Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Oh yeah. And none since. That's effectively 18 months since a PL club loaned us a player. 

That is startling. And he has been officially in charge only 21 months, so ti was quickly realised wasn't it.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Oh yeah. And none since. That's effectively 18 months since a PL club loaned us a player. 

They say that they prefer there own players and not loanees, and probably haven't tried that hard to get them. Maybe in January that will change. Smith was brought in to cover Nepo going out.

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

We had Delaney and Dapo from Uniteds from Manchester and West Ham too (in January 2019), but the one to last play for us is Iversen. 

Just now, rudemedic said:

We had Delaney and Dapo from Uniteds from Manchester and West Ham too (in January 2019), but the one to last play for us is Iversen. 

Fair point. Who could forget them..... Was he called Delaney? 

23 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Lost track. Who? 

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Would that be Iversen?

19 hours ago, rvlatic said:

Callum Lang?

Sam Surridge has been banging them in for Swansea and has been called up to England U21’s, I think that’s who’s being referred to here 

On 10/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, youngen said:

Im 100% implying that AL is laundering money through these players/agents and therefore imagine wages for those 4 alone are earning would cover your 11k.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, sjk2008 said:

mOnEy LaUndeRiNg

On 10/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, kowenicki said:

explain?  I mean, I know what it means, I’m just struggling with the mechanics in this particular case. 

On 10/10/2019 at 4:23 PM, ghostofcecere said:

I’ve wondered this too when this accusation has been thrown around. I’m no currency or banking expert but what if salaries were paid electronically from offshore, the player draws it in the UK and pays some back to the person he’s revived the salary from? 

So player gets £10K a week salary, pays £8K back and therefore gets £2K and A N Other person gets the £8K. Don’t know if that would work, don’t know why it would need to be done with the £ being relatively weak at the moment, no idea if it’s feasible🤷‍♂️😂 

On 10/10/2019 at 4:33 PM, al_bro said:

If you are so certain then tell the authorities and EFL to investigate him.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, kowenicki said:

Interesting.  Have you reported it? 

On 10/10/2019 at 6:32 PM, mcfluff1985 said:

The only way this could work is if the club was profitable and AL wasn't having to cover any shortfall. Otherwise he would be taking money then spending it back onto the club. 

I'll take 2k from the club then use that 2k to cover the money I'm paying out from the club...

On 10/10/2019 at 10:38 PM, jorvik_latic said:

Do you know how money laundering works?

On 10/10/2019 at 10:43 PM, TheBigDog said:

Money laundering is the generic term used to describe the process by which criminals disguise the original ownership and control of the proceeds of criminal conduct by making such proceeds appear to have derived from a legitimate source. The processes by which criminally derived property may be laundered are extensive.

Doubt that it’s happening here.

Some reckless comments being thrown around and I do not think there is any truth in any such rumours.

For the benefit of several posters, however, I shall explain how (in theory) money laundering could operate via any business (including a football club). I won't bore you with all the changes in money laundering over the years but just accept that POCA completely changed the landscape and thinking. Mcfluff, in particular, has seemed perplexed over the months as to the mechanics.

Quite simply, the way it could work is that "dirty money" could be drip fed via a business to "clean it up". So, let's take an imaginary football club :-

The owner hails from the "Golden Triangle" (the drugs one) and he/his associates are heavily involved in the drugs trade which (in that region) literally generates billions. It's getting a little "hot" out there and he's struggling to hide his illicit gains. So, he buys a struggling football club abroad and, over the years, is able to feed millions into the club to "keep them afloat".  In very simple terms, his drugs money is laundered via the club and ends up legitimised via whatever means (players' contracts, procurement, capex etc.) That is one of the easiest methods of money laundering - turning dirty money into clean money. It goes on all the time via many businesses from chinese launderettes (where the term money laundering originally derived from) through to restaurants/takeaways/pubs etc. The businesses are vehicles used for putting dirty cash through. To the outside world they look legit (indeed, you can buy a meal or a kebab, pint or get your clothes washed there) BUT their takings are inflated by the illicit monies.

Money launderers are always quite willing to take a large "hit" on their dirty money - but will find a way (e.g. directors' dividends, repayment of directors' loans) to get the proceeds out of the other end (the "hit" is a much better alternative than years in prison). Finally, trust me, if you think big banks' AMLCTF systems prevent such things - think again - as in everything, money talks and it's far more likely a middle aged lady will get refused a modest loan because she doesn't have a passport than a multi millionaire will not be allowed to transfer millions over the years via his offshore accounts.

P.S. - before simplythemostimportantkick berates me - I`m only posting this to answer incessant questions about "how". I`m posting nowt about Latics any more - you all know my stance.

Can I repeat that I do not suspect money laundering at Latics - I am merely clarifying how one aspect of money laundering can work via any business as everyone seems to have missed the pertinent issues.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Some reckless comments being thrown around and I do not think there is any truth in any such rumours.

For the benefit of several posters, however, I shall explain how (in theory) money laundering could operate via any business (including a football club). I won't bore you with all the changes in money laundering over the years but just accept that POCA completely changed the landscape and thinking. Mcfluff, in particular, has seemed perplexed over the months as to the mechanics.

