Transfer Rumours

9 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I think Brentford have got there based on their owners pumping in tens of millions 

They have made more money than they have spent....for example part of their policy is tovalue all their players and if anybody is prepared to meet that value the player is sold irrespective of his contribution to the team.  Based on outcomes they  have scrapped their youth system in favour of investing in an under 23 development squad. . They signed the likes of Watkins, Toney and Tarkowski based on the metrics of their performance suggesting they were undervalued in the market

Their owner made his fortune out of Hedge funds and professional betting.  Put simplistically he applied the same principles to run the club,.....first and foremost take emotion out of decision making and do the analysis of the stats and the probabilities 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Derek Pringle said the same about cricket today, too many coaches and analysts.

Convince me now they have improved the batsmen in particular?

You can't of course as you blindly believe the hype everything modern is unbeatable.

As for music, convince me modern technology has improved that too?

Glad I was young in the 1960s and 70s, players like Bobby Johnstone and Alan Groves had individual flair and weren't judged by how many kilometres they ran in a game.

Only Grealish matches them today and yet Southgate wants him to defend more for the team..that's when he reluctantly picks him.

Barnsley have completely abandoned scouting.  Seems to be serving them well

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You can't of course as you blindly believe the hype everything modern is unbeatable.

Glad I was young in the 1960s and 70s, players like Bobby Johnstone and Alan Groves had individual flair and weren't judged by how many kilometres they ran in a game.

Only Grealish matches them today and yet Southgate wants him to defend more for the team..that's when he reluctantly picks him.

14 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

And he just keeps digging that hole.

There's not much in BP's post above that any sane person would disagree with. I'm sure he wasn't making a direct comparison of just Groves v Grealish and other current players, but rather players in general then v now. The obsession with keeping possession, leading to endless sideways and backward passing, is boring.

There are certainly aspects of the modern game that are unintentionally hilarious. The Czech Republic's 2nd goal v Scotland is a case in point. For all that it was a wonderful strike, why the keeper felt he needed to be on patrol close to the centre circle is a mystery to me. The obsession with sweeper keepers is bizarre. The clue is in the name - goalkeeper, not centre circle keeper. Yet the TV pundits blamed Hendry for taking on the shot, and barely mentioned the fact that Marshall was standing near the centre circle at the time.

13 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I think Brentford have got there based on their owners pumping in tens of millions 

Yes but they have done it methodically and analysed player in depth which as has been stated made a profit on player trading and given them success on the pitch against clubs with bigger budgets. Meanwhile Derby and Sheffield Wednesday 2 significantly bigger clubs have been fighting relegation. 

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

So again all the top coaches around the world are wrong and your right?

Have you seen the size of Pep Guardiolas back room team he has an army of people monitoring all aspects of performance, looking at the success they have had Im guessing they are onto something. As for Derek Pringles comments well we can go back to the 90's if we want that was a glorious era for English cricket wasn't it.

If you want to compare it to sides of 60's and 70's well why don't we compare it to the greatest side of that era in fact of any era the Brazil team of 1970. A magnificently flamboyant and talented side, but their preparations for this were meticulous. The team was taken away on a training camp to train at altitude, the players diet and sleeping patterns were monitored and controlled and they even spent time with NASA. They were the most flamboyant sidevof all time but their preparations were rooted in science way ahead of the nations at the time.

I'll give you music mind The Beatles The Stones Led Zep etc whipe the floor with anything around now.

37 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

There's not much in BP's post above that any sane person would disagree with. I'm sure he wasn't making a direct comparison of just Groves v Grealish and other current players, but rather players in general then v now. The obsession with keeping possession, leading to endless sideways and backward passing, is boring.

There are certainly aspects of the modern game that are unintentionally hilarious. The Czech Republic's 2nd goal v Scotland is a case in point. For all that it was a wonderful strike, why the keeper felt he needed to be on patrol close to the centre circle is a mystery to me. The obsession with sweeper keepers is bizarre. The clue is in the name - goalkeeper, not centre circle keeper. Yet the TV pundits blamed Hendry for taking on the shot, and barely mentioned the fact that Marshall was standing near the centre circle at the time.

I disagree count me as insane

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

It’s the lack of balance. 

There are some old school values that are still valid today. But the game has also moved on in a multitude of ways. BP doesn’t/won’t acknowledge this, preferring to repeatedly state that everything was better back in the day. Which is romanticised nonsense.  

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s the lack of balance. 

There are some old school values that are still valid today. But the game has also moved on in a multitude of ways. BP doesn’t/won’t acknowledge this, preferring to repeatedly state that everything was better back in the day. Which is romanticised nonsense.  

It's moved on yes, no doubt about that, but not always for the better.

