned. His mate was an Armenian guy who has been nightclubbing with Osama bin Laden and several of his brothers.

Anyway, as you were.

3 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Because I'm feeling quite random today, I used to work with a guy (traffic warden supervisor) who had been in the Foreign Legion and had had all his teeth pulled out with pliers whilst he was hanging upside down from a rope. He later became a mercenary in Africa and was on death row after getting captured but survived when the tide turned. His mate was an Armenian guy who has been nightclubbing with Osama bin Laden and several of his brothers.

Anyway, as you were.

Man, the entry requirements are high to be a traffic warden.

1 minute ago, leeslover said:

Anyway, as you were.

When I received my latest parking ticket I was surprised that the issuer took such brutal offence at my protestations of innocence, same guy perhaps? 

Archived