Quite simply, the way it could work is that "dirty money" could be drip fed via a business to "clean it up". So, let's take an imaginary football club :-

The owner hails from the "Golden Triangle" (the drugs one) and he/his associates are heavily involved in the drugs trade which (in that region) literally generates billions. It's getting a little "hot" out there and he's struggling to hide his illicit gains. So, he buys a struggling football club abroad and, over the years, is able to feed millions into the club to "keep them afloat".  In very simple terms, his drugs money is laundered via the club and ends up legitimised via whatever means (players' contracts, procurement, capex etc.) That is one of the easiest methods of money laundering - turning dirty money into clean money. It goes on all the time via many businesses from chinese launderettes (where the term money laundering originally derived from) through to restaurants/takeaways/pubs etc. The businesses are vehicles used for putting dirty cash through. To the outside world they look legit (indeed, you can buy a meal or a kebab, pint or get your clothes washed there) BUT their takings are inflated by the illicit monies.

Money launderers are always quite willing to take a large "hit" on their dirty money - but will find a way (e.g. directors' dividends, repayment of directors' loans) to get the proceeds out of the other end (the "hit" is a much better alternative than years in prison). Finally, trust me, if you think big banks' AMLCTF systems prevent such things - think again - as in everything, money talks and it's far more likely a middle aged lady will get refused a modest loan because she doesn't have a passport than a multi millionaire will not be allowed to transfer millions over the years via his offshore accounts.

P.S. - before simplythemostimportantkick berates me - I`m only posting this to answer incessant questions about "how". I`m posting nowt about Latics any more - you all know my stance.

Can I repeat that I do not suspect money laundering at Latics - I am merely clarifying how one aspect of money laundering can work via any business as everyone seems to have missed the pertinent issues.

Nope still cannot see how someone could launder money through a club at our level.

Would be concerned if our gates immediately increased by 2000 but our gates have gone down so it can’t be laundered this route.  

Our income hasn't immediately increased through fake concessionary sales, corporate deals etc so not here either.

Finally player purchases/sales.  If we bought a load of players with dirty cash and then sold on the same amount in a shirt space of time for similar or better sums then I’ll be concerned again.  However we can’t flog any of our players because they’re all shite.  

Only way I can see it happening is if we sign a player with dirty cash and then the selling club gives us a lower amount back.  Or we sign a player, pay him £20k pw in dirty cash and they pay us £10k back in clean cash.  Can’t see it happening.

Much as I’d love the Lemsagams to be the Pablo Escobar / Barry Seale of football club ownership but IMO its a load of bollocks.

Reality is there’s a younger brother with cash.  He entrusts his older brother , who professes to be this brilliant Sporting Director, with that cash to sign quality players and soon realises that the older brother knows fuck all about quality players.  Same younger brother entrusts some of his legal friends to secure him a football club and those friends were deaf, dumb and blind when it comes to due diligence.  To make matters worse this younger brother knows fuck all about lower league English football and fortunately meets this amazing football administrator who’s knowledgeable about lower league football....and we all know how dangerous a little knowledge is!

That younger brother is now pleading for sympathy because of how much money he’s haemorrhaging....because one of his mates didn’t do due diligence...and he’s spent a lot more on the club than he expected....and because his older brother has bought shite so the club gets relegated and now struggling in basement league...and he’s spending a lot more than he expected on replacing managers whilst the crowds are dropping because shite footballers = shite football.

21 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Nope still cannot see how someone could launder money through a club at our level.

Would be concerned if our gates immediately increased by 2000 but our gates have gone down so it can’t be laundered this route.  

Our income hasn't immediately increased through fake concessionary sales, corporate deals etc so not here either.

Finally player purchases/sales.  If we bought a load of players with dirty cash and then sold on the same amount in a shirt space of time for similar or better sums then I’ll be concerned again.  However we can’t flog any of our players because they’re all shite.  

Only way I can see it happening is if we sign a player with dirty cash and then the selling club gives us a lower amount back.  Or we sign a player, pay him £20k pw in dirty cash and they pay us £10k back in clean cash.  Can’t see it happening.

Much as I’d love the Lemsagams to be the Pablo Escobar / Barry Seale of football club ownership but IMO its a load of bollocks.

Reality is there’s a younger brother with cash.  He entrusts his older brother , who professes to be this brilliant Sporting Director, with that cash to sign quality players and soon realises that the older brother knows fuck all about quality players.  Same younger brother entrusts some of his legal friends to secure him a football club and those friends were deaf, dumb and blind when it comes to due diligence.  To make matters worse this younger brother knows fuck all about lower league English football and fortunately meets this amazing football administrator who’s knowledgeable about lower league football....and we all know how dangerous a little knowledge is!

That younger brother is now pleading for sympathy because of how much money he’s haemorrhaging....because one of his mates didn’t do due diligence...and he’s spent a lot more on the club than he expected....and because his older brother has bought shite so the club gets relegated and now struggling in basement league...and he’s spending a lot more than he expected on replacing managers whilst the crowds are dropping because shite footballers = shite football.

I’ll buy almost all that argument.... the things still irk me are.... are we pedalling the 3rd brother’s players in order to earn him/his business some money in the hope of finding a genuine decent one to milk for more cash.... and/or, are we paying shite like Maouche & the likes £4K a week through the books but he’s not seeing it all for a professional contract no fooker else would give him.... other than that, as you were.

I've mentioned 2 big young centre forwards on loan to the club. 

One is with a Premiership club and scoring plenty of goals for their u23s, so it might be difficult to get him, but not impossible. The other is an 18yo England under 19 international with a Northern Championship club, never been on loan who isnt in first team plans as far as I know.  He has appeared in the past though.

Hope something happens.

50 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s 3 moths away BP...I rather think we need someone now. There must be some suitable free agents somewhere....surely?

Freudian slip there.

I think you meant months, although we do look a moth eaten outfit.

Not that I know of. As Dino says, January will see some rebuilding.

Archived