Transfer Rumours

16 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Striking a controversial note........... I don't think we played to Garrity's strength.

He strikes me as a box to box attacking midfielder who we played as a defensive midfielder at times and also expected him to slot into a ball playing tippy-tappy side.

We didn't play to his strength in that we played a game involving a spherical thing called a "ball".

You can't be an attacking midfielder if you can't trap a ball and you can't be a defensive midfielder if you can't tackle.

If all we need is someone to run around tirelessly in the middle of the park whilst the ball pings off them randomly, we should save the wage and play a spaniel instead.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Striking a controversial note........... I don't think we played to Garrity's strength.

He strikes me as a box to box attacking midfielder who we played as a defensive midfielder at times and also expected him to slot into a ball playing tippy-tappy side.

Time will tell whether I'm proved right but I hope he flourishes at Vale if only for the amount of abuse he's got on here ! :hanged:

Garrity only had two good games for us. Whether attacking midfielder or defensive midfielder, still needs the basic ability to pass to a colleague most of the time. What PV's manager sees in him to pay a fee I don't know, except he has the energy to run around for 90 mins.

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

Garrity only had two good games for us. Whether attacking midfielder or defensive midfielder, still needs the basic ability to pass to a colleague most of the time. What PV's manager sees in him to pay a fee I don't know, except he has the energy to run around for 90 mins.

I have a similar recollection of Ben Garrity, two decent games, then very inconsistent otherwise.

Probably better playing in an advanced position.

Really wanted him to come good, as he appears to be rated by several coaches.

The compliment I paid him a few times, was his positional sense.

Scored a couple and was in the right area to miss quite a few more.

Seemed to be lacking in confidence and wasnt alone in the utterly terrible 'pass to a blue shirt for christ sake' league of shame.

I sincerely hope he does well at Vale, wouldnt be a surprise if he improved when playing with better players, in a settled side.

56 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

I have a similar recollection of Ben Garrity, two decent games, then very inconsistent otherwise.

Probably better playing in an advanced position.

Really wanted him to come good, as he appears to be rated by several coaches.

The compliment I paid him a few times, was his positional sense.

Scored a couple and was in the right area to miss quite a few more.

Seemed to be lacking in confidence and wasnt alone in the utterly terrible 'pass to a blue shirt for christ sake' league of shame.

I sincerely hope he does well at Vale, wouldnt be a surprise if he improved when playing with better players, in a settled side.

This is a really fair and balanced view of his time with us.

Yes he was limited but people forget it was his first season in pro football with us. He’ll forge a career at league 2 level in my view.

Also as limited as we was he still continued to try and show for the ball which is always a given in a modern day Latics player.

Before someone says he ran around a lot, I completely agree we need an upgrade.

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If he does go then hopefully an Initial fee plus sell-on clause that we don’t sell on ...

(*) I read that Norwich who have just sold Buendia to Villa for a fee rising to £38m bought out the release clause that would have netted Getafe millions 😱

Micah Richards is on telly a lot these days, and still my blood pressure rises when i see him (nothing to do with the lad, of course). Great, Vaughan and we have another 15 years of it. It should finish me off....

Oliver Kilner joins us from United - do we know anything about him?

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I see the youth set up now as being way more important in fund raising via sales than providing a path to our first team.

I think Pete Wild said its the only part of the football club that actually makes a profit for that reason alone it should be nurtured. We do also get the likes of Hamer and Edmondson who come into the first team.

If you were to buy Oldham Athletic you should logically make the youth setup pivotal to any rebuilding.

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Micah Richards is on telly a lot these days, and still my blood pressure rises when i see him (nothing to do with the lad, of course). Great, Vaughan and we have another 15 years of it. It should finish me off....

Oliver Kilner joins us from United - do we know anything about him?

He is shite, 

Just wanted to be the first to say it, truth is I know fuck all about him. 

52 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Heard a little whisper this morning that we are after Matty Warburton. Just released at Northampton, previously at Stockport...

Good at Stockport not so good at Northampton and Yeovil.

The new Danny Rowe?

56 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Heard a little whisper this morning that we are after Matty Warburton. Just released at Northampton, previously at Stockport...

Another Danny Rowe? 

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

He is shite, 

Just wanted to be the first to say it, truth is I know fuck all about him. 

Hahaha. Excellent. 

I think he's only 18, but they obviously see his potential lies elsewhere. Apparently he's a RB and he's 'extremely competitive,' which might be code for he runs around but he's a bit crap. We shall see.

CBJ about to sign a two year deal with Burton. I'm surprised he can be arsed to pick up the pen.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Not sure about this as it was KC who allowed Matty Warburton to leave and join Yeovil in the conference. 

Archived