This is a particularly difficult issue for Latics and England fans. Since my first game at Boundary Park as a 7 year old in 1965, let's face it I've had 56 years of largely football disappointment, apart from the golden years under Royle. Ditto following England - I can only dimly remember the 1966 World Cup (and certainly wasn't fully aware of its importance at the time) and there haven't been too many highlights following the national team since. I feel conditioned to dull mediocrity.

Modern footballers are superb physical athletes, and I don't begrudge them a penny of their crazy salaries because one bad injury can end a career at any point, but there's no doubt in my view that individual flair and maverick characters just aren't around in the numbers they used to be. Whether it's saturation TV coverage, or coaches driving out the excitement, the game's not the same. Sure you still see a Ronaldo or a Messi from time to time, but the last exceptionally gifted English player I can think of was Gascoigne, and he was 30 years ago. Grealish and Foden may get there, but they're not at that level yet. And don't get me started on what the "Premier" League has done to domestic football........

13 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

This is a particularly difficult issue for Latics and England fans. Since my first game at Boundary Park as a 7 year old in 1965, let's face it I've had 56 years of largely football disappointment, apart from the golden years under Royle. Ditto following England - I can only dimly remember the 1966 World Cup (and certainly wasn't fully aware of its importance at the time) and there haven't been too many highlights following the national team since. I feel conditioned to dull mediocrity.

Modern footballers are superb physical athletes, and I don't begrudge them a penny of their crazy salaries because one bad injury can end a career at any point, but there's no doubt in my view that individual flair and maverick characters just aren't around in the numbers they used to be. Whether it's saturation TV coverage, or coaches driving out the excitement, the game's not the same. Sure you still see a Ronaldo or a Messi from time to time, but the last exceptionally gifted English player I can think of was Gascoigne, and he was 30 years ago. Grealish and Foden may get there, but they're not at that level yet. And don't get me started on what the "Premier" League has done to domestic football........

Wayne Rooney was pretty good.

It’s like when people get all bleary eyed thinking of the 50’s

Polio, racial intolerance even worse than today and getting a criminal record for being gay and going outside to use the toilet (which is some london slums was shared with upto 5 other families)

what a time to be alive 

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Polio, racial intolerance even worse than today and getting a criminal record for being gay and going outside to use the toilet (which is some london slums was shared with upto 5 other families)

what a time to be alive 

Aye 

Or when people prefer ‘characters’ which is code for pisshead who can play football, to athletes that don’t drink and look after themselves with hipster stuff like swimming. 

13 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

what a time to be alive 

In the village where I used to live I was drafted onto a committee to organise Diamond Jubilee celebrations.  There were 1950s games planned for the kids -skipping, hopscotch, marbles etc.  My suggestion of 'rickett's when someone asked what else kids had in the 50s wasn't met with universal approval...

7 hours ago, Wednesday said:

They have made more money than they have spent....for example part of their policy is tovalue all their players and if anybody is prepared to meet that value the player is sold irrespective of his contribution to the team.  Based on outcomes they  have scrapped their youth system in favour of investing in an under 23 development squad. . They signed the likes of Watkins, Toney and Tarkowski based on the metrics of their performance suggesting they were undervalued in the market

Their owner made his fortune out of Hedge funds and professional betting.  Put simplistically he applied the same principles to run the club,.....first and foremost take emotion out of decision making and do the analysis of the stats and the probabilities 

Prior to them being promoted, and with Griffin Park yet to redeveloped, Mr. Benham was still c£90m in deficit even after the income he's made on transfers;

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

In the village where iI used to live I was drafted onto a committee to organise Diamond Jubilee celebrations.  There were 1950s games planned for the kids -skipping, hopscotch, marbles etc.  My suggestion of 'rickett's when someone asked what else kids had in the 50s wasn't met with universal approval...

😂

3 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Prior to them being promoted, and with Griffin Park yet to redeveloped, Mr. Benham was still c£90m in deficit even after the income he's made on transfer's;

In cash terms?  But with plenty of assets?

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye 

Or when people prefer ‘characters’ which is code for pisshead who can play football, to athletes that don’t drink and look after themselves with hipster stuff like swimming. 

Alan Groves didn't touch alcohol.

23 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

what a time to be alive 

30-40 years from now Ive no doubt many of todays millennials and Gen Z will be wagging their fingers at the younger generation of the time telling them how much better things where when they were young.

Have to say to counter this I wouldn't mind if things like house prices went back to what they were in the 1960's

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

I miss the art of a good winger. Expansive football played at a high tempo with wingers (one would do). Loved it. Miss the cries of 'skin him.'

But agree - footballers today are great athletes and most are very professional. No more drinking clubs after training.

41 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Prior to them being promoted, and with Griffin Park yet to redeveloped, Mr. Benham was still c£90m in deficit even after the income he's made on transfer's;

And the prize money for finishing bottom of Premier League is £96.6 million 

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'm surprised FGR's keeper hasn't been caught out like that. 

Archived