Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

So again all the top coaches around the world are wrong and your right?

Have you seen the size of Pep Guardiolas back room team he has an army of people monitoring all aspects of performance, looking at the success they have had Im guessing they are onto something. As for Derek Pringles comments well we can go back to the 90's if we want that was a glorious era for English cricket wasn't it.

If you want to compare it to sides of 60's and 70's well why don't we compare it to the greatest side of that era in fact of any era the Brazil team of 1970. A magnificently flamboyant and talented side, but their preparations for this were meticulous. The team was taken away on a training camp to train at altitude, the players diet and sleeping patterns were monitored and controlled and they even spent time with NASA. They were the most flamboyant sidevof all time but their preparations were rooted in science way ahead of the nations at the time.

I'll give you music mind The Beatles The Stones Led Zep etc whipe the floor with anything around now.

Pep also has a bottomless pit of money at his disposal.

5 minutes ago, Wednesday said:

And the prize money for finishing bottom of Premier League is £96.6 million 

That's right (alebit much of that will go on Premier League wages, as Kieran Maguire points out regularly enough, salary cost to income ratio is often very close to 100%).... and he hasn't received any money from the redevelopment of Griffin Park yet either..... but for accuracy, it was worth pointing out he is c£90m in deficit currently....

12 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I miss the art of a good winger. Expansive football played at a high tempo with wingers (one would do). Loved it. Miss the cries of 'skin him.'

But agree - footballers today are great athletes and most are very professional. No more drinking clubs after training.

Wingers are one aspect of football thats changed quite alot in the last 20-30 years. Back in the days of Rick Holden wingers were expected to cross the ball. Even in relatively recent times the likes of Ryan Giggs and David Beckhams first duty was to get the ball in the box.

This is where the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Mesi changed football as rather than crossing the ball they became wide forwards who were would beat a man and try a shot rather than beat a man and try a cross. Now you see the likes of Mo Salah doing the same. Even at our level that has changed as Dylan Bahamboula and Connor Mcaleney are wide players who are more renowned for goalscoring than crossing. 

I think both of them have their merits I could imagine if Holden was playing today he would probably play from the right and score 20 a season rather than get 20 assists.

1 minute ago, BPAS said:

Correct.

1 minute ago, BPAS said:

That's right.... and he hasn't received any money from the redevelopment of Griffin Park yet either..... but for accuracy, it was worth pointing out he is c£90 in deficit currently....

Not if his assets exceed £90 million he isn’t 

3 minutes ago, BPAS said:

You've got to have access to £90m of cash to be able to invest though.....

That’s not the  original discussion though .....he has not “bought” success like City he has a modus operandi based on analysis statistics and probability. and is in profit 

3 minutes ago, Wednesday said:

That’s not the  original discussion though .....he has not “bought” success like City he has a modus operandi based on analysis statistics and probability. and is in profit 

We weren't saying he has. We were simply saying he has put £90m in..... because the Chair of Brentford's Trust and rep on the Brentford board, who was once editor in chief of ITN news, told us so. Have you listened to podcast episode?

2 minutes ago, BPAS said:

We weren't saying he has. We were simply saying he has put £90m in..... because the Chair of Brentford Trust and rep on the Brentford board told us so. Have you listened to podcast episode?

I have put £x into buying my house...it is now worth £x + £y and I didn’t need access to £x i only needed somebody to lend it to me.     Fundamentally there is little difference ? 

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wingers are one aspect of football thats changed quite alot in the last 20-30 years. Back in the days of Rick Holden wingers were expected to cross the ball. Even in relatively recent times the likes of Ryan Giggs and David Beckhams first duty was to get the ball in the box.

This is where the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Mesi changed football as rather than crossing the ball they became wide forwards who were would beat a man and try a shot rather than beat a man and try a cross. Now you see the likes of Mo Salah doing the same. Even at our level that has changed as Dylan Bahamboula and Connor Mcaleney are wide players who are more renowned for goalscoring than crossing. 

I think both of them have their merits I could imagine if Holden was playing today he would probably play from the right and score 20 a season rather than get 20 assists.

Maybe because good big centre forwards are rare in today's game. 

The Brentford chairman was on Sky hews this morning, saying that they wouldn't be changing their policy when recruiting this summer. He is also expecting the new stadium to bring in substantial revenue this season because it will be full every home game (covid permitting). They will not be tempted to overspend on wages either.

Just now, Wednesday said:

I have put £x into buying my house...it is now worth £x + £y and I didn’t need access to £x i only needed somebody to lend it to me.     Fundamentally there is little difference ? 

