Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

All are over 6ft 2 ins, so no more lightweights might be a good thing in this league.

They could be 6ft 2 and soft as shit or they could be 5ft 4 and fight like a bastard think Billy Bremner David Batty or even Nick Henry or Darren Sheridan.

Although I take your point some height in our backline is needed as we are giving away too many goals from balls into the box.

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Confirmed

Exactly the type of player who could benefit enormously from playing alongside an experienced centre half who has played at a much higher level and is a captain of his current and previous club.....

I don't know what we expect. There isn't going to be any "wow!" signings while the club is at this level and current circumstances. Every time any player signs, I am genuinely surprised they would want to join Oldham Athletic...have they not done their homework...or has somebody at the club got a silver tongue?

I won't pre-judge any player until they have had a chance to show their worth.

41 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I don't know what we expect. There isn't going to be any "wow!" signings while the club is at this level and current circumstances. Every time any player signs, I am genuinely surprised they would want to join Oldham Athletic...have they not done their homework...or has somebody at the club got a silver tongue?

Not to be bottom of league 2.

Which is the problem with Oldham fans we clearly have far too high expectations.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

...there are 92 league clubs....if they have all have first team  squads of 25 that is 2300 first team footballers in the country....if they are aged from 18 to 32 that is 165 footballers a year who make it to a pro team first squad........why wouldn’t any pro footballer not want one of those jobs

we might call player x or y crap but in reality they are really genuinely  elite players ...even if at Latics they seem less elite than others 

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

They could be 6ft 2 and soft as shit or they could be 5ft 4 and fight like a bastard think Billy Bremner David Batty or even Nick Henry or Darren Sheridan.

Although I take your point some height in our backline is needed as we are giving away too many goals from balls into the box.

I have a very old and very fond memory of Bobby Collins playing for us at the end of his career. Great player and a very short fuse.

In one game he got very fed up with an opposing player who looked to be almost a foot higher than Bobby. Somewhere around the centre circle and with the ref not far away, Collins leapt like a salmon and chinned the guy, perfect uppercut. It was hilarious. Instant red card nowadays, but I think he might have got away with a lecture.

12 hours ago, Wardie said:

I'm not surprised in the slightest that players with virtually no league experience are willing to sign for a league club.

My worry is that this squad is massively lacking in experience and we've done little to address that.  How many in our squad have over 100 league games under their belt?  Leaving Wheater out (because they are leaving Wheater out), I'd guess Jombati, Grant, Hamer maybe?

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I have a very old and very fond memory of Bobby Collins playing for us at the end of his career. Great player and a very short fuse.

In one game he got very fed up with an opposing player who looked to be almost a foot higher than Bobby. Somewhere around the centre circle and with the ref not far away, Collins leapt like a salmon and chinned the guy, perfect uppercut. It was hilarious. Instant red card nowadays, but I think he might have got away with a lecture.

It's not the dog in the fight it's the fight in the dog.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:22 PM, yarddog73 said:

6 points if we are lucky.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:17 AM, League one forever said:

Optimistic. 

Optimistically speaking, it appears that our 'luck' is changing.

2 games, 4 points.

Now... if Kewell could just stop fecking about with his line up.

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Optimistically speaking, it appears that our 'luck' is changing.

2 games, 4 points.

Now... if Kewell could just stop fecking about with his line up.

Aye. 

The old adage of wait for ten games is still true. I’d wager we will be bottom third at that stage- which given our budget and the investment in the squad is probably about right. 

I think the goals in the side will make sure we don’t go down. 

18 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Jack Wilshere says in an interview with Sky Sports he is “open to pretty much anything. I want to play for a club where I feel like I’m an important part of it. I just want to play games”.

Sign him up!!

so he can play 17 minutes for us and get injured and be out for the remainder of his contract.

Archived