OK, Mr Benham has not borrowed £90m. It's his own money he's put it in. He's a multi-multi-millionaire.

Just now, BPAS said:

OK, Mr Benham has not borrowed £90m. It's his own money he's put it in. He's a multi-multi-millionaire.

Yes but there are multi millionaires who have bought football clubs and are now less multi while Mr Bentham is more multi by embracing analysis statistics probability and player metrics in guiding football and transfer policy. It was the deriding of analysis of player characteristics and outcomes  which I was challenging 

3 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Maybe because good big centre forwards are rare in today's game. 

The Brentford chairman was on Sky hews this morning, saying that they wouldn't be changing their policy when recruiting this summer. He is also expecting the new stadium to bring in substantial revenue this season because it will be full every home game (covid permitting). They will not be tempted to overspend on wages either.

Im sure you can find plenty of tall lads who will happily play centre forward. In fact England have Harry Kane who can both get on the end of crosses and play between the lines

As for Brentford not changing their policy absolutely they shouldn't and why should they its clearly a winning formula although it may need tweaking every now and again. Id imagine Benham might claw back some of his money next season though.

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'll give you music mind The Beatles The Stones Led Zep etc whipe the floor with anything around now.

A decent post until the final paragraph… it’s a definite sign that you’re getting old when you believe that current music doesn’t compare with what’s gone before 😃

19 minutes ago, Wednesday said:

Yes but there are multi millionaires who have bought football clubs and are now less multi while Mr Bentham is more multi by embracing analysis statistics probability and player metrics in guiding football and transfer policy. It was the deriding of analysis of player characteristics and outcomes  which I was challenging 

Awaits BP to tell us stats will never beat a pair of eyes. 

39 minutes ago, Wednesday said:

OK

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

In the village where I used to live I was drafted onto a committee to organise Diamond Jubilee celebrations.  There were 1950s games planned for the kids -skipping, hopscotch, marbles etc.  My suggestion of 'rickett's when someone asked what else kids had in the 50s wasn't met with universal approval...

Rickets largely disappeared from Britain in the 1950s, helped by mass distribution of cod liver oil to children. It has actually been on the increase in the last decade.

https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/rickets-making-comeback-uk-doctors-say-8c11561862

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

It’s like when people get all bleary eyed thinking of the 50’s

Polio, racial intolerance even worse than today and getting a criminal record for being gay and going outside to use the toilet (which is some london slums was shared with upto 5 other families)

what a time to be alive 

What exactly has any of that got to do with the evolution of professional football over the last 50 years?

Damn that 1914/15 Latics team. How dare they finish Div 1 runners-up at a time when women didn't even have the vote, the privileged buggers. 🙄

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

30-40 years from now Ive no doubt many of todays millennials and Gen Z will be wagging their fingers at the younger generation of the time telling them how much better things where when they were young.

Have to say to counter this I wouldn't mind if things like house prices went back to what they were in the 1960's

True,  Though I don’t think I’ll ever miss getting up to turn the TV over, Having to actually speak to someone for and even go and get a takeaway or having to choose between CEEFAX or a TeleText and it taking about an hour on both to reach anything Latics related.

And that was just the early 90’s 

Granted my parents did the takeaways but I still had to go with them 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Aye 

Or when people prefer ‘characters’ which is code for pisshead who can play football, to athletes that don’t drink and look after themselves with hipster stuff like swimming. 

Given the choice I'd rather have watched George Best any day of the week rather than, say, Scott Parker, who ran around and sweated a lot but didn't do a whole lot else.

Given the salaries I'd say the least modern players should do is look after themselves.

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Given the choice I'd rather have watched George Best any day of the week rather than, say, Scott Parker, who ran around and sweated a lot but didn't do a whole lot else.

Given the salaries I'd say the least modern players should do is look after themselves.

Scott Parker is a poor analogy - wasn’t that great at Chelsea and certainly not in Best’s league

Ronaldo and Best is a closer comparison and the fact that Ronaldo has a body that looks like it was chiselled in granite (so I’m told) and still has his own working liver I know which one I’d say looked after himself 

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

What exactly has any of that got to do with the evolution of professional football over the last 50 years?

Damn that 1914/15 Latics team. How dare they finish Div 1 runners-up at a time when women didn't even have the vote, the privileged buggers. 🙄

It was more about certain people looking to the past with rose tinted glasses in all aspects of life and absolutely refusing point blank to accept some things are better - some are the same - and some could be better 

Archived